Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Milne leadership

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't agree with him at all.

His logic states that because we spend the 4th highest amount of money we should finish third (?) but he's already decided before the end of the season that isn't going to happen.

Hi ssimple money calculation also ignores any things that can happen in football, injuries, luck, back room issues etc, that can change situations. However he has conveniently allowed the Hearts situation to impact his calculation to help his point.

We might finish 4th or maybe 7th but that pales into insignificance against Milne making us insolvent.

Totally agree. Having the 4th biggest budget does not guarentee even a top 6 finish. You have to factor in team management, player attitude, squad harmony etc. as well. Look at the Dons team that struggled to get out of the bottom three with Willie Miller in charge, it was packed with talent that, collectively, were probably earning the 3rd biggest salary in the League.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is not personally worth £500m ::)

This is another one that grinds my gears!  >:D

So what if he's not worth £500m?  So what if it's his assets that's worth £X00m and he doesn't have that much in the bank?

We're not hundreds of millions in debt, we're somewhere around the £12m mark, half of which he paid himself last year, so I heard.

I also heard we're paying £0.5m/year interest on our loan.  If he loaned us that interest free, which I think is the least he could do, we'd have £0.5m/year to spend on the football side.  Even half of that would be huge and mean we'd not be losing players or struggling to sign any real quality.

He's throwing houses up left right and centre, he could be attracting better players to the club by giving them fancy houses in his new developments, rent free.  When they leave the club they leave the keys and he can probably sell it on for more than he'd have sold it when it was new.

There's plenty ways he could be helping the club out, he's got the resources, but I just don't believe it's in his interest to.

Wolves benefitted greatly from a chairman lobbing cash at them all through the 90s, with a "top class2 manager at the helm, didn't they?

Why does it always come down to £££ and Milne.

If the players were capable of the Copenhagen performance they should be capable of that again and again and again..........nothing to do with the chairman.

Wolves benefitted greatly from a chairman lobbing cash at them all through the 90s, with a "top class2 manager at the helm, didn't they?

If the players were capable of the Copenhagen performance they should be capable of that again and again and again..........nothing to do with the chairman.

In which case, do you not think that the manager has something to do with that then?

In theory you are right but I'd suggest if the players were capable of maintiaing such high standards they would not be playing for Aberdeen.

When playing football the most difficult thing to do is maintain your highest level of performance. The players that can do that are the best and that does not include any player currently playing for AFC.

Part of my point BB, yes!

Not Milne, but JC and the players.

That's fair enough Madbad. I know you are not one who wishes to see JC leave. But I have to say that I now think he's incapable of making our team work with the tools that he has at his disposal. (tools being the operative word, I think it's fair to say)

Unfortunately, the situation with Milne is one we're stuck with for the foreseeable future so we need to find a manager who can work within the constraints that the debt places on that position.

If he's willing to accept the praise for our good results - and JC is not slow in reminding people of them - then he has to take responsibility for those performances and results that, simply, are fucking hideous. He doesn't do that. Fans won't put up with that, and he'll lose the dressing room rapidly, if he hasn't lost it already.

I have to take the credit/blame for the performance of kids in my dept. at school, and I can't transfer in a few Higher 'A' pupils to look good! Stuck with what I get, so I do my best to get them to do their best.....I can't pass the exams for them however.

Milne is not the problem, although he could help.......JC can only do so much, he doesn't mis the sitters, or misplace the passes.

The players ARE culpable of underperforming, and about time they saw that and were made, somehow, to pay for it.

I have to take the credit/blame for the performance of kids in my dept. at school, and I can't transfer in a few Higher 'A' pupils to look good! Stuck with what I get, so I do my best to get them to do their best.....I can't pass the exams for them however.

Milne is not the problem, although he could help.......JC can only do so much, he doesn't mis the sitters, or misplace the passes.

The players ARE culpable of underperforming, and about time they saw that and were made, somehow, to pay for it.

so why bother with a manager at all then?

so why bother with a manager at all then?

The same reason as they bother with teachers at school.

There's definitely something to this and it's about time certain players were benched when not performing.

Too many are walking straight into the squad and some even hobbling.

Guest fatshaft

only person with the money and local is the boy ian wood(Woodgroup) but i think he's into rugby or something

Wood is a monumental tight-arse. If by some miracle he did take over - which he wouldn;t as he'd have to spend money - he would make Wiggy look profligate.

Guest fatshaft

christ, get a grip (a lot of you) will you.

There's absolutley no doubting the business acumen of stewart milne (as he is a self made multi millionaire with one of the biggest independant house builders in the country) so no-one can bitch about how he runs a business (if you're better, then where's your millions???)

Without him personally, AFC would have had the administrators in a long time ago.  Without him, you would have no club to support (not that there's much supporting going on here).  The club was in dire straits before he came into the chairmans position (yes he conintued to spend more than was coming in - but this was necessary to try to keep up in the premier league then) but it's not all his debt that the club has.

There is a compromise to be made, and he's making it.  It's not a very popular compromise, but it's keeping our debt wolf from the door.  Maybe a 250k defender and a 300k forward wouldn't go astray, but then their wage demands would out of our strucutre. 

I can't be arsed typing anymore.

Great post.

Amazing, 41 votes and I'm the second one to vote for the Chairman. There's not exactly a queue of investors lining up to take over. It's a shame that most of the real money from oil has been made from companies that are not actually Aberdonian owned, but it is what it is. If Ian Wood was anybody but him we could indeed have the chance of a great local benefactor, but after him Wiggy is the best we can get moneywise.

Now for me, the man is extremely busy trying to run a huge natioanl company, and combine it with Chairman, but I live in hope that once he takes the foot off the gas a bit, and hands the reigns to his sons, he'll spend more time and money on the Pittodrie empire as his retirement "plaything".

Maybe if we were more supportive of the guy, he may feel like it was worth helping out the miserable bunch of moaning toerags that are the Dons supporters.

One thing's for sure, there's no-one else that anyone can think of that would have anything like the cash of Wiggy, so until he does up sticks, give it a rest.

Guest fatshaft

Is this the same Motherwell that cuff us (and anybody else given half a chance) at any given oppertunity?  Maybe a spell in the doldrums would shake a few folk into action then.  LIke Willie Miller said after the Copo game if a team is going down the pan and towards relegation all of a sudden, Directors spring magically into action and cash is found.  Why not prevent all the pain/suffering/torment and sackings and INVEST in the club and the team from the start?

A spell in the doldrums?  ???  What about the last 15 years, is that not long enough in the doldrums?

Guest fatshaft

Do people actually think that Milne would put himself through a 15 year charade, pretending to be an Aberdeen fan, putting himself in the firing line and public eye in a negative way, just to get his hands on a msall piece of land at fucking Linksfield? He's got twice has big, 10 times as profitable pieces of land in places like Westhill and Bieldside coming out of his arse.

Milne has provided us with enough resources for us to expect a team capable of comfortably finishing in 3rd place (based on Hearts still being in self destruct mode). He's got Willie Miller in charge of overseeing the football operation, a man championed for the poisiton by the supporter's trust, another patron of the AFC Trust on the board of directors and he's got capable people running the other areas of the club.

I don't know what people expect him to do other than 'you're rich, give us money'. If you're unhappy with the product on the pitch, the buck stops firmly with Calderwood, he's the one who used all his budget signing half a dozen useless squad players to replace the quality players we've lost.

:clap:

Guest fatshaft

I don't think anyone truely believes that Milne is just after the land.  As you've said, there's plenty other sites around Aberdeen that he won't have to wait in excess of 10 years to lay is grubby mitts on.

One thing I do believe though is that us being in debt is good for him.  By some he's seen as untouchable as he's securing the debt but then he's also scaring off any other potential buyers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not some sort of way to make his own company more money by having the club stuck in millions of debt.

Ok, I realise you'll just say anything to throw mud at Wiggy.

But if you can explain how this could work in any way whatsoever, I'll refrain from further comment on this topic?

at least teachers at school take responsibility for their actions.

Thats a good one.

Most of the teachers I've met seem to blame resources, the government, kids, parents, society and infrastructure. That's not a criticism of the teachers, these are my family members I'm talking about, but a by product of the limitations they work within. This applies even more to the bad teachers who will blame anything before they say they are shite.

JC knows fine he is ultimately responsible because he knows he will lose his job and it's human nature to share blame.

But if you can explain how this could work in any way whatsoever, I'll refrain from further comment on this topic?

Not too clued up on money matters (maybe Slim can help) but I'm pretty sure there's tax breaks (or something) to be had if you're running a company that is bankrupt or in debt.

Personally I'd LOVE it if the banks called in the money they were due long before we had the chance to sell Pittodrie.  Just to force his hand and to see exactly what kind of fan he was.

Thats a good one.

Most of the teachers I've met seem to blame resources, the government, kids, parents, society and infrastructure. That's not a criticism of the teachers, these are my family members I'm talking about, but a by product of the limitations they work within. This applies even more to the bad teachers who will blame anything before they say they are shite.

JC knows fine he is ultimately responsible because he knows he will lose his job and it's human nature to share blame.

My father was a teacher as was my mother. And I can assure you they did take responsibility. Of course you get ones who don't, and ones who go on moaning about the kids and how it's the kids fault they can't be taught properly, but in general they're the bad teachers.

JC is not sharing the blame though, is he? The blame is lumped squarely on the shoulders of the players he picks who are carrying (or attempting to) out his orders and he isn't picky about who hears his criticisms of his players either.

Another prime example of his piss poor management was him blaming Nicholson for getting himself injured. Bearing in mind this is a guy he says he wants to re-sign for next season, he has now blamed him for getting injured twice (Once with Hartley and once with Roy Keane) when in reality it was the result of bad challenges. Why would Nicholson want to stay and play for a manager who not only doesn't back him up, but publicly chastises him?

My father was a teacher as was my mother. And I can assure you they did take responsibility. Of course you get ones who don't, and ones who go on moaning about the kids and how it's the kids fault they can't be taught properly, but in general they're the bad teachers.

JC is not sharing the blame though, is he? The blame is lumped squarely on the shoulders of the players he picks who are carrying (or attempting to) out his orders and he isn't picky about who hears his criticisms of his players either.

Another prime example of his piss poor management was him blaming Nicholson for getting himself injured. Bearing in mind this is a guy he says he wants to re-sign for next season, he has now blamed him for getting injured twice (Once with Hartley and once with Roy Keane) when in reality it was the result of bad challenges. Why would Nicholson want to stay and play for a manager who not only doesn't back him up, but publicly chastises him?

Can you give me direct quotes of where he actually blamed Nicholson?