Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Connor Barron

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Extended contract required and tell the smelly East End cunts to fuck off.

Absolutely no way should this lad be used in any form of deal to bring Liam Scales to Pittodrie.

You know however that is exactly what they will do. 

Would be a terrible move for Barron. They've got McGregor, Turnbull and some other cunts that will all play his role to a better standard currently. Another season at the dons where he'll get plenty of game time is his best bet. He can add some goals to his game and then move on for £7M next summer.

• Like 2

The club cannot be naive to the fact that it would be a highly unpopular piece of business bookending a really fucking shit season.  I've cut cormack slack so far, (you can't make an omelette, etc) but he's got to be telling them to do one here.  Barron has 2 years on his deal yet and given the influx of cash from mckenna and Ramsey we don't need to sell.  Fergie will probably be gone too and if so that's about 10 mill coming into the club if the rumoured fees are accurate.  

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, manc_don said:

I see there is a piece out today which follows the usual formula of the player leaving.

”focusing on getting back into the team”..etc…fully expect him to run his deal down or be shifted this season. Thoroughly disappointing if that turns out to be the case. 

Yeah I think if he was signing on he probably would have by now.  He's contracted till 2024 so we will get something for him at least. 

On 18/10/2022 at 20:49, Jute said:

Article was standard one you see from player who is not looking to sign another deal. If he is going hope it’s abroad and we get as big a fee as possible. 

Interesting comment from Dave.

Club have made Connor an outstanding offer.

We realise if players won't commit then having two years left on a contract is optimum time to sell.

I'd be happy enough to see Barron extend by one year. Think this would make sense from his perspective as well as the club's

He shouldn't forget that he has only played a handful of first team games in Scotland's top league and would benefit form getting a fair few more under his belt, which if he performs could result in increasing the number of clubs interested in signing him.

Kind of feels like a WIN/WIN to me.

Situations like this concern me that Cormack may be a good businessman but he does not properly appreciate how the football world and the business world differ. I get the impression he thinks when he manages to sell a player for big money that he has achieved his goal and he can just replace the outgoing player with a cheaper version and things will keep ticking through.  We have seen after the sale of McKenna how many crap centre halves we have gone through since he departed that it is not that easy and now we are seeing the same issue at right back after Ramsay's departure.

If you keep selling your best players eventually it will catch up with you.  There is a big argument for keeping Barron whether he signs his contract or not.  Looking at the bigger picture, he is out of contract in summer 2024 so if he stays fit he could play another 60? games between now and then which really could be the difference between bottom six football or Europa Conference group stage football which overall could be more beneficial than cashing in for a couple of million in January.     

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Situations like this concern me that Cormack may be a good businessman but he does not properly appreciate how the football world and the business world differ. I get the impression he thinks when he manages to sell a player for big money that he has achieved his goal and he can just replace the outgoing player with a cheaper version and things will keep ticking through.  We have seen after the sale of McKenna how many crap centre halves we have gone through since he departed that it is not that easy and now we are seeing the same issue at right back after Ramsay's departure.

If you keep selling your best players eventually it will catch up with you.  There is a big argument for keeping Barron whether he signs his contract or not.  Looking at the bigger picture, he is out of contract in summer 2024 so if he stays fit he could play another 60? games between now and then which really could be the difference between bottom six football or Europa Conference group stage football which overall could be more beneficial than cashing in for a couple of million in January.     

I think that's very harsh on Cormack. Richardson wasn't cheap, neither Gallagher, Bates, Stewart or Scales. Lest we forget a certain Venezuelan, airbrushed from history (hopefully). He's spent money on replacements, they've just all been pap. McKenna played as many games for us as Barron will have and Ramsay was in a different class to Barron (in terms of potential) and it would have been criminal to stand in his way. I think you're probably right about keeping Barron for the duration though. I don't envisage us getting a big fee, even in January, so we'd be better off sticking and hoping he changes his mind. A difficult one though. In an ideal world, it wouldn't ever come to this. Barron and Duncan should have been properly sorted in their Kelty and Peterhead spells, but I think we'll miss out on both signing. I suppose it's a bit like new signings, if you can get one successful contract renewal in every couple of players then that's probably a success. Ramsay a success, Barron likely a failure.

You're right about cheap, Rico and the cost was not what I was particularly trying to emphasise and probably used the wrong word there albeit with both McKenna and Ramsay, their replacements did not cost nearly as much as those individuals were sold for.  What I was meaning was the ability to just acquire a ready made replacement who can fit in seamlessly.  In other industries, people leave jobs and in most cases you hire someone with the right CV and things go on as before but fitba is different which was what I was really getting at and I think Cormack believes the same thing should happen in the fitba world.  I don't believe he appreciates enough that we have only managed to produce a handful of real quality young players in the last 30 years and there is not an endless conveyer belt of them.     

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Allegedly, the two parties are back at the negotiating table 🤔

Make it happen.

Word has it he changed agents? Fucking hope something comes of it rather than seeing him piss off for nothing. He’s talented and played well so far this season. Hopefully last season was a blip due to poor advice.

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Allegedly, the two parties are back at the negotiating table 🤔

Make it happen.

That'd be great news. For me, he's the equivalent of someone like Jack (better passer) or Ferguson. I think he'll get to a level above us, but it'll take a hundred games or so. I'm not ridiculously partisan, but I don't see a better place than pittodrie for him to get those games. A move sideways to Hearts or Hibs would be pointless, a move to Huns or Tims would see him benched or loaned to a lower club than us. A move down south would be a physical challenge that, in my opinion, he's not ready for (a high end championship team wouldn't take a punt on him without loaning out to someone worse than us). 

Of course, there may be family reasons for wanting to move, or maybe he just fancies a trip somewhere abroad or something. He's not owe us anything, he'll have watched us ruthlessly ditch many a player on his way through the system and he'll know that he'd have been treated similarly if he was gash. If him and his agent are looking out for him properly, then from a footballing perspective it's difficult to see a better option than here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

That'd be great news. For me, he's the equivalent of someone like Jack (better passer) or Ferguson. I think he'll get to a level above us, but it'll take a hundred games or so. I'm not ridiculously partisan, but I don't see a better place than pittodrie for him to get those games. A move sideways to Hearts or Hibs would be pointless, a move to Huns or Tims would see him benched or loaned to a lower club than us. A move down south would be a physical challenge that, in my opinion, he's not ready for (a high end championship team wouldn't take a punt on him without loaning out to someone worse than us). 

Of course, there may be family reasons for wanting to move, or maybe he just fancies a trip somewhere abroad or something. He's not owe us anything, he'll have watched us ruthlessly ditch many a player on his way through the system and he'll know that he'd have been treated similarly if he was gash. If him and his agent are looking out for him properly, then from a footballing perspective it's difficult to see a better option than here.

Words of wisdom Rico

Give the lad a call and get him told 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1