Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Milne leadership

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I'm shite with money matters (it's just vouchers for life experiences and enjoying yourself) so someone out there might know.  But multi-millionaires can get tax breaks for all types of things.

Mick Jagger only spends X amount of days in the UK each year so the tax man can't take his chunk, not a day more.  I'm pretty sure by donating a certain wedge to charity you can write off a lot of tax.

Stewart Milne Homes might be able to write off certain expenses against advertising through AFC or corporate packages?

Perhaps the £12m+ debt that Stuart Milne is covering is sitting in a high interest account, tax free, should the banks call his bluff and ask for it?

There are accountants who deal with these types of things and you can guarentee they're finding little loopholes here and there for Milne to exploit at our club's expense.

Knocks a couple of million of the estate for IHT purposes?  ???

SMH wouldn't be paying IHT. ???

If SMH isn't paying 30% tax in the UK, it'll likely be through accounts in  Cayman or Anguilla or similar.

My main piece of uni work this term is on (harmful) tax competition and as my grad job is in tax I'd like to think I have a decent grasp of such things, although admit I don't know everything. But again, yet to think of an idea of an idea how AFC would be benefiting SMH.

Mick Jagger won't pay tax on his earnings as he will be classed as a non-resident.

He's classed as a non-resident as he's out of the country for exactly the amount of time his accountant will tell him he has to be.

He's a British citizen and he'll own property in the UK but if he spends one day more than he should, then they'll be chapping at his door asking for tax.

That's his choice, and that's the UK Government's law, so it's fair enough. If the UK wanted to tax him, they could change the laws.

Yes.

Just as it is my gut instinct that Milne is our chairman for his own financial gain.

I don't think that at all. 

I was reading the December edition of 442 and he is, if memory serves, # 16 in the British Football top 100 Rich list.

My opinion is that he's just not that much into spending his own money on Aberdeen.

Ah, I see.

No, I don't think he's expecting any return from AFC per se.  I have it in my head that he's somehow gaining from us being in debt.

Put it this way, the club told us we were in debt around the £12m mark around 5 years ago, possibly more.  We've seen players signed for next to nothing (if at all), sold some players for actual cash(!), had deals with Nike and a sponsor added to the shorts, cut the playing staff to the bare minimum, done away with scouts and this season we've raked in money from Europe, cup runs and tv deals meanwhile cutting costs way back wherever possible.

All this and we're give or take a few toasters, still wavering around the £12m mark in debt.

Nobody find this strange?

It's almost like 'somebody' has decided that that figure is far enough away from a takeover bid to be launched but not too far to be cleared if we sell Pittodrie or, say, dip into their own wealth if need be.

Ah, I see.

No, I don't think he's expecting any return from AFC per se.  I have it in my head that he's somehow gaining from us being in debt.

Put it this way, the club told us we were in debt around the £12m mark around 5 years ago, possibly more.  We've seen players signed for next to nothing (if at all), sold some players for actual cash(!), had deals with Nike and a sponsor added to the shorts, cut the playing staff to the bare minimum, done away with scouts and this season we've raked in money from Europe, cup runs and tv deals meanwhile cutting costs way back wherever possible.

All this and we're give or take a few toasters, still wavering around the £12m mark in debt.

Nobody find this strange?

It's almost like 'somebody' has decided that that figure is far enough away from a takeover bid to be launched but not too far to be cleared if we sell Pittodrie or, say, dip into their own wealth if need be.

I THINK that around that time it the figure was £9m. It's now gone up to around £13m.

Aye, nae conspiracy. I think Milne is pretty much stuck. If he walks away he will look like mair of a cant than people have him down as now. He, like many other fitba chairman in Scotland, didn't have the foresight to see that Scottish football's marketing value was over inflated when he was spending heaps trying to keep up with the Old Firm.

Aye, nae conspiracy. I think Milne is pretty much stuck. If he walks away he will look like mair of a cant than people have him down as now. He, like many other fitba chairman in Scotland, didn't have the foresight to see that Scottish football's marketing value was over inflated when he was spending heaps trying to keep up with the Old Firm.

I agree with most of that. He however was not spending much at all, the club is the one in the grubber.

My take on the whole thing is that we have seriously missed a trick - always strengthen when in a position of strength.  With a wee bit of cash in the bank and with us embarking on what was looking like a successful season, we should have taken the opportunity to bring in better players in the January window.  As it is now we could fade away into relative obscurity with what could shortly turn out to be Jimmy Calderwood's weakest squad if various out of contract players choose to move on.  It's all about being able to re-build but you always have to have that nucleus there in the first place.

I admire the cautious stance to an extent (ie Bosmans and loans for now but may pay transfer fees in the summer), and of course the necessity to live by our means but a move to Aberdeen FC, still involved in 4 competitions in January would surely have been a very attractive proposition to many players.  Instead our squad has become weakened and to the extent where morale may indeed suffer between now and May and so the cycle continues.  Who's to say that a speculation of £250k on a key player in January wouldn't make the difference between us qualifying for Europe or not?  It seems the board are a little bit unimaginative, short-sighted (or both) and appear to be taking a big gamble, either that or they're happy not to have to budget for another foray into Europe next season.

The way it is, I think we might need to wait another few years for another European adventure...

Spot on bud, that's my main gripes right there.

Even keeping the squad together for the remainder of the season instead of cashing in on a few hundred k for Clark and Hart now.  Surely a cup final would have recouped that and more?

It's like they'd already decided we'd gone far enough this year, cut their losses and started planning for next season.

Guttless shower of cunts.

:hammer: