Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Released Players and New Deals

Totally agree - I reckon he is popular as folk think his wife is hot but he does nothing for me - looks or play wise!!

Underwhelming with the others is spot on too - I thought Daniels never got much of a chance when he arrived on loan so it will be interesting to see if any more defenders come in over the summer - squad definately needs bolstered there imo

Didn't Daniels get injured? Thought he start well enough, would like to think we'll get someone in to replace him.

I actually think Hilton is correct, certainly don't put it down to his wife being hot ;) He looked awful when he first arrived but has steadied himself. I wouldn't say he's the first name I'd put on my team sheet, but he does a job for us and has improved infinitely from his initial form. Been better than Reynolds this season IMO.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly Taylor was put in the team of the year by both Tom English and Richard Wilson on wednesdays sportsound.  I think he's improved and will continue to do so though the noises are that Culjak is going to be given game time, interesting to see where that leads re hebrews comments on CB.  Jim Spence was saying yesterday he reckons we will make at least 3 signings this summer not including shinnie.  Looking through the out of contract list the only player that stands out is Marley watkins, he could defo do a job for us. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I dinna think Taylor is a poor player, I think he's settled well after an inauspicious start, I just feel that he's not quite the man mountain folk in our support want him to be. Someone described him as a posh Zander Daiamond and that does ring a little true for me. He makes some really eye catching interventions but often they're required because he's been exposed. Losing Ando and  assuming Daniels won't get kept on, we'll need another CB.

With Murray and Big Joe going, we've little cover at RB, unless we've got Culjak ear marked for both RB and CB cover?

With two senior goal keepers on the books, I canna see one coming in without one going out.

Driver not working out was a shame, I can see McInnes wanting more width in the squad but that's hard to come by, as Wylde and Mokonakana have also shown.

It'll certainly be an interesting summer, especially with our Euro commitments starting so soon, Deek may well strike sooner rather than later, as the Shinnie and Mclean signings have already shown.

For the avoidance of doubt, I dinna think Taylor is a poor player, I think he's settled well after an inauspicious start, I just feel that he's not quite the man mountain folk in our support want him to be. Someone described him as a posh Zander Daiamond and that does ring a little true for me. He makes some really eye catching interventions but often they're required because he's been exposed. Losing Ando and  assuming Daniels won't get kept on, we'll need another CB.

With Murray and Big Joe going, we've little cover at RB, unless we've got Culjak ear marked for both RB and CB cover?

With two senior goal keepers on the books, I canna see one coming in without one going out.

Driver not working out was a shame, I can see McInnes wanting more width in the squad but that's hard to come by, as Wylde and Mokonakana have also shown.

It'll certainly be an interesting summer, especially with our Euro commitments starting so soon, Deek may well strike sooner rather than later, as the Shinnie and Mclean signings have already shown.

I think acting earlier in the summer would definitely make sense. Gives the squad longer to gel and obviously gives him more time to assess the players.  Can't remember if it was in this thread or another, but it was an interesting question to pose (re his success in the transfer window outwith Scotland).  Really hadn't thought about it before but it's not the greatest success rate. Do we have any scouts any scouts outside of Scotland anymore?

Apparently Robson is signing a new 1 year deal today.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/dons-veteran-robson-takes-pay-cut-to-stay-at-pittodrie/

DEREK McInnes today revealed veteran midfielder Barry Robson will take a pay cut for the third successive season to sign on with the Dons.

Scotland cap Robson, pictured, was the only senior player with a deal up in the summer to be offered a new contract.

It is understood Robson will put pen to paper on a one-year contract.

McInnes insisted Robson’s performances in recent months having recovered from a hip injury secured his Pittodrie future.

And he also revealed such is Robson’s passion for playing for the Dons he has took successive wage cuts.

McInnes said: “Barry’s motivation is to play for Aberdeen and it has never been important financially.

“When Barry first came here two years ago it was not for a lot of money.

“He actually earned less again last year and will earn less again next season.

“Barry has shown a level of performance over the last two to three months that made me make that decision on a deal.”

Nice to read that he just wants to play and isn't holding the club to ransom (not that I think he would anyway).

Scott Fox? Absolutely no chance. He's poorer than the two clowns we currently have.

I would agree that DM's transfer dealings are patchy and also not a fan of Taylor... Brian Irvine in a different kit, basically.

Think you are being unfair on Irvine there.

Bit of a shame on Taylor, nae Willie Miller granted, but not that bad at all, would certainly say he has been as good, if not better, than Reynolds for the most part, not including his first few games, in my opinion.

Brown, I would rate better than Langield, but not much in it, still think you can teach a guy to come off his line more, but for some reason our keepers don't do this, maybe down to coaching. Would certainly try and get a keeper in over the summer, but only if going to improve the team, nae point taking in what we have already.

I think signing players with our budget is difficult, but for me Deek has been good in the market and rectifies his mistakes fairly quickly.

Be an interesting few weeks and I am sure Deek will pull off a surprise or two to keep us dandies happy.

Reports that Joe Shaughnessy has signed a 2 year deal with St. Johnstone

Joe will do well there if he is allowed to play at Centre Half. Like Low another decent player who release is evidence of how far we have progressed as a club in last couple of years.

Joe will do well there if he is allowed to play at Centre Half. Like Low another decent player who release is evidence of how far we have progressed as a club in last couple of years.

Competent player is Joe, always thought that and was surprised we're letting him go.

Not a player but I'm hearing Leighton is gone. Not sure if his choice or the club's.

I was just about to post the same...

Jim Leighton has left his position as Goalkeeping Coach with the Club.

Jim has served the Club as both a player and goalkeeping coach over three different periods covering 27 years.

Derek McInnes commented "I would like to thank Jim for his contribution as a member of my team since I arrived at the Club".

Everyone connected with Aberdeen Football Club wishes Jim all the very best for the future.

Sounds like the club's choice to me. Wonder what's behind this? Surely an indication from DM McInnes that the goalkeeping has been a problem recently. We all knew that but we weren't sure if Deek knew it. Maybe now we have our answer. I would think Clangers' position is now untenable too. Or maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

Aye let's get the goalkeeper with no coaching experience, no coaching badges as well as limited goalkeeping ability try and bring on and improve the next generation.

Just naw

I think JL has been shifted as his goalkeeping style is a bit prehistoric now. Put it this way he was never one for coming off his line.

Clangers will likely be gone by the end of the transfer window

Obviously I have a lot of respect for Leighton as he is a club legend but I think this is the right move from Deek.

The goalkeeping has been an issue for a while and that is probably not just down to the quality of the goalkeepers themselves. It will be interesting to see who will come in a GK coach now.

Langfield for me has to go now, he has been a great servant and he fully deserves his testimonial but I personally feel the time is right for him to go.

Leighton has had an easy life , good news he is punted.  langfield will be gone as well after testimonial

This would please me greatly. Hopefully wed see quite a quick upturn of performance.  Wasn't he the one that brought in (i'll whisper it)....Bossu to the club?

As I recall there were rumours that Leighton preferred Esson to Preece back in the day although my personal preference was for the latter. However Esson is still playing at SPL level while Preece went back down to the lower leagues after he left the club. What you take of that is up to you?

Being a great goalkeeper doesn't automatically make you great at scouting others or indeed being able to coach them.

Either way I have a soft spot for Leighton and I think it is unfortunate some of the comments I've seen flying around about him on various message boards since the club made the announcement. I've even seen someone labeling him an average goalkeeper who was carried by his defenders throughout his career?!  :dunno:

Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

Leighton was an awesome goalkeeper, one of the best Scotland has ever produced.  Good luck to him in the future but it was probably for the best given that the goalkeeping position has long been an issue.

I bet the same folk slagging him off were the same clowns who turned on Miller when his director role at the club was being questioned  :wave:

Leighton was an awesome goalkeeper, one of the best Scotland has ever produced.  Good luck to him in the future but it was probably for the best given that the goalkeeping position has long been an issue.

Yup a long succession of keeprs through the doors, none of whom have improved, it was time Jim..

Derek - "I would like to thank Jim for his contribution as a member of my team since I arrived at the Club". - the lack of any warmth or mention of his coaching ability tells all you need to know from this statement.  :(