Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jim Goodwin

6 minutes ago, redordead said:

Seriously though. If he doesn't go, I can't see myself or my boys even watching another game on TV this season.

Any spl manager that can't produce a victory in that game should fall on their sword.

To each their own.  I know in my soul I'm doomed to watch them all. 

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I think that they'll really, really want to, but his position is untenable and I think they'll know that. I think Jim will too.

It's a real shame, everything about him as a character suggests he should have the qualities to be a really good manager. A strong work ethic, good leadership (St Mirren cup winning captain etc), doesn't suffer fools, intelligent and articulate but grounded. I can see why the board would think that they're so close and want him to keep learning. However, his tactical ineptitude (immaturity, even) isn't going to be overcome overnight and I suspect his understanding and patience will have already boiled over with the players making the dressing room untenable too. 

I expect we'll see him doing a good job elsewhere soon. We won't see any of the 3-1-4-2s or the other nonsense setups when there is no pressure on him to produce entertainment elsewhere and he'll become a cautious, disciplined manager ala McInnes and be a good fit for someone. 

Don’t disagree. 

When he was appointed I was not enthused but expected him to at least make us hard to beat but he has even managed that. Just too big a job for him. 

It's a real shame, everything about him as a character suggests he should have the qualities to be a really good manager. A strong work ethic, good leadership (St Mirren cup winning captain etc), doesn't suffer fools, intelligent and articulate but grounded. I can see why the board would think that they're so close and want him to keep learning. However, his tactical ineptitude (immaturity, even) isn't going to be overcome overnight and I suspect his understanding and patience will have already boiled over with the players making the dressing room untenable too.

He seems to have the personality of someone who would make a good manager but that doesn't count for much if he lacks tactical understanding or the ability to judge players. The one thing I've taken from all these slightly dull dressing room documentaries that have come out in recent years (All or Nothing, etc.) is that projecting authority and shouting vague motivational statements at players is far less important than the analysis/tactical side of the game.

I'm not saying personalities are completely irrelevant, but it's the analysis/decisions that make a manager and Goodwin seemed completely lacking in that department.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sancho_panza said:

He seems to have the personality of someone who would make a good manager but that doesn't count for much if he lacks tactical understanding or the ability to judge players. The one thing I've taken from all these slightly dull dressing room documentaries that have come out in recent years (All or Nothing, etc.) is that projecting authority and shouting vague motivational statements at players is far less important than the analysis/tactical side of the game.

I'm not saying personalities are completely irrelevant, but it's the analysis/decisions that make a manager and Goodwin seemed completely lacking in that department.

I dunno, I was saying earlier I'd love Shaun Maloney to be part of the new management team (especially if it's a foreign coach). 

Lots of experience, knows the club and city, knows the expectations, a good tactical thinker.

However, I wouldn't want him as manager as, like with Hibs, I think he would struggle to command the dressing room.

Paulo Sousa* & Shaun Maloney double act, with Jonny Hayes as player-coach. That's the team to lead us into the Europa Conference League group stage.

*I'm also on board with the Geir Bakke shout someone made, and of course Ole Gunnar Solksjaer.

Edited by Panda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sancho_panza said:

Absolutely. I guess I just took it as read that a modern manager would have a good grasp of the basics, or at least come with a coach that did. One thing that the Tim game strategy taught us is that Goodwin could actually organise a team to do one thing well and whilst others were lamenting the approach (justifiably), I was actually quite pleasantly surprised that he could manage that. Fundamentally, though, the board will likely have made their decision based on interview, where really only those character skills would be in show. When it comes to judging a manager's tactical abilities, the scouting involved would have to be quite involved, over the course of many months and with a deep appreciation of the team being managed and any mitigating factors (injuries, bad signings etc). The only real metrics otherwise are results, and league position versus budget expected league position. In short, it's pot luck whether you get a good manager or not (unless promoting from within). 

I think that they'll really, really want to, but his position is untenable and I think they'll know that. I think Jim will too.

I expect we'll see him doing a good job elsewhere soon. We won't see any of the 3-1-4-2s or the other nonsense setups when there is no pressure on him to produce entertainment elsewhere and he'll become a cautious, disciplined manager ala McInnes and be a good fit for someone. 

Maybe, if we hadn't had the run of form culminating in Monday night he might have been given enough time to rectify his deficiencies. i.e. 10 of the same player, meaning you have little room for tactical changes, fuck all defenders (part of the same issue) also meaning players like McCrorie can't develop in a single position, Kennedy out of position etc. But for me having a backroom team that can challenge ideas and offer alternate solutions might be the biggest failing. That goes for DoF aa well as Sharpe et al. 

Calm down, it’s probably not too easy to get all of the board members together in a day’s notice, particularly when we are a secondary concern (at best) to the American-based directors who probably don’t understand the severity of the recent result and will want to question spending a significant sum on a severance package when the league table tells them we’re close to qualifying for Europe. It’s not practical to release a statement before a decision has been made and doing so only leaves us exposed from an employment law point of view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baggy89 said:

Maybe, if we hadn't had the run of form culminating in Monday night he might have been given enough time to rectify his deficiencies. i.e. 10 of the same player, meaning you have little room for tactical changes, fuck all defenders (part of the same issue) also meaning players like McCrorie can't develop in a single position, Kennedy out of position etc. But for me having a backroom team that can challenge ideas and offer alternate solutions might be the biggest failing. That goes for DoF aa well as Sharpe et al. 

Yep, we still don't seem to have cracked that level above the manager problem. Somebody that would have challenged the Considine decision, the need to ditch everyone and start again in a single window, the Porteous statement etc. For me, guys like McRorie and Kennedy are only good enough to be utility players anyway. They play a valuable role in the squad for mostly that reason but we shouldn't be accomodating them. I can completely see why Goodwin go into the problem with the defence. He hung pretty much everything on Stewart being a good player and that turning out not to be the case has ruined all his plans. Pretty much everything can be linked to that. The risk would have been minor if Stewart was good enough to guide Scales, McKenzie and maybe even Richardson through a game. Finding a centre half worse than Bates was impressive though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jute said:

Aye, unreal. They’ve only now decided to tell him that want to see better? Nothing prior to Monday maybe made them think that might be a good idea? Fuck me.

That “football monitoring board” is a joke.

Edited by wee toon red

So what now? We go game to game waiting for more failure before we pull the trigger? Putting the manager and the players in some sort of nonsensical purgatory is going to achieve nothing. The board need to fire him or back him, no half measures. 

It’s quite simple. Barring a miracle, Goodwin will be sacked in the summer with less to pay out to him. The season is over. We won’t be relegated under Goodwin. Cormack buys time to identify a ‘better’ or ‘right’ candidate. There’s not enough of the window left to do anything for an incoming manager. 
And away we go again. 
the time to sack Goodwin was before Xmas. 
The Darvel result was a shock as was 0-5 at tyncastle. But make no mistake. It was clear to see that Goodwin was poor tactically, poor decision making pregame and in game and he simply wasn’t good enough. 
I, for one, didn’t need the Darvel and Hearts result to convince me of that. 
Cormack missed a trick there because there was still something to play for pre Xmas but he blew it.
the only change likely now is that we lose another couple and are embarrassed further and that will force him to appoint from within on a temporary basis as the pressure will be too much to sack Goodwin, even though he wants to keep him until the end of the season. 
the statement he’s put out is a complete embarrassment but because he’s billy big baws with his whiter than white teeth, he’s tried to let the fans know that he’s the man and he will tolerate no more etc etc. complete shite, but deep down he knows he’s fucked up. 

The players back him? Of course they do, he signed all but three of them and has no doubt put them all on handsome wages. Anthony Stewart isn't going to be calling for a new manager any time soon is he?

This is knee-jerk reaction stuff no doubt, but I don't care if he beats a shite Hibs team or not, Goodwin is taking us nowhere. I won't be back and I hope Wednesday's game with St Mirren is an opportunity for everyone to boycott and show their displeasure.

As for Cormack. I've been on the fence about him. Not anymore. Take your 16,000 capacity stadium idea and this latest woeful decision and go ruin some other club.

• Like 1

Well that frees my weekends up for a bit. Clearly out of his depth.

Should have resigned out of embarrassment, never mind been fired.

I was giving Dave the benefit of the doubt, given that many fans actually asked for Goodwin from a hastily arranged ( and not at all thorough )shortlist

But he's lost me here. You cannot be seen to accept the worst result in the history of not just our club but the Scottish game with a slap on the wrist.

Does anyone genuinely believe any other spl or even championship manager would survive that.

Fuck off Dave. I hope the gates drop like a stone until you have the balls to pull the trigger on this charlatan.

Really worried by that statement. I've gone from thinking the main problem is our manager to thinking there's something quite dysfunctional about the way the entire club is being run. Even if there is some compelling financial reason to keep Goodwin for the time being, you don't put a statement out saying you're putting him on the naughty step.