Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mystery men on Jimmy’s radar

Mystery men on Jimmy’s radar

Published: 06/12/2008

ABERDEEN are homing in on at least two potential January transfer targets.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood confirmed they are interested in two of the players who were scouted over the last three weeks.

Calderwood and his coaching staff have been out and about spying at games in England’s reserve and lower leagues.

Calderwood said: “A couple of the players we watched caught the eye and we shall wait and see what happens. We are still working hard and have drawn up loads of lists.

“I would rather not give any more details at this stage.â€

The extent of business done by the Dons in January will be influenced by whether the six senior players whose deals are expiring sign new contracts.

Skipper Scott Severin, Darren Mackie, Jamie Smith, Derek Young, Jeffrey de Visscher and Lee Mair would all be free to speak to other clubs from January 1.

It’s believed the Dons are keen to offer deals to all six, although Calderwood was reluctant to confirm that at this stage.

“I’ll talk to the players first before I tell the press,†said the Dons boss.

“The talks with the players will be sorted out – one way or another – before the end of January.â€

Calderwood’s biggest fear is club’s south of the border might come in and offer better deals – as they did when Michael Hart and Chris Clark moved on last January.

He said: “Scottish clubs just can’t compete with the money on offer in England.

“If a player wants to go, there is nothing we can do to stop them and that goes for the Old Firm as well.

“Replacing them with ones of the same quality is the hard bit.â€

The Dons are hopeful that winger Smith, who has been sidelined by a calf injury, will be back in action before Christmas.

Calderwood said: “Jamie is back training and in good spirits.â€

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of the players we watched caught the eye and we shall wait and see what happens. We are still working hard and have drawn up loads of lists. I would rather not give any more details at this stage.

:thumbsup: Finally he keeps his trap shut. Actually, to be fair he's learned his lesson over the past 12 months or so. NOBODY saw the Aluko deal coming!

If this is the case, why's he not getting a game?  (not arguing/debating, just genuinely interested in why he's not getting a game)

The form of Derek Young. ;)

I think he had a couple of stinkers then missed a game due to his wife being in labour, which co-incided with us playing a lot better, then got injured too.

His only appearance I have seen this season, apart from the ICT game where EVERYONE was shite, was against Motherwell the other week and he looked every bit the player we probably should have expected when he was bigged up JC on signing.