Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

World Cup

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I'm also disappointed that R_S used Toyota model names to perpetuate a string of Honda related car puns.  :(

Doh! So I did. I can't even blame factors that would otherwise be considered a reasonable excuse. I just fucked up.

Massive "it's coming home" went up in a side street just off the main square in the old town Prague tonight. Sounded like 25/30+ of them. My juices were flowing. But the wife is no back up and there was fuck all I could do. Didn't even follow the noise to see if I could eye contact a couple of them to get them into a state of distress and distraction, where they made a mistake and got their teeth kicked in by my sleekit NE boot.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say I am enjoying Belgium taking the Brazillians apart.

Personally cannot stand the brazillian national team and especially don't like that they were classed as actual favourites for this tournament.

Plenty of comments about how England haven't played anyone decent yet wheras it seems the brazillians have escaped that treatment

They will now of course come back and win 3-2........

Have to say I am enjoying Belgium taking the Brazillians apart.

Personally cannot stand the brazillian national team and especially don't like that they were classed as actual favourites for this tournament.

Plenty of comments about how England haven't played anyone decent yet wheras it seems the brazillians have escaped that treatment

They will now of course come back and win 3-2........

Game on! But 3-2 to who??

Four "lads" came into the outdoor restaurant we were at in Prague tonight. Every Swedish top or tops that walked by got it full pelt. These morons think it's "banter". The rest of the world think they're arseholes.

It's not just the lack of grace in victory that grates. It's EVERYTHING about the English. The way he spoke to the Czech waiter - where's the nearest cashpoint? - was priceless for two reasons. The tragedy was how he expected the serf to understand his slurred words. The comedy was how much the waiter despised him and how selective he was in his comprehension.

Disgusting people. Disgusting history. Disgusting race.

Tin hat firmly on. I actually find the current England team and management quite likeable, which is concerning in itself. I don’t find myself able to find a character that I dislike immensely . I’m pleased for my England supporting mates, none of them expected anything from this team and none of them are the type that you’ve described , rocket. I am of course fortunate that I don’t really have to listen to the same level of media propaganda as you all do , but some of the stuff of social media that some dons fans, let alone scots are passing off as “banter” is utterly embarrassing. Really doesn’t look good for Scotland. Some folk need to remove their blue tinted glasses. It’s just international football. The England football team are not the reason for your misery.

Of course if they get to the final, I do hope they lose  ;)

Tin hat firmly on. I actually find the current England team and management quite likeable, which is concerning in itself. I don’t find myself able to find a character that I dislike immensely . I’m pleased for my England supporting mates, none of them expected anything from this team and none of them are the type that you’ve described , rocket. I am of course fortunate that I don’t really have to listen to the same level of media propaganda as you all do , but some of the stuff of social media that some dons fans, let alone scots are passing off as “banter” is utterly embarrassing. Really doesn’t look good for Scotland. Some folk need to remove their blue tinted glasses. It’s just international football. The England football team are not the reason for your misery.

What if they are playing Belgium?

Surely yon Dutchies are concerned at the prospect of their 'smaller' neighbours doing what Cruyff & co couldn't?

Potential rock & hardplace scenario for yourself

What if they are playing Belgium?

Surely yon Dutchies are concerned at the prospect of their 'smaller' neighbours doing what Cruyff & co couldn't?

Potential rock & hardplace scenario for yourself

It’s funny, I was thinking about that this morning. I’d accept it. Apparently a lot of the Dutch are supporting the Belgians. That or the English.

I think it’s maybe because I don’t really care that much about international football these days. I enjoy it, but I certainly don’t get pissed off about it like I do about the Dons

I agree with the not-unlikeability of the current England squad and manager.

But I've seen it with my own eyes this week in Prague. I've seen it on the news this week. The English want to rule the world. They decided to wreck an Ikea after the game. They scrawled England flags on Welsh roads. The BBC thought this was worthy of portraying as high-spirited high jinks. They are oblivious to the offence they cause. They don't know how much the rest of Europe despises them. One England fan said "I have a dream. Martin Luther King said that. I have a bigger dream" and again the BBC thought this was great, missing the repulsive irony that a football match involving them is bigger than human rights.

You have a short memory. Tabloids and football commentators reflect the fact that the jingoism of the English when rallied at times like these is offensive to all decent people. When we saw beer cans and bottles strewn all over the streets this morning, the wife said "England fans". The team may be playing and preparing in the right professional spirit but the English by nature are still disgusting... in collective, general terms of course, when united behind the cross of Dod, when they think they can get back their rightful place as top dogs, when there is nothing to mark their superiority.

Apart from the horror prospect of the English reacing the final, this has been perhaps the best world cup I can remember.

3 games left, all of which can be so nervy that they lose the possibility of entertainment value.

I hope not, obviously, but it remains possible that people will remember the tournament for the last three games, they shouldn't, it's been great.

Got a decision to make. Decided to take out a bit of insurance the other week in case the worst happened, just to make it a bit more bearable.

So I stuck £20 on England at 17/1.

Question being, how long can the guffs possibly ride their luck? Do I cash out now for £90.94 or stick it out?

Still can't bring myself to cheer them on like!

Got a decision to make. Decided to take out a bit of insurance the other week in case the worst happened, just to make it a bit more bearable.

So I stuck £20 on England at 17/1.

Question being, how long can the guffs possibly ride their luck? Do I cash out now for £90.94 or stick it out?

Still can't bring myself to cheer them on like!

The £340 profit could be seen as compensation for your disappointment

If you can addord to lose £20 then surely there is no requirement to cheer them on if you don't want to?

I'd stick with it. Russia showed Croatia are no great shakes and Guffland (although no great shakes themselves) have a bit of momentum about them, allied to that little bit of luck needed to progress deep into the competition.

Of course i fully expect Belgium or France to comfortably see them off in the final so that's the point I'd cash out.

England will be out of the World Cup on Wednesday. To see the tears of the pundits in the ITV studio will be a joy to behold apart from Slaven Bilic who will have the biggest smug smile ever.

If that happens wouldn't be surprised to see Ian Wright try to lamp him - Roy Keane as peace-maker?

Yes you do. No brainer cos they will NOT win the cup.

I would cash out now before Croatia beat them. If England did make it to the final, your cash out will be more but that's not a risk I would take.

I'll sleep on it for a couple of days. Think they might beat Croatia but surely won't win both of their next two.

Never actually cashed out a bet before and did not think about the possibility until I logged into my account the other day and noticed the option. I always associated it more as being an in play thing if you are betting on one particular match.

Actually quite a good option here though when the possibility of the full bet coming off is unlikely.

Not fussed about the £20 but it starts to grab your attention when the potential winnings nears the ton mark.

Unsurprisingly, the UK based bookies have England as favourites to get through to the final @ 8/13.

I would guess that your cash out option would increase to about £140 if they did get past Croatia.

It's a classic bird in the hand type scenario. The only decision you have to make just now is whether to hold out for an extra 45 or 50 quid or take a 70 quid profit now. Pretty sure you wouldn't stake £90 of your own money on England to beat Croatia at those sort of odds but they do have a chance in that Croatia weren't dominant against Russia.

Croatia have been horseshite for the past two games, I think England will beat them.  The hope is that either France / Belgium are more than strong enough to beat them.

Rocket, you'll hear no arguing from me re: the English mentality, needing to feel like they're top, the empire etc.  It's definitely still there. I can only speak for my friends / family, but there isn't any of that and they're all in shock.  It's very prominent amongst particular working classes, probably depending on location.  The Ikea thing was absolutely embarrassing, as was the climbing of a first response ambulance unit  ::)