Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Mystery men on Jimmy’s radar

The form of Derek Young. ;)

I think he had a couple of stinkers then missed a game due to his wife being in labour, which co-incided with us playing a lot better, then got injured too.

His only appearance I have seen this season, apart from the ICT game where EVERYONE was shite, was against Motherwell the other week and he looked every bit the player we probably should have expected when he was bigged up JC on signing.

From the little I've seen of him, inconsistency seems to be his problem, although I guess we could say that about the team as a whole? 

I think he's the sort of player who'll look brilliant in a team that's flying, but on the other side of the coin, he'll look anonymous when a team's playing sh*te.  He needs a run of games...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the little I've seen of him, inconsistency seems to be his problem, although I guess we could say that about the team as a whole? 

I think he's the sort of player who'll look brilliant in a team that's flying, but on the other side of the coin, he'll look anonymous when a team's playing sh*te.  He needs a run of games...

He's never given a chance long enough to see if he's consistent or otherwise. He's generally one of the first players dropped regardless of form. Not sure why that is, but I'd like to see him get a decent run in the side. If he gets that, and it's not happening then fair enough, let the guy go.  I just feel his craft has been sacrificed too readily for the graft of guys like Young and Foster.

I just feel his craft has been sacrificed too readily for the graft of guys like Young and Foster.

Totally agree with what you're saying, but considering the team's form this season, isn't it understandable that JC has played Young over De Visscher given the latter is more of a luxury player?

Doesn't seem as injury prone, although only Jamie Smith, aka Mrs Columbo, has a record near his.

The similarities that I draw between him an Touzani are that he's hardly ever played regardless of when he's played well, never had a run of games, came from teams they weren't getting games at (injuries?), look quite skillful but like a bit more time on the ball and both are Dutch.

He's not featuring enough, not even as a sub and I just can't imagine why he'd be here past his current contract.

I'm still utterly convinced that this is some sort of tax dodge for the club or they're brought on board to play in the reserves and show the youngsters that the Scottish regime of 10 pints and a kebab after Liquid isn't the best way to train.

Otherwise, why not just blood one of the younger players 2 or 3 times a season?

Totally agree with what you're saying, but considering the team's form this season, isn't it understandable that JC has played Young over De Visscher given the latter is more of a luxury player?

I have never seen anything of De Visscher to suggest he is a luxury player I think he has been pretty woeful every time

I have never seen anything of De Visscher to suggest he is a luxury player I think he has been pretty woeful every time

Not in the respect that he's like Ronaldinho, more-so in that his workrate isn't the greatest compared to say Foster/Young, and we can't afford to have him in the team week on week...  :thumbsup:

I'm still utterly convinced that this is some sort of tax dodge for the club or they're brought on board to play in the reserves and show the youngsters that the Scottish regime of 10 pints and a kebab after Liquid isn't the best way to train.

Tax dodge?  ;D

Scottish regime of 10 pints and a kebab?  How many youngsters do we have that do this?  ;D

Not in the respect that he's like Ronaldinho, more-so in that his workrate isn't the greatest compared to say Foster/Young, and we can't afford to have him in the team week on week...  :thumbsup:

I'm with Hebrew on this, I think he's simply not good enough.

I keep hearing he's too slow yet people were quick enough to moan about Steve Tosh and Dempsey because of this.  The difference being that they actually played games and scored a few goals too.

[quote author=??? link=topic=6860.msg104616#msg104616 date=1228928854]Scottish regime of 10 pints and a kebab?  How many youngsters do we have that do this?  ;D

I'm with Hebrew on this, I think he's simply not good enough.

I keep hearing he's too slow yet people were quick enough to moan about Steve Tosh and Dempsey because of this. 

But then JDV can actually pass a ball, which I think should be a prerequisite for a pro footballer and in particular a midfielder. However, maybe i'm just old fashioned that way.

The difference being that they actually played games and scored a few goals too.

it's not really JDV's fault he's not getting picked though (well it will be to a point of course, but you know what i mean I'm sure). As said previously, he doesn't get anywhere near the amount of chances players of clearly less ability do (Foster, Young in particular).

Its ironic that JC promotes a Dutch style football where players must offer dynamicism and flexibility in their skill set while he brings in Dutch players like JDV who have very little versatility and so therefor find themselves on the fringes for most games.

His apparent belief that the SPL can sustain a team who play beautiful flowing football with crisp passing and multi-skilled players in a variety of roles seems to regularly give way to a bunch of squad players who are willing to run around like nutters, giving their all for the cause.

Ideology meets reality with mediocre results most Saturdays. Welcome to Aberdeen FC

His apparent belief that the SPL can sustain a team who play beautiful flowing football with crisp passing and multi-skilled players in a variety of roles seems to regularly give way to a bunch of squad players who are willing to run around like nutters, giving their all for the cause.

That may have a lot to do with the fact that the budget we have can only support the latter and as much as we would prefer the former, we just can't afford them.

That may have a lot to do with the fact that the budget we have can only support the latter and as much as we would prefer the former, we just can't afford them.

Exactly why I have said 'Ideology meets reality with mediocre results most Saturdays'