Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa League 3rd round

What a disappointment, and how 8 days can change the feelings of so many. Was really excited about today and the bubble burst before we even really started. First goal defending was shocking, 3 guys could have pressured the through ball but didn’t. Felt for Ojo and he’s taking a lot of stick, unlucky to get two bookings. Was really disappointed to see how we pretty much gave up and just went through the motions in the second half, and that comes from the manager. Also disappointing to hear DM say post match that the game was over after the red card. Whilst it became a much harder job I’d have still had a go, he didn’t. I’d have put Campbell on for a defender and gone back 3. I’d also have yanked Cosgrove at half time and gone with Wilson, tried something different at that point as a big lump up top was failing. Main is gash, got little service again, but I just don’t rate him.

I’m not over reacting like many but from what I’ve seen after 8 games is that we are in dire need of a creative central midfielder. We need a Ryan Christie or James Maddison. When we play Gallagher Ojo Ferguson and Cosgrove we have such little flair. I don’t think Bryson is that type either. Id suggest McGinn in there instead of wide if we don’t sign anyone as he’s getting on and the pace isn’t quite there anymore. We’ve tried Wright in there but he’s failed to take his chances. Interesting to note he didn’t even make the bench today. We are so predictable that it’s either long ball to Cosgrove (who is shite, don’t care what some say) or give it wide to one of the two wingers and hope for the best. We need central flair to suck in the defense to give the wide guys and forward more space, and to have control of the ball in the final third and look threatening, we struggle with that.

I still think we are better than last year, but we need a good confidence booster and a few goals this Sunday.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For McInnes to roll out with the same set up and tactics that they nullified a week ago is mind boggling.

Playing mind games with Cosgrove fitness as though was Lionel Messi. I can just hear the conversation in the Rijeka dressing room when they got the team sheet:

"Oh no, Cosgrove is actually fit and starts! What ever will we do?!?"

"Wait a minute, lets just do the exact same thing we did last week when limited him to getting barely a sniff of the ball!"

This game was crying out for a different approach, something to mix our play up a bit rather than the same old and McInnes has flapped at it. This was easily our best chance to reach the group stages, the squad was signed well in time for the Qualifiers, the draw was quite favourable but McInnes has blown it.

When the system you are playing isnt working why on earth would you take Cosgrove off to replace him with Curtis Main, you would be as well seeing if Si the Seagull had his boots with him. In fact he would probably still be better than Main is he just wore his bloody bird feet!

For McInnes to roll out with the same set up and tactics that they nullified a week ago is mind boggling.

Playing mind games with Cosgrove fitness as though was Lionel Messi. I can just hear the conversation in the Rijeka dressing room when they got the team sheet:

"Oh no, Cosgrove is actually fit and starts! What ever will we do?!?"

"Wait a minute, lets just do the exact same thing we did last week when limited him to getting barely a sniff of the ball!"

This game was crying out for a different approach, something to mix our play up a bit rather than the same old and McInnes has flapped at it. This was easily our best chance to reach the group stages, the squad was signed well in time for the Qualifiers, the draw was quite favourable but McInnes has blown it.

When the system you are playing isnt working why on earth would you take Cosgrove off to replace him with Curtis Main, you would be as well seeing if Si the Seagull had his boots with him. In fact he would probably still be better than Main is he just wore his bloody bird feet!

How can you have any idea whether we set up the same or not? Picking the same (or similar) team doesn't mean the same tactics clearly. We lost a goal within 10 minutes (because we had nearly all our team in their half on that particular attack) and then a player in 20 with the tie completely over in 30 minutes. From that point on, a manager has to be pragmatic, whether it offends every spectator's eyes or not (it did). We weren't scoring 5 goals with 10 men, but we could very easily have let in another 3. There's a certain Mark McGhee who would have done, and did, exactly that and we appeared to have a mentality that thrashings were okay under him as a result (losing 2-0 or 9-0 doesn't matter). It was horrendous stuff last night, but that was due to individual errors rather than a tactical thing, which meant that the game was over before it started. They did press significantly more than they did in the first leg though, which was a surprise.

^ yeah that's right, we can't go blaming the manager for everything.

But there is another school of thought that says managers are in charge and that they should be judged by results.

And there is also a school of thought - held by those who know things - who can see the future.

In order to see this, knowledge of history, human beings and football helps.

McInnes is a fucking charlatan user cunt and anyone trying to defend him is a thick useless cunt in denial.

Sorry Rico, don’t agree with you at all regarding your pragmatic comment. When we go down to 10 men we have a choice to make. Quit or try. We quit. At 2-0 I don’t accept we have lost with 70 minutes left. I’d respect a coach if we lost 5-0 and he said afterwards that at 2-0 we had nothing to lose so made subs and had a go. Or if we lost 3-1 or at least scored. Did we even have real scoring chances? The last 70 minutes were dire, as were the last 3 games in general, and that’s all down to the manager. He signs the players, picks the team, and dictates tactics. And motivates the players to perform.....or not.

We’ve been pish this last week after a promising start and that started with the overly defensive first leg performance. Yes blame Shay, but with that defensive a performance they were going to score, it was a matter of time just like games against Celtic. DM said after the game yesterday that at 2-0 the tie was over. He gave up. That told me an awful lot. From what I saw, manager and players stopped trying and I cannot accept that at all. A horrible thing to say, but if Lennon or Gerrard were manager we’d have done a lot more last night than DM did, they wouldn’t have quit.

There is pragmatic, and there is toothless/spineless. Too often have we seen the latter in big games hence the reaction by so many to this past week.

I'm with Rico on this. 2-0 down with 10 men? Needing 5 to go through? Nah not happening. Could have resulted in a horsing. And going hell for leather at them could also have resulted in injuries.

I'm no McInnes fan ( I didn't want a new contract awarded) but he called it right once we went 2 down. Sadly it's all he got right since the Hearts game

If the team decide to stop playing then they can have no complaints when the fans decide to stop watching.

I very nearly left at half time (many did)

I didn't, only because I found it difficult to actually leave so early so I had a blether with my son and his mates at the back of the Y for 15 minutes and then we all left.

Disgraceful performance, the club should be refunding everyone who bought a ticket.

I heard from a club insider before away leg that they thought HNK Rijeka were slightly worse than in 2015.  Are we as a squad better or poorer from class of 15'??

Much poorer

That squad had McLean and Shinnie. Rooney banging in the goals (I accept Cosgrove is also doing so right now....if he does it for 2 or 3 seasons consistently then I'll rate him alongside Rooney). Reynolds was still a class act at centre half and Logan was excellent....Logan's decline in the past 2 seasons has been horrendous. And of course Hayes at that point was at the peak of his powers.

• 2 weeks later...

Rijeka lost 2-1 away and drew 1-1 at home tonight with Gent so are out. Got what we deserved but how exactly do they do the draws given we know if advance specific groupings? Think we got one of the tougher draws, especially seeing Celtic and Rangers advance again.

Don't think we could complain about the draw we got. Was eminently winnable and even with McInnes' ultra cautious shitty tactics, we were doing just fine in Croatia until Logan had his (becoming ever frequent) brainfart.

Celtic and sevco would have seen off Rijeka comfortably and I'm sure at least one, possibly both, would have beaten Gent too.