Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Anyone get any paperbacks for Xmas that they can recommend ?

Pittodrie Idols by Paul Smith is quite a good read, did drop hints about the Willie Miller book available in the club shop but santa chose not to listen to that comment....

Am also reading Ian Rankin's new one (not Rebus!!) The Complaints, but that's in hardback not paperback so does that get disallowed??

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up "Played in Glasgow" yesterday: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Played-Glasgow-Charting-Heritage-Britain/dp/0954744551/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272015835&sr=8-1

From what I have read so far I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the development of organised sport from the 19th Century to modern day in Scotland, not just Glasgow, after all much of Scottish sporting history, like it or not, is Glasgow sporting history.

Looks at a range of sports (football, golf, swimming, bowls, ice sports and cricket among others) their development, and how they were shaped by and helped shape the city.  Edited by Simon Inglis who has written many books of Football Stadia with loads of fascinating stories and some excellent historical and contemporary photos of sport in Glasgow.

Bought it today but The Stand is taking a bit too much time to start it. Have 4 books on the go just now, The Stand, new Stuart McBride, Donnie Brasco and a Peter James.

Have read both the new Mark Billingham and Stuart McBride ones in last couple of weeks.

Both of them were really good, with McBride back on form after the disappointment of the last one of his I read.

Just about finished Mark Beaumont - The Man Who Cycled The World. Didn't watch the prog on BBC but this has been a fantastic read. A real inspirational story..... in fact think I might take the bike to the shop for my paper instead of jumping in the car ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading; Enemy Number One: The Secrets of the UK's Most Feared Professional Punter, pretty good so far.

Not long finished Marco Pierre Whites autobiography Devil in the kitchen, brilliant read, his upbringing is the opposite of what you'd imagine and his tales of his early days working his way up are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida?

Nah, I think Thailand is the place for BiGal, great this time of year.

Have recently read Brookmyre's latest effort, not bad. Also tried 'Strip the Willow' by John Aberdein, author of 'Amande's Bed', which was set in 1950s Aberdeen, but couldn't get into it. Currently reading 'Berlin Poplars' by Anne Ragde.

Read it and the second one in the triology sometime back (sure I mention it somewhere on here actually ).

Got the third one, but saved it for first few days of holiday  ;)

A lovely poster on here got me the second and third ones but I am spacing them out

Dominican Republic this year

Its pretty good.

The only bad thig is the airport is in a really dodgy area, and the first thing you see when you arrive is miles and miles of shanty towns.

I'm currently reading "As used on the Famous Nelson Mandela" by Mark Thomas - it's pretty good, but not exactly good light reading for holidays.

• 2 months later...

A lovely poster on here got me the second and third ones but I am spacing them out

You finished them yet ?

I read the last one on holiday, felt it was a bit padded out and slow, but pace picked up towards the end and all the whole triology came together pretty well.

Won't spoil it for you by disclosing the ending if you haven't got around to it yet  ;)