Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Great to hear McKenna captaining the team. Good on him. How did he and shinnie play? Presume shinnie won’t play left back very often  for obvious reason.

Thought McKenna had another solid game. Shinnie has a quiet first half when Scotland played with a back 4 but when went to a back 3 and Shinnie moved to the left of midfield he came into the game much more and looked pretty good.

Does anybody agree that we shouldn't really be handing out caps for friendlies??

I think we should take a cap off all those who called off.

Don't see why the guys who actually wanted to play for their country should be penalised. Look at what it meant to both McKenna and Shinnie.

I think we should take a cap off all those who called off.

Don't see why the guys who actually wanted to play for their country should be penalised. Look at what it meant to both McKenna and Shinnie.

Fit's this? Are you saying that those who were picked for the squad get a cap even though they don't turn up (I've nae idea like, I'm not being critical)? I'm not sure who's being penalised here? Do the replacements nae get a cap anyway?

Caps should go to those who play minutes in a friendly. It does them a bit of good, gives them a bit of confidence and something to put on their CV. Huns should not get caps.

Fit's this? Are you saying that those who were picked for the squad get a cap even though they don't turn up (I've nae idea like, I'm not being critical)? I'm not sure who's being penalised here? Do the replacements nae get a cap anyway?

Caps should go to those who play minutes in a friendly. It does them a bit of good, gives them a bit of confidence and something to put on their CV. Huns should not get caps.

No, I'm absolutely not saying that.

The way I understood it, and correct me if I’m wrong B.B was that those who’ve played previously but choose to sit out on friendlies should lose a cap per game they miss. Then they shouldn’t also automatically get picked and go straight into the first team for the proper games. Hence why shinnie shouldn’t get dropped because others are suddenly “available” after choosing not to be previously.

The way I understood it, and correct me if I’m wrong B.B was that those who’ve played previously but choose to sit out on friendlies should lose a cap per game they miss. Then they shouldn’t also automatically get picked and go straight into the first team for the proper games. Hence why shinnie shouldn’t get dropped because others are suddenly “available” after choosing not to be previously.

Yes, that was pretty much it.  Tongue was partly in cheek, but was a nod to the number of players who called off this time due to tiredness etc, I bet they wouldn't have been tired if it was a World Cup they were going to.

Ahh, understood. That makes sense. That means that Scott Brown has never actually played for Scotland and the rest of the Tims are on negative caps apart from James Forrest who is the only one who actually regularly turns up to the squads without actually turning up on the pitch on match day.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

It will be interesting to see how this Nations Cup thing goes.

Hopefully will make the non-qualifying international games a bit more meaningful for us since we need every route possible to make a finals these days.  Might convince some of the no-showers to turn up for duty.

• 2 months later...

Squad for upcoming games against Belgium and Albania.

Goalkeepers

Jordan Archer (Millwall)                                                                             

Craig Gordon (Celtic)                                                                                     

Allan McGregor (Rangers)                                                                           

Defenders

Jack Hendry (Celtic)                                                                                       

Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers)                                                 

Stephen O’Donnell (Kilmarnock)                                                         

Andrew Robertson (Liverpool)                                                               

Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen)                                                                   

John Souttar (Heart of Midlothian)                                                     

Kieran Tierney (Celtic)                                                                                 

Midfielders                                                                                                                                               

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)                                                         

Tom Cairney (Fulham)                                                                                 

James Forrest (Celtic)                                                                                 

Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)                                                                     

Kevin McDonald (Fulham)                                                                         

John McGinn (Aston Villa)                                                                         

Callum McGregor (Celtic)                                                                           

Scott McTominay (Manchester United)                                           

Callum Paterson (Cardiff City)

Forwards                                                                                                               

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)                                                                                 

Oliver McBurnie (Swansea City)                                                                     

Matt Phillips (West Bromwich Albion)                                             

Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City)

Goalkeepers

Jordan Archer (Millwall)                                                                             

Craig Gordon (Celtic)                                                                                     

Allan McGregor (Rangers)                                                                           

Defenders

Jack Hendry (Celtic)                                                                                       

Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers)                                                 

Stephen O’Donnell (Kilmarnock)                                                         

Andrew Robertson (Liverpool)                                                               

Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen)                                                                   

John Souttar (Heart of Midlothian)                                                     

Kieran Tierney (Celtic)                                                                                 

Midfielders                                                                                                                                               

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)                                                         

Tom Cairney (Fulham)                                                                                 

James Forrest (Celtic)                                                                                 

Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)                                                                     

Kevin McDonald (Fulham)                                                                         

John McGinn (Aston Villa)                                                                         

Callum McGregor (Celtic)                                                                           

Scott McTominay (Manchester United)                                           

Callum Paterson (Cardiff City)

Forwards                                                                                                               

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)                                                                                 

Oliver McBurnie (Swansea City)                                                                     

Matt Phillips (West Bromwich Albion)                                             

Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City)

I'll remove the unnecessary spaces in your squad list for you.

Revised squad after all the call offs;

Goalkeepers: Jordan Archer (Millwall), Craig Gordon (Celtic), Allan McGregor (Rangers).

Defenders: Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers), Stephen O'Donnell (Kilmarnock), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), John Souttar (Heart of Midlothian), Kieran Tierney (Celtic).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Ryan Jack (Rangers), Kevin McDonald (Fulham), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), Callum Paterson (Cardiff City), Robert Snodgrass (West Ham United).

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City), Steven Naismith (Hearts)

They need to shoehorn Tierney into the side so will play him at centre back alongside Souttar. If they play a back 3 then Mulgrew enters the equation.

If Tierney plays centre back it'll be with Mulgrew, at least in the Albania game. With the Belgium game being a friendly McLeish might try Souttar and Tierney together but I doubt it. Would make more sense to give Souttar his debut alongside Mulgrew, who's familiar with the position and has plenty experience.