Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Robbie: I can haul Dons up the SPL - EE 8/10

Robbie: I can haul Dons up the SPL

EXCLUSIVE

By Ross McTavish

Published: 08/10/2008

PITTODRIE RETURN: Former Don Robbie Winters.

More Pictures

ROBBIE Winters today admitted he would jump at the chance to return to Pittodrie and fire the Dons off the foot of the SPL.

The SK Brann striker will come back to Scotland at the start of next month when his contract expires.

Winters revealed he could be released by the Norwegian side today.

The 33-year-old will then start his hunt for a new club, well aware of the current problems at Pittodrie. Aberdeen are rock bottom of the table, with first choice forwards Lee Miller and Darren Mackie notching just one goal in open play between them this season.

Winters insists he is capable of stepping straight back into the SPL.

He said: “I’m good enough to play in the SPL, without a doubt.

“I will consider anything and everything.

“I’m fit and ready to play, so I’m just going to look at my options and see what is the best thing to do.

“Hopefully I can get back in, score some goals, have fun and work hard.â€

SK Brann’s season ends on November 2.

But the Bergen based club yesterday announced head coach Mons Ivar Mjelde will step down at the season, which could allow Winters an early release.

“I’m going to speak to the Brann director of football today and find out exactly what is going to happen, said Winters.

“I had my family here with me but they had to go back as my daughter had to start school in the summer

“I stayed here for a couple of months with one of the boys.

“I have been in and out of the team in the second part of the season because the manager knows I am leaving and one or two other things.

“So I am happy to be coming home.â€

Winters played at Pittodrie between 1998 and 2002, scoring 41 goals in 132 appearances.

The former Dundee United player admits he has fond memories of his time at the club and still receives compliments from Dons fans.

He said: “Once or twice over here in Bergen there has been Aberdeen fans at a Brann game.

“They were saying ‘come back to Aberdeen’, which is a bit of fun.

“The club was great to me when I was there.

“I see they are struggling a little, bit but I’m sure Jimmy Calderwood is a good manager and he will turn things around.

“They won’t be down the bottom long because they also have good players.â€

Absolutely nae offence meant BB, you're only reporting the story, but been waiting for someone to post this on here since reading about him coming home in the paper yesterday ;). Only thing is I didn't expect it to contain quotes from him about it.

Hear fit you're saying Jute, but ffs compare his strike rate against our current batch of strikers.

Wouldn't give him a weekly wage, but he can have a grand a goal ;)

Typical awful headlining. ::)

Aye - also states in the article that "he would jump at the chance to return to Pittodrie and fire the Dons off the foot of the SPL" but yet have no quotes even slightly resembling that, just that he reckons he is good enough to play in the SPL and hardly likely to say he isn't when looking for new deal!!

Falkirk it is then.

Doubt it as Hughes in paper today saying they have Brian Kerr training with them after finally being released from Hibs but have no money to even offer him a short deal til Xmas.  Maybe Hibs though with them being a bit short attacking wise after the 2 Morrocans offed and they both (Winters and Mixu) played together aswell.

Doubt it as Hughes in paper today saying they have Brian Kerr training with them after finally being released from Hibs but have no money to even offer him a short deal til Xmas.  Maybe Hibs though with them being a bit short attacking wise after the 2 Morrocans offed and they both (Winters and Mixu) played together aswell.

Aye, Hibs or Hamilton I thought.

Everyone is missing something though, as I posted over on the Hat, he would surely be a better backup option than Bossu. I doubt Bossu has or ever will play in goals in a cup final.

Doubtful Langfield ever will either!!

We missed it because you posted it on the hat.  :thumbsup:

I didn't want to be like Robbo and cut and paste posts onto both  ;).

Seriously though as a striker, there are two ways to look at it.

If you look at it from a Jimmy point of view;

Is he any worse than what we have? I doubt it, sign him up!

from a sensible point of view;

Will he significantly improve the team? I doubt it, don't bother with him.

Would he not have to sign on as an amateur outwith the window anyway? If that's the case why not offer him a deal till xmas.

Did they? I must have a mental block cos I can't recall this. Who was it for?

So would I.  The performance of the rest of our so-called strikers is abysmal at the moment.

Give them a break dude. 4 goals in 10 games between them so far......over the season that could be as much as......erm........18 goals between them if we make it to 45 games  :-\