Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the thursday before it though, I thought he looked pretty good when he came on against Brijek.  I've  only seen brief highlights of the Apollon game but he did sound off the pace, DM likes him though so I won't be surprised to see him start on thursday.

I reckon it will be

--------Lewis---------

-----O'Connor------Reynolds------

logan-----Arnason---------Consi

--------McLean-----Shinnie-------

Stewart-------Maynard--------Christie

That looks about right to me, but I suspect away from home he will start Stockley (or Rooney if fit) instead of Maynard.

Would be bitterly disappointed to see O'Connor dropped. Have rated him since his first appearance for us, and the League Cup Final aside, he's been consistent. I love Arnason, I think he's calmness personified, but it would be unfair on O'Connor & also Reynolds, who has shown in the last few games his pace is still an asset.

Tough one for the manager to call, but I am sure he will get it right.

It's a tough call right enough.

Arnason must play.

I don't rate o'Connor and I think Reynolds's best days have gone.

I hope I'm wrong on both counts but unless he drops one of them then we are going to try to force  a 0-0 draw.

It's going to be a long 90 minutes.

Can't see him dropping McKay Stephen

Arnason in for Reynolds or o'Connor will be the only change.

It's not going to be 0-0 so we need to score.

This.  I doubt we would sit back and play defensively, we're just not that sort of team.  An away goal there means they need 2 to go to ET, 2 away goals and they need 4 to win.

I'd give Rooney a shot though if he's fit.

What about Tansey? Seems he's not going to play a big part in the starting 11 over the course of the season, given that Shinnie, McLean, Stewart, Christie & Mackay-Steven will be the preferred midfield I would imagine.

Anyone else see where he fits in other than suspensions or injuries? Or will he be used more than I think?

McInnes is never going to play Maclean as a striker Rico, why on earth would he when he has 4 on the books?

McLean has played striker for us before (once), and St Mirren (several times). Rooney is injured, and the other 3 are not as good at football as McLean. Stockley was gash against Brijeg away (looked better last week admittedly), Maynard was gash last week and Storey is the wikipedia entry for gash. If Rooney was fit, it'd be him. He may go with Stockley like, but his lack of movement will be a huge issue away from home (as it was a fortnight ago). Mclean has a great first touch to bring the ball down, and will hold on to it until the team break. Exactly what we'll need.

Not me crediting McLean as an amazing player, just recognising that our other striking options aren't great.

Stockley cannot be trusted to start with his flying elbows. Maynard up front for me, Stockley to replace last 15 or 35 if things going badly (Rooney to replace if things are going well)

Stewart to bench, Tansey in, again straight replacement if things are going badly.

Arnie.....think its a week or 2 too early to be starting him and O'Connor has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped.

Ive no real reason other than gut instinct to think this but I do not believe we will keep a clean sheet over there so Id rather we went all out for an early away goal than sit in and try to soak up pressure.

Stockley cannot be trusted to start with his flying elbows. Maynard up front for me, Stockley to replace last 15 or 35 if things going badly (Rooney to replace if things are going well)

Stewart to bench, Tansey in, again straight replacement if things are going badly.

Arnie.....think its a week or 2 too early to be starting him and O'Connor has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped.

Ive no real reason other than gut instinct to think this but I do not believe we will keep a clean sheet over there so Id rather we went all out for an early away goal than sit in and try to soak up pressure.

Think I'd be happy with this. Surprised about the positive comments for Stockley last week, thought he was shite and should have tested the keeper with that header. A liability that can't be trusted in high pressure games, let's his elbows and emotions get the better of him.

I would keep the back 4 and let Arnie come on to close things up last 20 mins.

L

I would start Maynard as he doesn't have to score goals necessarily .As long as he runs about , gets into good positions, holds the ball up , takes some shots on goal and pressurises the defence...the others as proven already, can score the goals if he doesn't but I thin he's still more effective than Stockley, Rooney or Storey.

Gms must play as should McLean..I thought he was decent last week.was a bit in and out of the game but we still need him in the team.

Christie a starter of course and Stewart.

Lewis

Logan OC Reynolds Considine

McLean Shinnie

Stewart's Christie GMS

Maynard

Bring Wright on 20 mins

I would go with similar to Ricos team.Do we play Stockley or Maynard because were 'supposed' to play a recognised striker?.I thought both were like a square peg in a round hole last week.If McInnes has seen a major improvement in Maynard since last week,then play him,otherwise he's too big a risk.

And a combo of Maclean,Christie,GMS and Stewart in the mid/forward areas i think would create more opportunities by not having the hopeful lob to Stockley option.Intelligent,quick thinking guys...

I would go with similar to Ricos team.Do we play Stockley or Maynard because were 'supposed' to play a recognised striker?

Aye, you put it better than me like. It does seem like it would just be through convention that we'd play either Maynard or Stockley. Maynard looked out of his depth completely last week. Stockley was atrocious against Brijeg and hasn't done anything in his time here to suggest he'd lead the line well. His hold play isn't great, he rarely brings others into the game and his limited harassing of defenders usually results in a card of sorts.

I think playing one of those two just because it says "striker" on their CV could be the difference between us going through or not. I'm interested to know what people think either of them bring otherwise that would justify their place?

I can't believe some are suggesting the 4-6-0. That's giving the way too much respect. I didn't think they were that good and we go to win the game. Sitting on a 2-1 is suicide. Wouldn't be surprised to see a back 3 with wing backs but fully expect Shockley or Maynard, probably Shockley.

I can't believe some are suggesting the 4-6-0.

Nobody is. I'm suggesting playing McLean as the front man. He's played there before, has a good first touch and will bring others into the game. Happy to challenge in the air and will make decent runs to accept the ball. Will go down and win us free kicks too. That's my reasoning. Struggling to think of any for the other two.

Edit: apologies, noticed nips mentioned 4-6-0, but I think he may have just been joking.