Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

How'd they rate with the NY based stuff and are the main characters quite similar?

(fingers crossed smilie)

I've enjoyed all the Demille books, but the John Corey ones are probably best.... really like the couldn't give a fuck abody anyone else attitiude. Have you read any of Vince Flynn or David Baldacci ones  ???

Yeah, Corey's attitude is right up my street, that and the one liners.  Worked my way through a few of them now but trying to leave some gaps between reading them so I don't run out anytime soon!  I'll no doubt read the rest of his books when I finish those.

Haven't read any Vince Flynn or David Baldacci.  Should I?

If you like The character Corey, you'll love Mitch Rapp who is the central character in Vince Flynn novels. He has a real don't give a fuck abody anyone else type of attitude. Would prob go for the Flynn ones before Baldacci ones. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Have read a fair bit since last post on this thread.

Finished all of Brookmyre's stuff, most of it excellent.

Also read 'Dishwasher' - about some guy who tries to wash dishes in all fifty states. Book_Cover.gif

Another one was about a teenage male prostitute in San Francisco - sterry_chicken.jpg

And Ron Ferguson's history of Cowdenbeath FC. Really enjoyed this one, it's more of a modern social history of the town and football's part in it.

blackblu.jpg

Currently reading 'A Song For Azalea' - a memoir of a child growing up in 1940s China.

ProductImage.aspx?lang=en&width=140&isbn=0143017705&cat=books&quality=85

I've enjoyed all the Demille books, but the John Corey ones are probably best.... really like the couldn't give a fuck abody anyone else attitiude. Have you read any of Vince Flynn or David Baldacci ones  ???

I'm half way through The Lion's Game now and so far I'm a little disappointed.  It's quite a thick book (by Demille's standard) although it's not taking me long to get through it as his books are easy to digest.  But the baddie is so good at what he does that the good guys just haven't got any leads to go on and I'm sort of feeling as bored as they are, waiting around for him to slip up so they can actually start tracking him down!  That said, the start of the book was gripping and quite freaky/scary to think about.

It's really going to have to pick up pace soon as it's got quite a lot to fit in if they're going to catch this guy in what's left of the book.  So far the main guy Corey, who is a great character, has just been twiddling his thumbs and sitting in meetings.

Although I sort of want to read the Koran now.  It sounds nuts!  :-\

Well the quote I read was along the lines of 'Take neither a Jew nor Christian as a friend, this way it will be easier when your time comes to slay them'.

I was being serious 'byraway', worth a read even if you're not religious.  Religion is a lot of pish.  :thumbsup:

Remember there was a program on the telly a year or two back where some guy explained what certain passages of the Bible/Koran really meant.  Pretty interesting from a "that's f*cking nuts" sort of way.