Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January Transfer Window

‘Players won’t leave Aberdeen FC because we’re too nice’

Craig Brown’s transfer dilemma

By Charlie Allan

Published: 29/12/2011

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today admitted his bid to make new signings in January could be scuppered because he can’t get players to leave the club.

Hearts, who drew 0-0 with Aberdeen at Pittodrie, are poised to lose several of their squad when the transfer window opens on Sunday because they haven’t been paying their wages.

But Brown fears he might not be able to make the changes he wants because his fringe players get treated too well by Aberdeen FC.

So with January on the horizon, who would you like to see leave and possibly be brought in as a replacement?

I'm hoping we've finally seen the last of Mackie, because i'm yet to see this pace that the commentators still talk about, which was his only "asset". I don't actually think we need another striker because I think Chalali might come good when he gets a run in the team. Certainly impressed me against St. Johnstone. I would also welcome back Maguire, just to get a bit of service to the strikers, especially since he and Vernon seemed to form quite an understanding last season.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised either of you are entertaining the notion of signing anyone after reading that shite.

We're "too nice" to terminate contracts. What a spineless load of shit. Players don't want to walk away from the money we have contractually obliged ourselves to pay them? shock fucking horror.

On a serious mental health note, are AFC unaware that this time of year sees the highest rate of suicide? They must be or else they'd learn to shut the fuck up with this pish.

edit- in a perverse way, our 7 points from 4 games could have come at a bad time. Currently we look capable of finishing above dunfermline, so judging by the form of our board, that will put the kybosh on improving the squad (if the threat of relegation had ever moved them to strengthen in the first place that is).

Don't get me wrong, I always take everything on that site with a fist full of salt and I guess wasn't really related to the topic intended. I find it ridiculous that it's even a story or one that the club would want being put to press ???

I was impressed with Taoill (sp) when he was at Killie last season, seemed to have that attacking flair we required. But he hasn't really done much at Hearts for one reason or another.

We also really need to sign the likes of Arnason / Milsom / Osbourne up on longer term deals.

Edit: McMaster just said exactly that.

Don't get me wrong, I always take everything on that site with a fist full of salt and I guess wasn't really related to the topic intended. I find it ridiculous that it's even a story or one that the club would want being put to press ???

I was impressed with Taoill (sp) when he was at Killie last season, seemed to have that attacking flair we required. But he hasn't really done much at Hearts for one reason or another.

We also really need to sign the likes of Arnason / Milsom / Osbourne up on longer term deals.

Edit: McMaster just said exactly that.

Will be stunned if we keep even one of them. Expect all three to be gone by the summer.

Would love to see us take at least one full back (not David McNamee) a winger and creative central mid. Would like to see Mackie Magennis and McArdle shipped out. However as been suggested I fully expect them to string us along all January with stories about the return of Russell Anderson before eventually signing nobody.

Craig was again asked about the possibility of new faces arriving in January.

"Regarding the stories in the papers saying no one will leave, I have not asked anyone to leave. I have asked one or two who are on the fringe of things how they are feeling and if their agent wanted to get them a regular game that would be ok. I have not sat down with a player and said I want you to go. It is not as it has been reported that I am trying to kick people out. We have a squad here that is tight; we cannot afford to lose players. But if we do, and it is a big if, we can then bring in reinforcements.

"At the moment I am resigned to the fact I will have to work with what we have and make what we have better. That is the job of myself and the coaching staff."

Think i'll be playing champ rather than watch the window SLAM shut on ss news...again.

Some folk on mad seem to think Vernon is being linked with Watford, even more baffling is some seem to be open to the idea of selling him? My question is why get rid of our most consistent striker? Given our history, we're hardly going to improve on him.

Some folk on mad seem to think Vernon is being linked with Watford, even more baffling is some seem to be open to the idea of selling him? My question is why get rid of our most consistent striker? Given our history, we're hardly going to improve on him.

It would depend on the fee involved. And if the fee could be reinvested. (So no.)

Bank has say over who Aberdeen FC can sign

Brown working within his limits

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 07/01/2012

CRAIG Brown today warned Aberdeen FC fans the sale of Richard Foster will not spark a sudden transfer spending spree by the club.

Brown is delighted to have landed Sheffield Wednesday defender Mark Reynolds on loan as a replacement for Foster, who was completing his move to Bristol City today.

But Aberdeen FC manager Brown admitted the need to keep the club’s bankers sweet means there is no chance of the reported £250,000 fee they will get for Foster being released to help him make a spate of signings.

Brown said: “If you are in debt to a bank it’s only right that they expect wage levels to kept under control.

“We are no different to any other club in the SPL in that respect.”