Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Shay Logan

Although I'd expect McGinn to score more goals than he did last season, i think a more accurate measure of his effectiveness (if we must use stats) will be his assists and there's no one better than him for that.

A better gauge is just to watch the games.

I'm a huge advocate of the use of data and facts but stats in football is in its relative infancy.

The most stupid stat is the measure of a goalkeeper by referring to clean sheets of course but the same two players can have "an assist", one was brilliant skill and the other fortuitous. One lost the ball the whole game and contributed nothing whereas the other broke up everything the opposition threw at us.

Like you said, stats aren't particularly useful in football. McGinn is still our best talent because he is, not cos of stats, either goals or assists. He's also not, in the last two years delivered the full extent of what he's capable of....

apart from the opening game of this season.

McInnes is often maligned about his use of subs or the lack of. Against DUFC, a game that was going nowhere, a draw written all over it, the subs changed the game. McGinn in particular was sharp and incisive and started delivering quality into the box, something we hadn't been able to do from after the first 5 or 10 minutes (a couple of good runs from Hayes). The stats won't say that McGinn had any goals or assists that day but he was instrumental in injecting pace and urgency into our team that day, a fantastic last 20 minutes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A better gauge is just to watch the games.

I'm a huge advocate of the use of data and facts but stats in football is in its relative infancy.

The most stupid stat is the measure of a goalkeeper by referring to clean sheets of course but the same two players can have "an assist", one was brilliant skill and the other fortuitous. One lost the ball the whole game and contributed nothing whereas the other broke up everything the opposition threw at us.

Like you said, stats aren't particularly useful in football. McGinn is still our best talent because he is, not cos of stats, either goals or assists. He's also not, in the last two years delivered the full extent of what he's capable of....

Completely agree. The stats which are thrown about for football are so inconsequential a lot of the time - they are produced for the sake of producing stats, another talking point for limited commentators.

What stats would we have used for guys like Simpson and Grant? Guys who broke play up and started attacks and would often try to get on the end of attacks they'd started on the edge of their own areas. I've yet to see a stat that would give a clear indication of this. But if you watch the game you'd know.

Completely agree. The stats which are thrown about for football are so inconsequential a lot of the time - they are produced for the sake of producing stats, another talking point for limited commentators.

What stats would we have used for guys like Simpson and Grant? Guys who broke play up and started attacks and would often try to get on the end of attacks they'd started on the edge of their own areas. I've yet to see a stat that would give a clear indication of this. But if you watch the game you'd know.

With the proviso that many "fans" aren't qualified to know because they are unable to see. Grant and Simpson are excellent examples.

You correctly identified that "professionals" in the game are "limited" so we can imagine how lacking "amateurs" are.

People who haven't played the game or who haven't studied it or who simply aren't old enough to know anything fill up a lot of space in the various forums, almost all of it shite and mostly driven by a need to have their own "limited" voice heard.

It's the culture we live in. Whilst I agree that the "respect your elders" that we got taught was shite - because age alone is not a guarantee that they are worthy of respect - it is fact that experience alone brings wisdom. I learn from a huge variety of sources including from kids. Many, including the young, are incapable of learning at all, having fixed maps and never having been taught to think properly, let alone critically. They are the product of declining education standards, of political agendas including political correctness. Blair's saturation of tertiary education numbers might have won him a few points on an imaginary scale of economics but it was a disaster for education, as every experienced university professor will attest, the damage having been done at school level with shocking levels of basic numeracy and literacy.

What role does McInnes set out for McGinn?

What role does he set out for Goodwillie?

Well based on what I've seen he has transitioned from the focal point of our attack under brown to more of a creative role nowadays. Rather than being deployed through the middle he's been providing more width usually, cutting in when the situation arises.

That's only based on what I've seen though, I'm sure it varies depending on the opposition.

With goodwillie he seems to have been asked to play up top in Europe and mainly tasked with holding the ball up waiting for support from midfield to arrive before bringing them into play, it's a role he's done reasonably well but it's definitely reduced the amount of chances he's had/created for himself.  From memory he managed to get in behind on a couple occasions which I think he could be doing more of, that's just my opinion though. I've been on holiday the last couple of weeks so I've missed the couple of games when he was played up front with Rooney from the start, I'd be interested to see how that's been working out from more than just the highlights.

Saying that, I'm sure most of that is completely wrong.... Just my observations.

Well based on what I've seen he has transitioned from the focal point of our attack under brown to more of a creative role nowadays. Rather than being deployed through the middle he's been providing more width usually, cutting in when the situation arises.

That's only based on what I've seen though, I'm sure it varies depending on the opposition.

With goodwillie he seems to have been asked to play up top in Europe and mainly tasked with holding the ball up waiting for support from midfield to arrive before bringing them into play, it's a role he's done reasonably well but it's definitely reduced the amount of chances he's had/created for himself.  From memory he managed to get in behind on a couple occasions which I think he could be doing more of, that's just my opinion though. I've been on holiday the last couple of weeks so I've missed the couple of games when he was played up front with Rooney from the start, I'd be interested to see how that's been working out from more than just the highlights.

Saying that, I'm sure most of that is completely wrong.... Just my observations.

Have more confidence in yourself man!

The reason I asked about Goodwillie is because I personally haven't got a clue what he's supposed to be doing and I'm not sure that he knows either.

Yes, he's been quite reasonable at holding the ball up but without a proper tactical plan in place, and particularly without Rooney up front (played together the last twice), we weren't getting the most from his strength, skill and speed, in my view.

McGinn has developed into a great provider and crosser of the ball from the right and can turn up inside the box when the play is coming down the left, being unlucky not to score last season, as stated above by others. He's a classic right half/right wing mix, with great pace and touch and consistent distribution, plus he can score given the chance. During his lean spell, I'm not sure he knew what he was supposed to be doing and there is no doubt in my mind that this led to some poor performances due to poor effort levels.

Logan on the other hand is a clear RB who has an attacking tendency, someone good defensively - MOTM in the final we won for me - and fast with good feet who can add weight going forward. What I love about him is that he tries 100% of the time, every game and it will be a shame to see him go, something I reckon we can expect this season given the cover we've taken in for him from Liverpool.

SHALEUM Logan today claimed the Dons will be just as fired up to beat struggling Hamilton as they were champions Celtic.

Table-topping Aberdeen were tonight set to host Accies knowing victory would move them five points clear of the Hoops.

Right-back Logan endeared himself further to the Red Army by tapping his Dons badge in the 2-1 win over Celtic.

The 27-year-old also cheekily blew a kiss to the Celtic fans after receiving stick during the top-of-the-table clash.

Logan was delighted to give the club’s fans something to cheer about with a win that fired the Dons to the top of the Premiership table.

However, he insisted the battle to overcome Hamilton, who suffered a heavy 4-1 loss at St Johnstone at the weekend, carries just as much significance as the Celtic showdown.

He said: “Celtic are seen as the top team in Scotland so it is always sweet to beat them, especially in front of a packed Pittodrie.

“It was a great day for our fans.

“However, the same three points are up for grabs against Hamilton which is just as important a game.

“If we can get another three points it will take us nearer to where we want to be at the end of the season.

“The manager does not take anything for granted and takes every game as it comes.

“We work hard to prepare for each game, no matter who it is.”

I was in stitches when he blew that kiss and thumped his badge

• 1 month later...

Would hardly surprising given his families location.

ABERDEEN defender Shay Logan has revealed he is unsure if he will still be at the club next season.

The full-back has eight months left to run on his contract.

The 27-year-old, originally from Wythenshawe in Greater Manchester, admitted family reasons could spell the end of his time at Pittodrie as he has three children who all live down south.

Logan said: “At this moment in time I am not in a position to commit to anything.

“I want to have a talk with my family and my manager and see what is the best outcome for me.”

The former Manchester City full-back moved to the Granite City from Brentford in January 2014, initially on a six-month loan deal.

That deal would become permanent in the summer of 2014  following his departure from Griffin Park, with Logan penning a two-year deal with the Reds.

However, that contract is due to expire in around eight months  –  and the Englishman revealed he is unsure whether he will sign a new one.

Although his future plans remain unclear, the full-back has  reassured  the Red Army he will continue to give his all for the Dons, with Aberdeen facing a crunch league showdown away to Celtic this weekend.

Logan added: “At the moment I am under contract with Aberdeen for this season and I will give my all.

“Maybe in January we will see what happens on that front.

“But, to be honest, I  haven’t really thought about it, because that is not my goal at the minute.

“My goal is just to give 110% for Aberdeen for the time I am here and then we will see what happens.

“I am not putting any eggs in any basket and saying I want to go or I want to stay.

“I am not going to say that because at this moment in time I don’t know what I want personally or what is best for my family.

“At the end of the day it all comes down to family with me.”

He's not really been here for the last couple of months anyway. Keep performing poorly and he won't be missed. It's a pity because he's obviously a quality player when he's got his head on straight.

It's no secret he would rather be near his family but he should think about starting to earn that move.

Would be the most sensible option imo. good player, but a bit of money for him would mean we could get someone adequate to replace him as what's obvious is is that that person isn't currently at the club.

Given some of McInnes' recent decisions I wouldn't be surprised to see Shinnie punted in there!

• 3 months later...

So much for the homesick line and the missing his baby stuff then.

He's a winner, one of our best players. He and Shinnie are the best full backs we've had since Robertson. Logan is our best right back for even longer, for a period spanning three decades, possibly four.

So it's understandable he wouldn't commit his future. He saw and played in that horrible spell of continuous defeats, getting beat by shit football clubs, a spell that may arguably or will inevitably have cost us the chance of winning the league in May. I don't blame any ambitious professional coming into his prime for not committing to that shite.

Would still like to know what went wrong though. Or at least one day, I'd like to be assured that the manager knew.

Similar article in today's Retard:

Aberdeen defender Shay Logan: Champions League chance would keep me at Pittodrie

06:00, 15 FEB 2016

BY MICHAEL GANNON

THE right back is out of contract at the end of the season and admits that winning the league and qualifying for the Champions League would convince him to stay.

SHAY LOGAN insists a crack at the Champions League could convince him to sign a new contract at Pittodrie.

The Aberdeen full back’s deal is up in the summer and he’s considering his future with his young family in England.

Logan is keeping his options open but he admitted the Dons winning the title would make it impossible to leave.

Aberdeen are looking to go level with Celtic at the top tonight with a win in Inverness.

Logan admitted he is loving life at Pittodrie - and he’s relighting being in a title fight.

He said: “Champions League might make it a heck of a difference. That would be a massive thing.

“It’s still to be confirmed. I have yet to speak to the manager but I am sure that will happen in the next few weeks.

“I love playing for Aberdeen. I love the city and the people in it. I’m part of a great bunch of lads and I get on with everyone from the cleaners who come to my house to the ground staff who I talk to daily.

“I love it - and that’s why it’s going to be a big decision.

“I’ll have to take real consideration as to what I do.”

Logan admitted he has family issues with three young kids - but that won’t be the only consideration when weighing up his future.

He said: “Yeah, people say my family is down south, but I played down in London for three years before I came here so I have been away for a long time.

“People need to understand that football is a short career. My family will always be there but football won’t.

“That has to come in to my decision. It will be on all aspects. It won’t be taken lightly.

“Anyone who has kids knows it’s tough. It’s not like people who work offshore and don’t see them for two or three weeks.

“Obviously it’s not the best but you have to think of your career. The family are a bit part of the decision but not the only factor.

“I don’t know what I am going to do yet. I just take every day as it comes and enjoy every moment.

“I’ve always got a smile on my face because I enjoy being in this place.”

Logan insisted boss Derek McInnes is another huge reason for the pull of staying at Pittodrie and he rates the gaffer as the best he has played under.

He said: “I can see where Derek and Tony Docherty are taking the club.

“In terms of manager’s, for me he is top. No doubt. His man management towards me has been second to none.

“It could be a day off or asking how I am, he’s been brilliant. Tony Doc is the same, we’ve had a good few games of golf and we talk about things away from football.

“I have massive respect for the pair of them.

“That’s another massive factor with me as they have done so well for me.

“I’ve been at clubs when I’ve been playing well but not seeing eye-to-eye with the manager. You want to have a good relationship.

“I’ve always respected every manager but you like some more than others.

“Derek McInnes has been excellent for me - I couldn’t have asked for more.”

He's a winner, one of our best players. He and Shinnie are the best full backs we've had since Robertson. Logan is our best right back for even longer, for a period spanning three decades, possibly four.

Stewart McKimmie was an infinitely superior player to Logan. As much as I like Logan, he couldn't get near to McKimmie's levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Some Tims speaking of rumours that Celtic are looking at Shay.

I'm sure he'll be delighted to sign for a club whose fans boo him after he was racially abused. [/sarcasm]

Heard this rumour yesterday but didn't think it was worthy of comment, as can only be a load of pish surely