World Cup

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite an amusing piece by Tom English

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44783648

He's a very good writer and he discusses the contradictory feelings that Manc spoke about. They ARE a likeable squad. Harry Maguire's interview yesterday was tremendous and self-deprecating. I particularly liked his Yorkshire angle as that's the area of England I know best and I love the place. The press conference yesterday with Southgate and Henderson was impressive. They both came over as committed, honest, intelligent and most of all with great enthusiasm, they're loving the journey.

This England team, if it were to win the WC would not be as big a shock as others we have seen across world football. It would be less of a shock now, since the tournament started than anyone might have imagined a month ago but they're doing everything right and performances and preparations like this deserve reward.

Grace is one of the four requirements identified for successful living, second only in importance to self-discipline in my opinion. The ONLY issue I would have if England did win it is the lack of grace the majority of them would have in their over-the-top triumphalism.

For me it was over the moment Rashford was brought on. He just didn't look interested at all.

Stat on ITV says 7 croatian shots to 1 English. Says it all really (presuming that is open play shots).

Edit: Well this will make tomorrow's commute more entertaining. I have to assume the attention will now switch to 'England will win 2022'