Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪️🔴

New goalkeeping coach?

Ooft.

LONG-SERVING keeper Jamie Langfield looks to be in the frame to succeed legend Jim Leighton as the club’s goalie coach.

Dons boss Derek McInnes wouldn’t confirm his plans following the shock departure of Gothenburg Great Leighton, who was asked to leave Pittodrie for the second time in six years last week.

But he did admit he has no plans to take in anyone from the outside to take on the task of training the club’s keepers at all age levels.

That opens the door for veteran Langfield, who is about to enter his testimonial season, to be asked to combine that task with his playing duties. McInnes said: “We will deal with that over the next few weeks.”

Leighton’s swift departure stunned many at Pittodrie.

The 56-year-old declined the offer from McInnes to say farewell to their fans at their game against St Johnstone.

McInnes admitted the decision to part company with such a club legend was not an easy one to make.

He said: “Some decisions managers have to make are harder than others and that was one of the toughest.

“But everything I do is for what I see as the best way forward for the club.

“I thanked Jim for his efforts. He was a valuable member of my staff and served this club brilliantly for many years. I know how much the club meant to Jim but just felt there was a need for a change in that department.

“It was made for football reasons and nothing else.”

I apologise to the loon in the other thread whom I called mental. (Tho surely this is fat postie guesswork, not a genuine possibility?)

To be honest I thought the boy was kidding. Didn't think it was actually a possibility. :(

If it creates space for another keeper, this canna be a bad thing. I dinna think GK coach is that meaningful a role anyway.

Could be a plan to keep him happy for the last year of his contract whilst giving the team an excuse (as if needed) to reduce his playing time, and freeing up a wage to pay a "better" keeper than we already have?

If it creates space for another keeper, this canna be a bad thing. I dinna think GK coach is that meaningful a role anyway.

This is the most important point here IMO, opening up a spot, hopefully for a new no. 1 is something we needed to happen. Maybe the best way without costing the club more money.

Cannot see how it would create space for another keeper as would still have, Brown, Langfield and Rogers at the club plus young lad who played for U20s. Cannot see us adding another keeper to that mix. All this move does as far as I can see is free up Leightons wages for the over all budget.

It would be like Andy Murray hiring Tim Henman as his coach. No point. He's not going to get anything out of it. (Not even an improved volley)

I disagree. There's nothing to suggest that Langfield doesn't understand the goalkeeping position. I'm pish at fitba, but I know exactly what I should be doing and I believe I could pass that understanding on to others. Unlike Leighton I suspect (because he was ace in goals), Langfield will be more aware of his weaknesses and may just prove quite good at helping others get over theirs. I've heard in the past that he works hard and has a decent personality, so that may help.

The only thing that concerns me is his lack of qualification and his ability to bring something new and forward thinking to the role. He doesn't strike me as a pioneer or big thinker. I'd prefer us just to give him his testimonial and then part ways in order to bring in someone with ideas and a scientific approach to 'keeping.

I disagree. There's nothing to suggest that Langfield doesn't understand the goalkeeping position. I'm pish at fitba, but I know exactly what I should be doing and I believe I could pass that understanding on to others. Unlike Leighton I suspect (because he was ace in goals), Langfield will be more aware of his weaknesses and may just prove quite good at helping others get over theirs. I've heard in the past that he works hard and has a decent personality, so that may help.

The only thing that concerns me is his lack of qualification and his ability to bring something new and forward thinking to the role. He doesn't strike me as a pioneer or big thinker. I'd prefer us just to give him his testimonial and then part ways in order to bring in someone with ideas and a scientific approach to 'keeping.

Aye but Clangers has an almost decade long history of being a dos cunt. Whereas you don't (as far as I know.) I have zero faith in him being able to coach a young goalkeeper to know when to come off his line and when not to and when to come for crosses etc. There's a chance that he could be a good coach but I think it's a really small chance.

And the things I've heard about his personality are less than favourable. Apparently he bitches about folk behind their backs.  :rofl:

Aye but Clangers has an almost decade long history of being a dos cunt. Whereas you don't (as far as I know.) I have zero faith in him being able to coach a young goalkeeper to know when to come off his line and when not to and when to come for crosses etc. There's a chance that he could be a good coach but I think it's a really small chance.

And the things I've heard about his personality are less than favourable. Apparently he bitches about folk behind their backs.  :rofl:

Must the be the last remaining of the "salt of the Earth" folk left at the club?  I'd rather see him gone after his testimonial because he is the epitome of mediocrity, but if deek thinks he can be a good couch, well I'll trust his judgement.

Must the be the last remaining of the "salt of the Earth" folk left at the club?  I'd rather see him gone after his testimonial because he is the epitome of mediocrity, but if deek thinks he can be a good couch, well I'll trust his judgement.

Good old predictive text !

As long as Deek doesn't rush into a decision. Maybe he should sleep on it first.  :wave: