Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Lame topic, but if.....

Bored out my mind today, can’t wait for our football to return.

Considering and starting with the current squad (keep that in mind with the players we have), if you could add any ex Dons in their prime, which 3 would you add? And for a 4th, not trying to knock Lewis, add an ex Don for your captain.

I’d take Frank McDougall, Charlie Nicholas, and Jim Bett. Captain is Willie Miller but that’s probably is predictable.

(keep that in mind with the players we have)

That was funny.

Willie Miller, captain.

Martin Buchan

Joe Harper

Can't decide on a 4th but special mentions to Davie Robertson (best LB ever at AFC), Jim Bett, Charlie Nicholas, Hans Gilhaus, Eric Black, Steve Archibald and dozens of others including Simmie.

Can't decide between Kennedy and McKimmie for RB.

No place for Peter Hetherston nor Calvin Zola.

Edit; decided now. Davie Robb my 4th pick.

Would you put Miller and Buchan together?

That would be a pairing right enough.

Kennedy was a better full back than McKimmie.

What about Hermiston at left back?

I can't imagine anyone complimenting Miller better than McLeish but I can't leave Buchan out.

McKimmie was a tremendous footballer too and not much between them. Kennedy stood out cos of his pace but the later Stewart was class in everything.

Hermiston one of my first heroes but Robertson was incredibly reliable and strong.

McMaster was excellent when deployed at LB, his biggest strength being his vision and distribution.

Rougvie was a beast of strength and never let a dago by but neither of them two had the all round games to be consistently excellent so some distance behind Jim and Davie. Still say Robertson the best. The 90/91 season he was amazing.

Speaking of LB's, watching the Scotland Germany game from 1992 just now, and realising that it's the first time I've seen it. We were in Melbourne at the time and it may have been on at 3 or 4 a.m. or something.

Malpas was an excellent footballer but on 28th June 1991, two days before we emigrated I was imploring Davie Robertson not to sign for Rangers, as the rumours that week had it. Shit, Deutschland just scored. After half an hour or so of fruitless pleading, I was resigned that it was happening and I specifically said that the move should cement his Scotland place and that he would displace Malpas. Was out of the country for three years so never seen much fitba over that period but Malpas still looking good in this game so far.

McKimnie was outstanding, felt bad the way his career ended with us. Robertson too, gutted when he left to go to Rangers and I didn’t think he got the recognition since he went to the huns.

We’ve had some truly outstanding players at the club, never saw Varga, Harper, or Buchan play for us, but always interested to hear people talk of quality pros who played for us. So here’s my next question, name the last true quality player we had who could be considered here? Eoin Jess?

I've always said that Kennedy was the best player we had in the late70s/early 80s. Yes ahead of Miller/Strachan Mcleish etc. He could play any position along the back 4 and had an absolute Rolls Royce of an engine.....was as quick in the 90th minute of a game as he was in the first. Tragedy his career was cut short so abruptly..IIRC it was in the ECWC second leg at Waterschei he picked up the injury. He goes in...

Captain has to be Miller. If you don't know why you ain't a dandy.

Striker...…..Harper, Jarvie, Magoo, Black, Shearer, Rooney, Gillhaus and Nicholas all have valid claims to go in. But for my mind, it has be McDougall. Again, a player who had his career cut tragically short. Never seen a better finisher. An absolute steal at the £110k we paid for him.

Who gets my fourth spot is the hardest decision. Strachan, Weir, Simmie, McLeish, McMaster, Bett (I'm just too young to remember Buchan with us..but I do remember him with Man U/Scotland and I'm sad to say I though he was a fucking duffer). I'm going to go with Bumper Graham though. Was my idol as a young loon in primary school. Would lay on a barrowload for McDougall and chip in with about 10 goals a season himself. Also wore my favourite strip of all time...the Admiral one with the stripes going down one side and on the shorts.

I've always said that Kennedy was the best player we had in the late70s/early 80s. Yes ahead of Miller/Strachan Mcleish etc. He could play any position along the back 4 and had an absolute Rolls Royce of an engine.....was as quick in the 90th minute of a game as he was in the first. Tragedy his career was cut short so abruptly..IIRC it was in the ECWC second leg at Waterschei he picked up the injury. He goes in...

I can’t remember Kennedy ever playing any other position apart from right back

Going on players I have seen play...

God as captain.  I watched the 86 cup final the other week and there was a bit in play when Tommy McQueen fucked up and I though Willie was going to do him. I don't think he would cope with some of the dross in our squad if he was playing alongside them.

Bett in the middle to provide quality and have at least one midfielder who can can a ball

Charlie Nic up front with Eoin Jess

I'm too young to remember Steve Archibald play for us.  Intrigues me that he rarely gets a mention as one of our greats which, bearing in mind he went on to play for Barcelona makes me wonder why.  Why does he not rank higher amongst our support?

Its a fair comment.He did well for us,decent goal to game ratio,but maybe he was overshadowed by Joe Harper at the time.I only saw him in the flesh a few times.I think he got a lot of his goals by scavenging around the box rather than wonder goals,and his play maybe suited a more European style of football?

Re the topic. Agree with most of what Ten Caat says.Thought Kennedy was far more refined than McKimmie,though I cant recall seeing him play anywhere else in defence,but possibly did with Falkirk?

Buchan was a fine player but cant find a place for him with Willie in this team

To boost the Current squad - Kennedy at right back,Miller knocking McKenna into shape,and MacDougall alongside Sam to see what they could do.Last ones tricky,thought about Hayes or Bumper on the wing,but need a bit of class in the middle with Jim Bett