Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Comedians

SeeBass

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comedy awards are nonsense, it's the same 4 or 5 people in every category every year. Miranda Hart only got her awards because it was basically her turn. And lets be honest, her program wouldn't win awards at the BAFTAS or any serious awards ceremony.

You have to admit that her winning comedy awards is funny in itself.

Yet at the same time thoroughly depressing.

• 3 weeks later...

Doug Stanhope is probably my favourite comedian in the last 5 or 6 years.

The man is a drunk, and the drunker he gets the funnier he gets. In fact I've got him about a thousand light years ahead of Carlin, who I personally think is way overrated anyway.  Watched plenty Carlin stuff, and it's kind of amusing... but that's about it.  Nothing Carlin ever said made me crack up in the way Stanhope can.

Eddie Izzard used to be funny.  Saw him a number of times, each time he gets noticeably less funny.  Last time I saw him was in New York, when I had a run in with that Dame Edna cunt, and all Izzard spoke about was transvesticism, which was funny for the first ten minutes but by hour two was making me look at my watch to see when it would be over.  Left about 20 minutes before he finished, such was his lack of any decent material.

Oh, and David Cross is pretty funny inna.  His album, Shut Up You Fucking Baby is well worth a listen.

Yeah, I mean I'm not saying he's not funny... though the most I managed at that modern man skit was a smile when he said "I have a love-child who sends me hate mail".  Certainly intelligent and mildly amusing.... and I wouldn't at all avoid his routine if it were to come on telly or owt.

But then, Stanhope is intelligent and hilarious... though I realise hilarious is subjective.  My Mother liked Canon and Ball... and I do mean the comedy act. I'm not alluding to my dear old mum liking the cock.  I'm sure she didn't, my dear old mum.

Stanhope absolutely, 100% nails nationalism in his opening run on sentence here.

Absolutely. I'm a massive fan of Stanhope he's brilliant. I think Carlin was like a slightly more light hearted version of Lenny Bruce, where Stanhope is like Hicks but with added bitterness, which is what I like in a comedian. Guys like Michael Macintyre however just make me want to stab my eardrums with a knitting needle. Observational comedy about familys and 'everyday life' just fucking bursts me.

Guys like Michael Macintyre however just make me want to stab my eardrums with a knitting needle. Observational comedy about familys and 'everyday life' just fucking bursts me.

Each to their own, I suppose. I crack up at observational comedy. Billy Connolly made a massive career out of observational comedy, and these days the likes of Michael McIntyre and Jimeon certainly keep me entertained with what they observe.

Each to their own, I suppose. I crack up at observational comedy. Billy Connolly made a massive career out of observational comedy, and these days the likes of Michael McIntyre and Jimeon certainly keep me entertained with what they observe.

Not really that experienced in Michael macintyres stuff but as I recall his observational humour is based on general stuff in society which could happen to anyone. Pick up a copy of the metro and make a joke. My experience of Connolly is most of his observational humour comes from his actual experiences or from those who were/are close to him.

I predict Macintyre will follow the Lee Evans path and gradually fade away from the limelight (but without the movie career).