Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

World Cup

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Dutch coverage isn't forced upon Belgians or French though is it? That's the entire point.

I know that’s the point, But you know the reasons for it. That reason is a whole non footballing discussion. Folk comparing those countries coverage is totally irrelevant. The bbc (less itv as they’re not public I don’t think) are a public company that broadcast for the majority of their customer base. Rightly or wrongly, given that no other home nations qualified, that is the English. If you felt so strongly , boycott the bbc, you don’t need to watch it, especially given the technology out there. It would be a total waste of license fee money for them to send more than one team to cover the same stuff. I doubt the Scottish coverage would be any better anyway, they’d concentrate of the two cunts from Glasgow. Non biased coverage doesn’tappear to  exist in the UK.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The feat of one country going 80 years between failing to qualify beyond the group stages is utterly remarkable.

Every record is there to be broken. Change is the only constant.

I don't see much recognition of the phenomenal performances of Germany over a sustained period, more than an average lifetime.

On the contrary, I see celebration, piss-taking and ridicule towards the four time champions.

In the case of Lineker, he knew he wasn't broadcasting to Germans. He said those four words in full knowledge of what he was doing. By appealing to the average Englishman in the crass way that he did, he debased both his audience and himself and further reinforced their national stereotypical sickness.

Scots on the other hand are so pathetic, we voted to be governed by these effete arseholes, as so eloquently written by Welsh and so brilliantly portrayed by Ewen McGregor.

Tonight's England v Belgium game is going to be the most interesting occasion so far for me. Not for the football necessarily but certainly for the build-up, commentary and analysis after. Belgium may even want to lose, which would be a shame and a mistake in my book although Gary Neville did put forward a great case. I'm with Slavan Bilic and Gareth Southgate on this.

Speaking of the latter, Southgate has done a superb job thus far. The team spirit is tangibly better than anything previous England managers have put together. He's surprised me in this regard. He struck me as a wooden, uninspiring man. I can hardly believe that this squad is good enough to go all the way and it's a pity tonight's match is a dead rubber because I would expect Belgium to kill England if it was knock out.

The English weren't expecting much this WC. QF was what they said is the max they would get... before they scraped past Tunisia and horsed Panama. The fact that no one country has looked dominant and it's wide open has fed them with an opportunity to disregard sense and embrace nonsense. For this alone, I hope they get humped in their next game after this one tonight.

Brazil are now who they believe are favourites, correctly so, not that favourites always win. Neymar was poor last night and must bury his ego and understand that it's a team game if he's to have greater effect. But their technical skills, their short passing, their ball control and constant probing was joyous to see. I don't give a fuck who wins the cup but I hope the eventual winners are deserving because we all agree they performed the best. That team won't be England.

I don't give a fuck who wins the cup but I hope the eventual winners are deserving because we all agree they performed the best. That team won't be England.

Hope to hell you're right.

I would be worried if England manage to finish second in their group.  Could then potentially play Japan followed by Sweden.  If they can negotiate those then anything can happen from there onwards and you can end up winning the cup with a couple of shitey nil nils and penalties.

For me, England are capable of beating anyone like Brazil, France or Spain because those teams haven't looked anything special whatsoever.  I think they are more likely to come unstuck against someone like Uruguay or Croatia.

Interesting that both England and Belgium have the same goal difference.

If the match tonight ends in a draw it will come down to who has the best disciplinary record to decide who tops the group.  England currently have two yellow cards, Belgium have three.

Odds on a draw and Boyata kicking someone up in the air in the 93rd minute?

I know that’s the point, But you know the reasons for it. That reason is a whole non footballing discussion. Folk comparing those countries coverage is totally irrelevant. The bbc (less itv as they’re not public I don’t think) are a public company that broadcast for the majority of their customer base.

That's nowhere in their remit as national broadcaster.

Rightly or wrongly, given that no other home nations qualified, that is the English. If you felt so strongly , boycott the bbc, you don’t need to watch it, especially given the technology out there.

I'm not a hun, I don't boycott things because I dislike a program. BBC have some excellent programs. I have no other option than to use it to watch world cup matches (atrocious internet connection at home). Furthermore, as I stated earlier, it has nothing to do with England being the only home nation. If Scotland qualified, the coverage would have been exactly the same. Lineker would have still presented his smarmy bullshite after Germany were caned. The evidence for this is at the last Euros (featuring sideshows of NI and Wales) and previous tournaments. This isn't being done because England are the only home nation, and that shouldn't be used to justify it if it was; England isn't the only nation being served by the BBC, which is the point.

It would be a total waste of license fee money for them to send more than one team to cover the same stuff. I doubt the Scottish coverage would be any better anyway, they’d concentrate of the two cunts from Glasgow. Non biased coverage doesn’tappear to  exist in the UK.

Ahh, so you didn't read my point then? I'm not, and have not, requested "Scottish" coverage of the world cup. I'm asking for a non-partisan presentation of the entire tournament as a celebration of football, with great insight into all the teams on show. A really strong show with none of the jingoism and England previews that are completely unnecessary, and a turn-off for a 10M populace that isn't in England. Something that gets right to the heart of the tournament and tells us stuff we didn't previously know. Then, above this, good quality shows that individually represent the home nation(s) and partisan coverage on match day.

Before anyone brings up any ridiculous argument ("that's just the way it is/always been" type non-argument), I am very aware that nothing is going to change. I'm merely discussing this on a fitba forum to see if anyone has any other views, and what everyone else's idea of good coverage would be. I think it has a huge impact on non-fitba television and politics in general and, as Rocket suggests, is pervasive in other areas too. I'm not annoyed by the coverate either, I'm disappointed by it. I think it's a great opportunity missed.

Dutch coverage isn't forced upon Belgians or French though is it? That's the entire point.

It would also be a different language. What were you saying about ridiculous arguments?  :wave:

Suggest you take the chip off your shoulder and try and enjoy the tournament.

It would also be a different language. What were you saying about ridiculous arguments?  :wave:

Suggest you take the chip off your shoulder and try and enjoy the tournament.

Do you have ANYTHING interesting to contribute ever or do you just exist to provoke and wind up those who are more intelligent and articulate than you could ever aspire to? And if the latter, please at least do it by trying to keep up with the conversation. Your selective quoting is both ignorant and lacking in integrity.

That's nowhere in their remit as national broadcaster.

I'm not a hun, I don't boycott things because I dislike a program. BBC have some excellent programs. I have no other option than to use it to watch world cup matches (atrocious internet connection at home). Furthermore, as I stated earlier, it has nothing to do with England being the only home nation. If Scotland qualified, the coverage would have been exactly the same. Lineker would have still presented his smarmy bullshite after Germany were caned. The evidence for this is at the last Euros (featuring sideshows of NI and Wales) and previous tournaments. This isn't being done because England are the only home nation, and that shouldn't be used to justify it if it was; England isn't the only nation being served by the BBC, which is the point.

Ahh, so you didn't read my point then? I'm not, and have not, requested "Scottish" coverage of the world cup. I'm asking for a non-partisan presentation of the entire tournament as a celebration of football, with great insight into all the teams on show. A really strong show with none of the jingoism and England previews that are completely unnecessary, and a turn-off for a 10M populace that isn't in England. Something that gets right to the heart of the tournament and tells us stuff we didn't previously know. Then, above this, good quality shows that individually represent the home nation(s) and partisan coverage on match day.

Before anyone brings up any ridiculous argument ("that's just the way it is/always been" type non-argument), I am very aware that nothing is going to change. I'm merely discussing this on a fitba forum to see if anyone has any other views, and what everyone else's idea of good coverage would be. I think it has a huge impact on non-fitba television and politics in general and, as Rocket suggests, is pervasive in other areas too. I'm not annoyed by the coverate either, I'm disappointed by it. I think it's a great opportunity missed.

I know, and it’s all good for debate, keeps forums like this going. Would be boring as sin if we always agreed on everything. I apologise, my point re Scottish coverage wasn’t really aimed at you, it was more in response to  what I’ve read elsewhere and it genuinely makes me cringe. Some folk are just completely blinded by their hatred, whilst completely forgetting that Scottish coverage would be equally if not more nauseating. Moaning for moaning sake. But I also think that no such thing as non-partisan coverage truly exists in football. I very much doubt any country that has their national team in the tournament have anything other than biased coverage. It’s just that our situation is somewhat unique in that technically we have four countries under one broadcasting umbrella. I can guarantee that the dutch  will be laughing at the Germans as much as the English, if not more so.

Cosgrove was talking about this on off the ball last week.  I don't see why we couldn't have bbc scotland/stv highlights programme at the end of each day.  I would much rather be hearing what the likes of Thompson, Stuart, Miller etc had to say about it than some of the numpties that have been put on so far. 

Cosgrove was talking about this on off the ball last week.  I don't see why we couldn't have bbc scotland/stv highlights programme at the end of each day.  I would much rather be hearing what the likes of Thompson, Stuart, Miller etc had to say about it than some of the numpties that have been put on so far.

I personally have no gripe with Lineker and Shearer etc. compere-ing the shows. Ex footballers at the highest level who have good things to impart most of the time. Gary Neville's a knob and Lee Dixon is someone I wouldn't want a pint with but they've all got something to add most of the time.

When it comes to international games and the WC in particular, it's fascinating and yet sad and hilarious how they lose their collective cool and their rampant jingoism runs riot but I wouldn't want it any other way. I heard Gordon Strachan on the radio the other day and he's great value (as a pundit but fuck no as a manager) so I wish the TV panels would include him more. The English are just... so English at times like these. Was it Theresa May who recently asked for England flags everywhere? Some fucking idiot anyway.

Do you have ANYTHING interesting to contribute ever or do you just exist to provoke and wind up those who are more intelligent and articulate than you could ever aspire to? And if the latter, please at least do it by trying to keep up with the conversation. Your selective quoting is both ignorant and lacking in integrity.

Selective quoting? I quoted the entire post.  ???

I personally have no gripe with Lineker and Shearer etc. compere-ing the shows. Ex footballers at the highest level who have good things to impart most of the time. Gary Neville's a knob and Lee Dixon is someone I wouldn't want a pint with but they've all got something to add most of the time.

When it comes to international games and the WC in particular, it's fascinating and yet sad and hilarious how they lose their collective cool and their rampant jingoism runs riot but I wouldn't want it any other way. I heard Gordon Strachan on the radio the other day and he's great value (as a pundit but fuck no as a manager) so I wish the TV panels would include him more. The English are just... so English at times like these. Was it Theresa May who recently asked for England flags everywhere? Some fucking idiot anyway.

Agree on all points  :o

Ian Wright is the worst. When England do go out, I just hope ITV have the game just to see his greeting coupon.

Some of the foreign pundits have been a mixed bag. Evra is a clown. I was impressed with Fabregas, and he spoke better English than Ferdinand, but he’s fucked off already. Bilic is quite amusing.

Selective quoting? I quoted the entire post.  ???

But ignored the more detailed post under it written before your post, which clearly refutes your poor response about chips on shoulders:

I'm not annoyed by the coverate either, I'm disappointed by it.

If you ignore the typo on "coverage" of course.

I've very much enjoyed the world cup.

I have a gripe with Shearer if I'm honest. Do you think he's ever left England to watch a game involving any of the other teams that he's commenting on? Given the presumed salary, do you think that should be the minimum expectation for a BBC commentor (similarly Lawrenson)? Given these guys are ten-a-penny (replace Shearer with any other previous England striker for interchangeable analysis), I think that there should be something extra that these guys should be providing - some useful insight. I rarely hear anything from Shearer that is anything other than you'd expect from a contestant on Catchphrase (see what you see, Alan). There certainly appears to be no expectation on him to do any research whatsoever into any of the teams and players he is watching, their coaching methods, previous games etc. If there is, then he doesn't bring it forward in his analysis. I think he'd be perfectly capable of it too, it's not a personal thing, he's nae stupid. It's just that his fame has allowed him to remain unquestionably ignorant. Compare with Sone's sister and Alex Scott who've clearly done their homework and been sent to do research. I don't know enough about Dixon or Neville to say. It appears that they've been matched on their personality rather than knowledge though (Neville the contentious knob, Dixon the reasonable one, Shearer flitting between both as it suits), which is maybe what more people are after I suppose. Maybe I'm trying to hold the BBC to too high a standard. They should have had it all on BBC4 with half time shortened Storyville documentaries detailing the political situation in each country and how it is mirrored in its approach to fitba.

You make a good case Rico. I watch less than half the MOTD's but you're right, Shearer is a catchphrase contestant type and doesn't exactly enlighten us very often. The examples of the two lassies was a good comparison. They've been very impressive and yes, have obviously done their homework and are treating the role with the professionalism which it deserves. It's the smugness and jingoism that does my head in but I'm sure the BBC bosses have got them to tone it down after yesterday. They were on their best behaviour during that very boring session this afternoon.

I'll reserve judgement till after tonight's game. Guffland win and the jingoism will be cranked up to 11. Lose and they'll still be cock-a-hoop because "the route to the final" will be so much easier if they are in that half of the draw. Sad to say if that's indeed how things pan out, I can't see anything other than the Guffies in the Final.

I'll be taking Colombia to win.

Very good on the break, Cuadrado has been very good for them, attacking down the right on to Maguire's side (if they play 3 at the back again) will cause England a lot of issues - Maguire is a right footed centre half playing on the left of the three, against decent opposition that will become more of an issue.

Their midfield isn't good enough either. Would imagine Quintero will boss them. England really need a passer in midfield.