Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Shay Logan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's human and therefore he will sign for whoever pays him the most.

This is normally what I'd think but I get the feeling that Shay has strong morals and they wouldn't allow him to sign for the Tims. Although it is a good 3 hours closer to his family.

Aberdeen defender Shay Logan appears close to reaching an agreement to extend his stay at the club.

The defender had been expected to return to England to be closer to his family when his contract expires at the end of the season but Dons boss Derek McInnes is optimistic the 28-year-old will sign up for another year at Pittodrie.

McInnes said: “We would like him to stay.

“He has such a strong connection here that he would love to stay and we are just trying to find a way to make it happen.

“We will probably get this game out of the way then we have two weeks before the next game and we will see if we can shed a bit more light in the situation.”

Please make this happen!

• 1 month later...

Excellent news!! Good to tie up one of our most consistent performers.  :thumbsup:

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year we are hearing "he has been sh!t£ since he signed his new deal, we should have let him go" or "Logan out of position again and cost us another goal why did we keep him" from certain sections of our support who never seem to be happy.

Hopefully this is the beginning of some other decent players coming in.

:thumbsup: Fantastic news. :) Great to see him stay. He plays for the club, love his banter with the unwashed fans

He is the only one in that team that has the balls to do it. Every one of that team should be capable of giving those scum bags abuse / banter (delete as appropriate) and I love it when he does.

Edit: He said that European football was a major factor in him staying.

• 2 years later...

Very good pedigree imo, better than what I thought we would sign.  But as you point out, hasn't played since last year, why?  :-\

Could be a bit of shrewd business...here's hoping anyway

Probably as good as you are going to get at this time of year. Looks like he can play centre half or right back.

6'4" so will have the turning circle of a cross Channel ferry. Not really convinced he has been signed as a straight Logan replacement.....I've got a hunch we will see a change in tactics from now till season's end where we go with a back 3 and utilise any 2 from Lowe, McGinn, GMS and McLennan as wing backs so he's more cover for McKenna Devlin or Consi.

If I'm wrong then God help us on Sunday should he get put in at right back. Kent will tie him in knots.

6'4" so will have the turning circle of a cross Channel ferry. Not really convinced he has been signed as a straight Logan replacement.....I've got a hunch we will see a change in tactics from now till season's end where we go with a back 3 and utilise any 2 from Lowe, McGinn, GMS and McLennan as wing backs so he's more cover for McKenna Devlin or Consi.

If I'm wrong then God help us on Sunday should he get put in at right back. Kent will tie him in knots.

I think you might be right. Although I don't think we'll necessarily change tactics for tonight and against the bottom 6 teams in general. Post split last season, we succesfully switched to a 4-5-1 type format with Ball as an additional midfielder. I expect he'll want to do similar this season post-split but with a 3 as you suggest.

I actually think we'd be better retaining the back 4. Considine's worst performances at left back were when we dicked about with a back 3 or 5, leaving his pace exposed (usually to a Tim winger). When he was left of a back 4 and able to sit right on top of his man he was significantly better and often very good. Given we have Lowe at left back, who is very forward thinking, in my mind we can just simply invert our lopsided one attacking full back, one defensive full back method to suit. I suppose it's pragmatism really. Even with this new guy, I suspect we don't have an actual right back, so we need to pick the least worst option. A back five would be fine up until we're due to fill the right wing back place. McGinn would be the only one, for me, that could be trusted to track back as well as get forward, but I think we'd struggle to accomodate that formation with our other personnel and we'll get congested - especially at Pittodrie which is quite narrow. Either way, we've nae got the perfect solution.