Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

I've nothing against Christie but I do have severe reservations about allowing Celtic to loan out players to other teams in the same division.

The fact that we went and borrowed one of their players is an embarrassment.

But I have I think mentioned this before.

:o

First time you've mentioned it!  ;D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maynard was good when he came on. Nice touches and lay offs.

There was no intensity to Aberdeen play, no urgency and no up and at them approach.  Also, the subs were not used well. We are threadbare up front - and offer little with one man.  Also - 650 fans offered virtually nothing which is a shame given away trips are usually superb.

Tactically, technically outplayed in 2nd leg.  Usual moans about diving but that is how it is at this level - you deal with it.

Actually at 7.55pm last night it was cooler all be in still 27c. The players have been in cool and air conditioned hotel surrounds all day so can't complain it was too hot.

Also, there was not one but 2 water breaks and it was warmer in Bosnia and Rijeka.

Overall there are no excuses.  We are at our level - 3rd QR.  Overall I think we do well in Europe each year including this year. Played 4, won 2, lost 1 and drew 1.  Its not bad but we lack ability to beat half decent teams.

Some people without tickets were let in for free.

As to the violence - if you stand at edge of stand at end of game and shout rubbish at stewards and home fans giving it the fingers and 'come on' there will be a reaction in europe.  Stewards certainly should not be kicking out but riot squad were lining up outside long before full time. 

There were also a number of Aberdeen fans violent amongst themselves - punching and kicking each other.

We will get fined by UEFA.  A good few at the end of the game were looking for trouble and acting like idiots.

As to ticket shambles - ground was not full and neither was our bit. Gaps either side - that stand held over 1000.

Frustrating night,McInnes got it wrong this time.Cant overdwell on it,since hes got it right more often than not in Europe.But you would hope now that he can see that Stockley just doesnt fit in with the way our personnel suit playing(... a generous way of saying he's shite)

Too early to judge this side though re fitness/gelling,but we saw glimpses last week(first half pre Stockley  :razz:) of what we might have to look forward to.

[quote author=donsdaft link=topic=19451.msg320151#msg320151 date=1501859

I've nothing against Christie but I do have severe reservations about allowing Celtic to loan out players to other teams in the same division.

The fact that we went and borrowed one of their players is an embarrassment.

But I have I think mentioned this before.

I can understand where you are coming from DD. However Celtic don't see him as a viable first team option yet...and they possibly might never do. So he was always going to get sent out on loan. I sure as hell would rather have him with us rather than a Hearts/Hibs/St Johnstone where he would be more than likely to do us a lot of damage..

Well, now that 24 hours have past, trying to put things into perspective. Think we're seeing way to many overreactions but to each their own.

We've had a bitch of a summer. 4 of our starting 11 left and arguably two of our best players in Hayes and McGinn - the two most influential attacking players on our team. We then nearly lost our manager. I still believe we've signed good players in GMS, Tansey, Stewart, Christie, and Arnie - 5 proven good players who can and will excel at SPL level, and I think better quality signings than we've signed in previous summers - that's a positive! No clue about Maynard though.

Europe came too early for us. Not enough time to gel, the squad isn't at the same level of fitness, too much too soon. The last 3 seasons we came into Europe with virtually the same squad so we didn't have these issues. For what it's worth, I'm one who would like to see summer football, February to November or the likes - think Scottish football would benefit.

It was a flat performance, not sure why. Christie and Shinnie, our two best players over the last 3 games, didn't do too much, and the rest were just off. Players are good enough to win that game, opponents were very average, weather wasn't any worse that we've excelled in before, such an opportunity missed. It just wasn't there yesterday but now gives us an opportunity to focus on a good start to the league and the league cup - Europe is exciting though, I'd rather we had to deal with the 'inconvenience' of  Euro run......especially when it brings in more money.

DM said that since we missed out on Maloney that we may sign more - he was non committal but said it would depend on performances. Thought yesterday said a lot and I'll probably be contradicting what I've posted recently. Think we need for sure 2 players. Think we need another Shinnie (not Andrew), a battler in the middle of the park. Goes back to us losing Robson and Flood, we lack bite and drive in the middle. We have plenty of so called flair players, but we need another combative battler, a lot is placed on Shinnie's shoulders and when he's not quite on we miss his drive and determination. We rely on McLean too much and he's too inconsistent. Another players adds to the competition for playing time there and that's a good thing.

We need another forward. Not sure if Moult is the answer but willing to go with him. Shockley is fast becoming the next blame guy. Not going to debate his ability or lack of but he will be the new Darren Mackie or Ryan Jack and don't see it working out for him here. Maynard did't look too bad yesterday but we're hoping here, I'd rather take on Moult. I think we've got the most out of Rooney we can get, but he also relied a lot on the service of Hayes and McGinn. They've gone and more is being asked of the forward. Don't think Rooney is capable of more. If we want a higher level of results we need higher level players which means a new forward is needed, it's time. Rooney got us this far, time to step aside.

It's going to take time for a new team to gel. I also think we need to adjust the tactics with new players coming in. A challenge to the coaching staff to perform with a new group. Time will tell but far too early to judge an entire team. Europe was ultimately preseason so tough to criticize too much.

I know it means fuck all but Apollon have got Midtjylland in the playoffs. Good draw for them! Fuck!

Ffs!!

Make no mistake.we totally totally fucked up.

Back to shitty SPFL.

I dont watch champs league or EPL.

I watch AFC and Scotland only so this is hugely disappointing stuff.

Europa is exciting..SPFL is shit.

Celtic fans must be bored of it too.

Another title for them.

The only part of the league that might be exciting is the possibility of us and the huns gunning for 2nd spot.

Is anyone genuinely excited for the Hamilton game?

I want to see Wright play from the start and more opportunities for younger players this season.

Get rid of Reynolds stockley rooney considine by Xmas.

Try Storey a few games and if nothing..add him to the list.

Be brutal not boring.

Looks like we can appeal and go for a replay due to the flares on the pitch.

Should we go for it or just bow out gracefully?

Normally I would just say leave it as it is, but there's a hell of a lot of money involved.

Wind-up, surely?

Football is full of sensitive wee souls these days.  They threw flares on the pitch, who cares?

We're out because they were better than us on the night. Move on.

Wind-up, surely?

Football is full of sensitive wee souls these days.  They threw flares on the pitch, who cares?

We're out because they were better than us on the night. Move on.

So many here have been talking about the huns and how for years they cheated to gain titles..win matches..buy players..pay wages they couldnt afford yeah.

Apollon basically cheated by setting off flares and throwing them at our player/s.

If Eufa deems this unfair violent conduct that disrupts a match and intimidates the opposition then bring on a replay or disqualify them.

Its a form if cheating but also extremely dangerous.

I care that they threw flares on the piitch and im damn sure the Aberdeen olayers did too.

As you say..its football not a fucking war zone.

Fuck them.

Replay and then move on ..without banned flares

So many here have been talking about the huns and how for years they cheated to gain titles..win matches..buy players..pay wages they couldnt afford yeah.

Apollon basically cheated by setting off flares and throwing them at our player/s.

Wow. The two aren't even remotely comparable. The huns fielded players over several years that they otherwise couldn't afford to buy, which bought them success. We played shite, and whilst playing shite, some flares got chucked onto the pitch.

The thing about the hun situation, is that most people are - with right on their side - genuinely asking for a fair punishment in the voiding of titles. Not being re-awarded or anything like that. I mentioned on one thread that I'd call for the dons to lose titles in similar circumstances, because it's about sporting integrity. Calling for Thursday's game to be replayed and citing the huns cheating totally undermines that point of view, because it would simply be a ridiculously harsh punishment that is completely unwarranted. Fine them, aye. Make them play a game or two without their fans, aye. At a real push, give their next round opponents a bye. We didn't deserve to go through, and the flares made absolutely no difference to that. That's not how you win games in sport, or it just not sport. In fact, it would be equivalent of the huns still claiming that they won those 14 trophies when everyone knows they cheated.

I'm with the rest of you regarding the flares.

We were shite and we're out, end of story.

The cups of pish though is a different story.

In this day and age it could be argued that Joe Lewis was at his place of work and as so deserves a decent standard of protection.

There would be a certain degree of embarrassment if we were awarded a victory and got through but if we then made the group stages I don't think I would be boycotting the games.

( and you ken me, I'm aye boycotting something)

Who's hysterical.

You, by the looks of it.

Its unnacceptanle behaviour having flares thrown at players win or lose.

Yeah, it's not great, but calling for replays of matches is fucking bonkers.

You should be sticking up for team not being apathetic.

Sticking up for the team? What  you on about? It's an internet forum, I don't think UEFA read this.  Or should we just shout and rant about everything being unjust, even if we don't agree with it?

If u accept its ok then ur attitude stinks.

At what point have I said it's ok?  More hysterical nonsense from you.  I said we lost the game fair and square, which we did, and it's now time to move on.

i saw the cups of pish too

I hope UEFA fuck these c@nts right out of the competition

But i also want f@ck all to do with any notion of us being reinstated in their place. We got beat cos we played shite over there and couldn't keep a clean sheet at home..

Good to see most of us acknowledge Apollon didn't cheat and we lost as we were crap, garbage, did not turn up, wilted in heat etc etc.

Point of order: 1 flare ONE landed in goal line area BEHIND Joe Lewis. It was nowhere near him. The Apollon group behind the goal set off flares (20?) which created a lot of smoke which the ref stopped the game for.  The game did not continue while smoke was at worst. One flare was thrown only.

We are out as the team on the night played boooffff, crap and created nothing. It was summed up by the horrendous Free kick by Tansey where Joe Lewis was up but cross never got past first man.

There is no chance zero chance of Apollon being thrown out. Sorry to disappoint.