Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pre-season 23-24

34 minutes ago, Panda said:

IMG_9727.thumb.png.d5fe8ab7eb79d9e2bf809f8a43b80d81.png

Defence not looking too clever without MacDonald or Williams.

Interesting (perhaps not that big a surprise though) that Milne preferred over Stewart.

Morris definitely being given a chance to impress. Sokler picked over Miovski. No Duk in squad.

Duk’s listed at 11.

2-0 down in the first 20 minutes. Two good finishes to be fair, but unmarked for both.

Early observations...

Duk playing on the right rather than the left.

Devlin playing centre of the back three. Probably because of the lack of experience there.

During the pre-match handshakes, it was noticeable how much bigger the Preston team are, and they're using the physicality to try and bully our centre midfield.

Our game plan is to get it to Clarkson who punts it long looking for Sokler to run onto it.

Defending straight out of the Goodwin tenure. 

Just fucking awful.

Think today is reality day, we have a long long way to go.

Says it all when Morrice tracking back is possibly the most effective.

Up front Sokler trying hard

Duk posted missing.

Least the weather isn't as shite as it was forecast to be.

First half they passed it through us all too easily and the defending wasn't great.

Second half we definitely improved defensively, while Clarkson and Duk got more involved, but don't think we had a single shot on target.

We should have had a penalty for the foul on Duk which would have given us something, but doesn't take away from the above.

The improvements really came from Preston making a number of subs and sending on a lot of young players, yet at no stage did we ever control the match.

Disappointing. But hopefully a few changes, more signings and a better showing against Charlton next week.

I felt we were just not physically up to it today. A yard off Preston and lightweight in the tackle. The ref deciding to leave his cards at home set the tone early and Preston made the most of it.

Bright spots for me were shinnie, sokler ( who puts himself about and looks a player ) and polvara when he came on looks to have doubled in size from last year and found some dig. Clarkson had as few flashes but we never troubled them.

Should have had a couple of pens. I think the pull on miovski as he went for the cross and the wrestling in the box ( think it was Milne) . Duk just jumped on the ball to be fair hoping for a pen.

Defence was always going to be dodgy and it proved to be out downfall today.

Disappointed by some of the chants from the moronic element present today. Two goals down and they bring out the Ibrox disaster, Bobby sands and Durant songs from under their ski masks 🤦There's just no need! 

• Like 2

Didn't realise Michael Hector was at Charlton...

Charlton centre-back Michael Hector looked back with fondness on his loan spell at Aberdeen, ahead of Saturday’s pre-season fixture against the Scottish side and explained how it helped him become the leader he is now at the Addicks.

Hector spent the first half of the 2013/14 season on loan with the Dons and remains highly popular with the Aberdeen faithful ten years later.

“For my liking, it was too short. I wanted to play for the whole season, but it was out of my hands,” said Hector, whose loan deal was not extended by his parent club Reading when it expired in January 2014. “I look at back at it with great memories. For me, it was one of my most important loans for my career and the time I had there was fantastic.

“It’s a lovely club, a good family club, and I enjoyed every minute I was there.”

Hector unfortunately missed out on Aberdeen’s Scottish League Cup victory later that season but still made the trip up to Scotland for the final to witness their triumph in person.

“It was tough, I went in the changing room before the game to wish all the boys all the best,” Hector said. “It was a great day for the club, but personally I would have loved to be on the pitch and play a part, but it wasn’t to be.”

The 31-year-old played alongside current Aberdeen manager Barry Robson during his loan spell and stated that he follows the example Robson set as a more experienced player.

“He was a good guy, down to Earth, had a lot of time for the younger players. He helped me through my game, with what I needed to improve and was just really easy to talk to, really approachable.

“And that’s what I try and do now in my stage of my career with the young players, try and be as approachable as possible, let them in and let them get to know you as a person.”

Hector expressed his gratitude to Aberdeen for enabling him to develop as a footballer and was full of praise for former Dons manager Derek McInnes.

“I owe a lot to Derek McInnes for trusting me and for playing me when I was so young, centre-back is a tough position to play at such a young age,” he said. “The chats we had were so honest and for me looking back, I was very lucky to play for a manager like him.

“The time I had there was fantastic, and they were very good to my family…they looked after me really well.”

Hector said that he is looking forward to a catch-up with some familiar faces at full-time on Saturday afternoon, as the Addicks take on their Scottish Premiership opposition for final pre-season match.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panda said:

IMG_9890.thumb.png.d04b85c012b71fe4d78e68dc42be904c.png

Dadia on bench.

Interested to see where Polvara plays, if it's in defence or midfield.

I imagine it's in defence with Mackenzie & Milne, which means Devlin can go RWB and Morris is more advanced?

devlin in the middle of defense between Milne and McKenzie, hayes and Morris as wing backs?

Well, encouraging half considering it's 3-0 and we've missed a penalty, at least two sitters, and their keeper (ex-Ross County) made a stunning save too.

But Charlton don't look up to much and yet they've still got a lot of joy down our right where Morris - when he's tracked back - has been turned inside out. He's done some good things going forward to be fair to him.

Shinnie has been a stand out. Polvara playing okay. Miovski's missed a few chances but he's causing them all sorts of problems (and he did score).