Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jim Goodwin

As predictable as night following day by the predictable Scottish football authorities.

Call someone a cheat....beause they did and as long as you are a non old firm boss, you get clobbered for it.

Actually be seen to be cheating and no action is taken.

They are making an example of Goodwin here.

There have been far worse things said by managers in the recent past, a lot by managers of the gruesome twosome, which have been brushed under the carpet.

Blatant double standards.

The Dons must appeal this, even just for the optics of having done so.

The question also needs to be asked, how can Goodwin be a manager of a team that he is effectively not allowed to manage on match day?

There are rules to be adhered to and Goodwin didn't, but the punishment has to fit the crime.

He's been given a quarter season ban ( 2 suspended)

That's just not right.

Agreed that this was highly predictable

Neilson say same about Fergie and nobody even calls him out

Tonev calls a fellow professional a "b**** b****** and gets a seven match ban

Goodwin calls it as everyone I know apart from Hibs supporters know to be correct and he cops for EIGHT match ban

The game, that I love is well and truly fucked 

Just wait until the clowns that'll run VAR get to work

Corruption is alive and well in Scottish football

The Goodwin incident isn't the same as Neilson, not even close. Goodwin has admitted to trying to influence a ref prior to a game (happens, of course, but not openly!), as well as calling a player a cheat (Neilson described an incident as blatant cheating, rather than a player, there is a clear difference). It was a ridiculous overreaction from Goodwin to a match where he got the tactics wrong, tried to see it through until half time and failed. The blame for the game lay squarely at his door, and it was just a pathetic deflection taken too far.

The punishment is absolutely ridiculous though and the Dons should appeal. I don't think the Neilson example should be highlighted in defence, but I'm certain that Lennon or some cunt has done similar over the years and others. As Al points out, a lesser punishment for Tonev is a good barometer. I'd love to see the thought process behind the 8 games.

Fair points Rico, can't really argue with them

Think my reaction is spur of the moment as literally typed my post as soon as I got out of a meeting and found out. Your considered response is proof of why we should think before we type 😉

• Like 1

Brief club statement issued tonight:

After being informed of the decision of the Tribunal in today’s disciplinary hearing against Jim Goodwin, the Club is extremely disappointed at the level of sanction imposed on Jim and are taking it very seriously.

We do not expect to get the written reasons behind the decision until next week, but we will be appealing this decision.  Meanwhile Jim will be banned from the dugout for the Dundee United game.

13 hours ago, manc_don said:

Completely disproportionate. He deserved a ban for his daft comments and admitting to trying to influence the ref. Maybe he had some really bad advice? But still, 8 games and being deferred by two games is absolutely ridiculous. 

Fair comment manc_don but it was naive at best by Goodwin.  If one of his players had been sent off and banned after a second booking for taking his shirt off after scoring a goal, Goodwin would have been fuming and his own comments are like the manager's equivalent of that action. 

The thing that really riles me about this particular incident is that it was arguable whether or not a penalty should have been given, it was not clean cut, not a blatant dive.  Goodwin was just trying to blame someone else for his poor management on the day. It's a school boy error and he has just cost his team having a manager on the side lines for 8 games. If I was his chairman, I would be laying the blame well and truly at Goodwin's door rather than at the SFA's.

• Like 2

Goodwins intent was most likely to deflect away from a shite performance, once Duk scored we did little else in the game. He said we were comfortable up until the sending off, were we fuck.  Whilst not pummelling our goal hibs had far more of the ball in our half than we did of theirs and I distinctly remember thinking let's just get to half time without conceding at about 40 odd minutes.  

It's massively back fired on him but I do have sympathy with the school of thought that the length of the ban is to do with JG admitting he had spoken to the ref about porteus pre match.  It got me thinking as well.  I don't think I've ever heard a manager admit to doing that before a game (I'm sure it does happen) in a post matcher before. Has anyone else? Regardless, and whilst hindsight is always 20/20 tbf, it's hard to comprehend why he thought dropping that titbit into a post match interview was a good idea.  

I doubt we will get much at appeal 2bh, maybe a slight reduction in games non suspended if we're lucky but that will be about it. Dugout bans are not what they once were though, I'm sure the dressing room has facility to take a video call.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Goodwin's tenure.

The positives:-

We've had a few big wins at home (although many were against lower league opposition, against 10 men, or aided by penalties)

Got us to Hampden (didn't meet one Premiership side on the way kind you - and we were taken to extra-time by Annan).

Win over Hearts at home was pretty good. Decent performance at Hampden at the weekend. If you want scrape the barrel, then winning at Fir Park was alright.

The negatives:-

Were taken to extra-time by Annan

Dismal away record

Thumped at Ibrox

Thumped at Tannadice

Thumped at Tynecastle 

Many other poor performances. Hibs, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Motherwell - take your pick.

The abomination of time wasting and playing for a draw at home to Celtic.

Blowing a lead to Rangers in time added on and ending up with a defeat.

The inability to engage his brain in interviews which has seen him publicly embarrass Considine, Bates and Ramirez, get himself banned for calling Porteous a cheat, and claim he couldn't care less what Dons supporters on the internet think about him.

Told Scott Brown his services as a coach weren't needed. So far, we've yet to see much evidence Goodwin's coaching is up to par.

Signed a League One defender that was new to Scottish football and made him captain. To think, a year ago we had Scott Brown as captain.

Decided not to sign enough defenders meaning there is no competition for places and McCrorie is having to continue to fill in there.

After nearly a year in the job and £1.5-2m spent, we're no better.

There's probably others. 

At least Glass had a plan, but lacked the players to carry it out. Goodwin is just throwing money around but failing at pretty much everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Goodwin is just throwing money around but failing at pretty much everything.

Can't disagree. We could give him time for the sake of it but I can't see anything in what Goodwin has done here to suggest he's actually up to the job. We've had one win, one draw, and six losses since the break, the latest being arguably one of the worst results since the McGhee era, but his decision-making in isolation and the way he conducts himself off the pitch seem even worse than the results to me.

He wasn't even particularly great at St Mirren. He finished 9th and 7th with them (pretty much where they still are without him). It was a decent rather than exceptional job - the kind of thing umpteen other managers have done at middling clubs in Scotland over the years. We desperately need someone with a coherent plan to build a squad and I've yet to see anything from Goodwin that gives me confidence he can do that.