Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Currently reading Roddy Doyle - The woman who walked into doors.

Read the sequel first. Can't say I'm overly impressed by either.

Recently finished a book about the trucking industry in North America.

Got a big stack to read having been at a used book sale the other day.  8)

If ye like the Gonzo style - read Hunter S. Thomson's "Hell's Angels" too.

Found "The Great Shark Hunt" hard going - too much politics but some funny stories, for example, about the Kentucky Derby. Don't think I ever did finish reading the book though.

Yea I really liked Charles Buckowski's books and I have read almost all of them and I'm trying to stay in the down and out in America sort of books.

Try "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac

I'm nae mad keen on American books - find the tone many are written in difficult to follow. Often over descriptive.

I've tried reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig about 5 times and have never finished it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

That book looks good and also quite hard going though. Thinking about buying some John Fante books but not sure if I can be fucked. I always buy too many books and never get round to reading them.

I've read On the Road. Thought it was ok but I should probably try and read it again as it was a two or three years ago I read it, if not longer ago, and I would probably appreciate it more now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up my first book in 6 months - The Alchemist's Secret.  Very Dan Brown, in fact so much like 'The Da Vinci Code' that I'm beginning to wonder how he's not been done for plagerism.

On a side note I watched 'Angels & Demons' at the weekend.  Load of shite.  Enjoyed TDVC but remember when I read A&D that I thought it wouldn't make such a good movie.

Think they've changed the ending a bit though, which they had to do, but I'll have to go back and re-read it as I can't really remember what's different from the novel.

Sorry, I thought we were just making words up from now on:

I'm not saying that I wan't McGhee to fail. I will be delighted if he does well. It is however a bit rich for one of the main leaders of the JMG group to tell me how to behave towards the new manager after the way he made an arse of the Aberdeen support in the media.

:wave:

Picked up my first book in 6 months - The Alchemist's Secret.  Very Dan Brown, in fact so much like 'The Da Vinci Code' that I'm beginning to wonder how he's not been done for plagerism.

On a side note I watched 'Angels & Demons' at the weekend.  Load of shite.  Enjoyed TDVC but remember when I read A&D that I thought it wouldn't make such a good movie.

Think they've changed the ending a bit though, which they had to do, but I'll have to go back and re-read it as I can't really remember what's different from the novel.

Didn't several people try to sue Dan Brown for plagiarism when The Da Vinci Code first became famous.

I've never read it but a mate of mine, who reads far too many books to be considered normal, described it as formulaic, tired American pish that could have been written by anyone following a "how to write a novel" guide. I think the fact that every chapter was a set number of pages really got on his tits as well. Safe to say he didn't like it and that is probably one of the reasons I've never bothered to pick up a copy.