Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Farts - Dons - Sunday

mistake - quote thing.

Rooney will be at Aberdeen for the rest of his career. Don't see him moving anywhere else.

He needs help up front in certain games as he appears totally adrift in certain games.  No contribution whatsoever.  So its not criticism its just the nature of non contribution in many games.

Unfortunately the days of 4-4-2 are gone and it means he wont have a partner up with him.  That is concerning for the SC Final since he is unable to unsettle and bash about defenders (like Grant Holt) when its as clear as night as day what is required in the final is chance to unsettle Celtic defenders rather than leave Rooney alone up front.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celtic's centre halves are big boys, trying to bash them about could play right into their hands. Why don't we get either Hayes or McGinn (or both) changing their runs and cutting inside at times to run at them and get them turned and running towards their own goal? No defenders want that. They'd be much more uncomfortable with that than a physical battle which they'd likely win anyway.

Celtic's centre halves are big boys, trying to bash them about could play right into their hands. Why don't we get either Hayes or McGinn (or both) changing their runs and cutting inside at times to run at them and get them turned and running towards their own goal? No defenders want that. They'd be much more uncomfortable with that than a physical battle which they'd likely win anyway.

Ive mentioned something similar a few times.Why not even trial playing without a recognised striker like Rooney or Stockley.It would force Hayes,McGinn,Christie etc to cut out aimless punts into the middle,and encourage better movement,while making our attacks quicker at the same time.All 3 are capable of end product

Ive mentioned something similar a few times.Why not even trial playing without a recognised striker like Rooney or Stockley.It would force Hayes,McGinn,Christie etc to cut out aimless punts into the middle,and encourage better movement,while making our attacks quicker at the same time.All 3 are capable of end product

Did we not try that with Storey earlier in the season? Obviously that's a world away from Hayes or McGinn mind, one which I wouldn't be against.

Did we not try that with Storey earlier in the season? Obviously that's a world away from Hayes or McGinn mind, one which I wouldn't be against.

We played Burns up front against the Tims at Parkhead and it didn't really work that well. We also played Hayes up front for large spells against the Tims in the last cup final with Rooney out wide. Didn't work either as the key issue - regardless of who plays furthest forward - is first getting the ball and second support of the highest player on the park once they get on it.

That said, McGinn has played very high up the pitch in a lot of games this season (especially since the turn of the year) and very narrow giving us almost two up front for a lot of game time. This seemed to result in the most goals and the most chances. I just don't see how McInnes does that with then Tierney and Sinclair up against Logan on his own.

I'm starting to think that we just don't have the available resources to combat the Tims. Best option for me is to play McLean (or Pawlett if Jack isn't fit) really high up alongside Rooney and put real pressure right on their back line. There are mistakes in there definitely, they just need to be forced.

Agree with Rico.

Burns (also) played up front against them at Pittodrie with Rooney on the bench. It didn't even come close to working.

We've looked our best against Celtic when we play the likes of Pawlett running off the back of Brown because it forces Brown to sit a bit deeper and he'll also be turning towards his own goal most of the time, rather than us playing in front of him for long periods at a time.  I actually think Pawlett is a good option for that role because of how he draws players in and changes direction quickly, often getting the foul. If he gets past Brown, he is either drawing a CB out or potentially has a free run at the defence.

Would rather see McGinn or Hayes in that specific role than McLean too. But if Jack is fit, I can't see McInnes deviating from his tried and trusted.