Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

The forum seems lacking in talk of the greatest game in the world, but Mr Scientist set me thinking this morning with the below....

We have always known that Balmedie was a white elephant and his claim that it would be the greatest course in the world was always completely laffable. It's not even the best course within 5 miles of there and there are numerous better in the NE let alone Scotland let alone the UK let alone Europe let alone the world. What he didn't factor in and we all knew was that you can't sell tickets for a minimum of 5 months out of 12. The haar comes in during peak times, July & August to wipe out some days and it's way too cold for tourists in the winter. Plus the price was so ridiculous he was never going to get locals to play it more than once, or occasionally twice or more if a freebie.

While I agree with all of the rest, plus you missed out that he didn't bargain for how long a course takes to be ready for play from new build in our climate, I take issue with how good the course is.

Let's forget Trump being a total erse, that's a given. And we'll move past best course in the world because again, that's a helluva tall order, and will always be subjective anyway, and obviously it isn't.

I honestly don't think even Royal Snoberdeen can beat it, far less anywhere else in the north east, he truly has built an astonishing layout.

What are your issues with the course?

The problems with Trump are numerous in my view. I appreciate that I'm in the minority here. Before my first visit I found it interesting that 80% said best course ever and 20% said couldn't care if I see it ever again. Nobody sat on the fence. I thought the 20% were right miserable cunts because I'd heard the gushings of the 80%. Now I'm the king of the 20%.

Specifically, there are two major defects for me. The greens are trumped up and in amongst the dunes is relentlessly boring for many of the holes.

My first putt at the 1st hole was 8 feet for birdie... with a 12 inch step to come over. That's not right. I slightly heavied my 4 iron approach at the 8th and had no shot despite being within a foot of the front of the green. The dead elephant in front of the front pin made it impossible. If I'd blocked it or hooked it, no problem but the place is a fucking lottery. The 10th green is the best example, a collection of tabletops and pure fortune if you find a decent putt, if you're anywhere close to the right level. And that's following a blind 3 wood!

Mark Parsinen designed Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns. He took me round CS in preview mode, 6 weeks before it opened. His use of architectural techniques - including compress and release which he borrowed from Frank Lloyd Wright - were amazingly intelligent innovations and the whole experience of playing on his designs is joyous. I hate Trump International and whilst I can't stand the club, Royal Aberdeen is a great test of golfing ability without the random luck you get at Balmedie. Moray is a better course. Fraserburgh is more fun. As a purist - Carnoustie best in Scotland, Lytham best in England, Portrush best in Ireland, I just can't stand it. Although my English fav might change next month as seeing Birkdale for the first time in advance of the Open in July.

Birkdale is fabulous Rocket, I think you'll change your mind there.

Fair points on Trump, I detest the 10th, think it's a terrible hole, and yes 1st green in funky. Have to say I don't think the front nine has a bad hole, but 10, 12, 16 & 17 are nae that great on the back.

Having only finally played the Broch a couple years back, I'd echo the fun comment, if it wasn't in the most hooring cold part of the country in a dreich town, I think it would get plenty rave reviews.

Malaga min, some advice if you can.

Was looking at going to Sotogrande for the European Nations at the end of March. Flights to and from Malaga direct from Abz Thursday and Sunday. Would stay at an airport hotel the Saturday night (cos early start home) but where would you recommend within 15/20 minutes drive of the golf? What towns/areas near Sotogrande are nice? Will be wife and I.

Malaga min, some advice if you can.

Was looking at going to Sotogrande for the European Nations at the end of March. Flights to and from Malaga direct from Abz Thursday and Sunday. Would stay at an airport hotel the Saturday night (cos early start home) but where would you recommend within 15/20 minutes drive of the golf? What towns/areas near Sotogrande are nice? Will be wife and I.

Marbella, Puerto Banus, Estapona, are nice but expensive. Look up a place called Daquesa, small modern village also look at Manilva.

Sotogrande is a nice place but very expensive and polo snobs! Actually i dont like the place.

Are u hiring a car RS?

I know a good personal driver

I don't like Sotogrande either but that's where the tournament is. Stayed in Estepona a couple of years ago. Was excellent. That's a possibility and will check out those other 2 places, cheers. Yeah need to hire a car. Need that flexibility to go where we want when we want.

I don't like Sotogrande either but that's where the tournament is. Stayed in Estepona a couple of years ago. Was excellent. That's a possibility and will check out those other 2 places, cheers. Yeah need to hire a car. Need that flexibility to go where we want when we want.

Estapona is good place, my favourite seafood restaurant is there,

Look at San Pedro, up and coming kinda place but very Spanish, all late night early morning bars RS . Alot of money has been spent on the place, very nice.

Estapona is good place, my favourite seafood restaurant is there,

Look at San Pedro, up and coming kinda place but very Spanish, all late night early morning bars RS . Alot of money has been spent on the place, very nice.

Will do. Not definite yet. Away the whole of the previous week but getting sick of the relentless weather here so a couple of days in the sun could be nice.

You spell Estepona the way you say it, not how the Spanish spell it!!!

Will do. Not definite yet. Away the whole of the previous week but getting sick of the relentless weather here so a couple of days in the sun could be nice.

You spell Estepona the way you say it, not how the Spanish spell it!!!

Lazy, I suppose.

Weather no great here at the moment min, the course beside me has been destroyed due to the rain, working round the clock to get it up and running, then the storm at the weekend has knocked it back again

Lazy, I suppose.

Weather no great here at the moment min, the course beside me has been destroyed due to the rain, working round the clock to get it up and running, then the storm at the weekend has knocked it back again

Chances are it will be sunshine in 5 weeks time though :)

Going to Corfu for a week in May, for the second time, the first time with the wife. The last time was over a third of a century ago. You done the right thing escaping the NE. It's on its arse and the weather is getting worse year on year. It's becoming a really depressing city centre. But it's home... dilemmas, dilemmas...

• 3 months later...

The dashcam of Tiger Woods DUI arrest has been made public. I presume some cop got money for releasing it.

What a tragic showing of a poor man in deep trouble. How he became so fucked up can be sourced back to the shocking parenting he suffered at the hands of that total pig of a father. Because Tiger is so extraordinarily rich in financial terms, his suffering will only bring ridicule from many, unwilling to see the tragedy and unable to have compassion.

Advice for anyone in the Aberdeen area looking for a game of golf on a budget, you won't get better value than Hazelhead Pines (#2 course) at 15 quid. I forgot how lovely some of the holes there are, and it's in great condition just now. Just saying.  :thumbsup:

The dashcam of Tiger Woods DUI arrest has been made public. I presume some cop got money for releasing it.

What a tragic showing of a poor man in deep trouble. How he became so fucked up can be sourced back to the shocking parenting he suffered at the hands of that total pig of a father. Because Tiger is so extraordinarily rich in financial terms, his suffering will only bring ridicule from many, unwilling to see the tragedy and unable to have compassion.

He's a sorry state but he's a classless prick on the golf course. Will never be a Nicklaus or a Watson.

Here Rocket? When are u over in my neck o the woods? Or was that a while ago?

Played La Cala resort Asia course the other day. Great course.

Not this year so far in Spain but the Asia course there has hosted a lot of pro events. I've heard it's very good.

Talking golf, there are only two Open venues I've never played or seen but because the Amateur is at Sandwich and the Open is at Birkdale, I'll tick those two boxes within the next 6/7 weeks :)

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a US winner at the Open. People might deride them as bomb-pitch-putt guys on courses with rough as smooth as a snooker table, but just to get on the USPGA tour you're competing against probably thousands, so you've got to have some skills.

Don't get me wrong I HATE that style of golf you see week in and week out these days, seems like most of 'em just carry a driver 12 wedges and a putter! I'd like to see Birkdale hold up and we have a winner at about 6 under par.

I see that Spieth has just finished at 5 under.........maybe my hopes are dashed already, he's missed a lot of fairways but no bogeys, suggests the penalty for missing fairways (used to be called rough in my days but these days it's about as rough as my bumfluff used to be) isn't as bad as it should be.

Onyway, I'll be up at stupid-O'clock every morning watching this and the TDF tomorrow (before work) and all weekend.