Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Currently reading 'Loonyology' by Charles Bronson (nutter widely known as 'Britain's most dangerous prisoner')

Bit of a weird book. Jumps all over the place as he seems to recall stories from his 34 years in Prison completely at random. Thought he would have more intersting stories than 'beating up narks' and fighting against the system etc etc

Thinks himself to be a bit of a comedian, and beleives that he is very intelligent by throwing in random facts throughout. I'm nearly finished and it's got a bit tedious. Guy is obsessed with becoming a celebrity.

Away on holiday on Wed, and just started my holiday read yesterday.

"Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts described by the Daily Telegragh as a "literay masterpiece" and early impressions are they're not wrong.

Tells the story of a convicted Australian armed robber and heroin addicts escape to India, where he lived in a Bombay slum. where he established a free health clinic and joined the Mafia, working as a money launderer, forger and street solidier. He found time to learn Hindi & Marathi, act in Bollywood and fought with the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan. Book runs to over 900 pages and ought to keep me entertained lying in the sun.

Just finished "The Ice Man" by Philip Carlo, a biography of Richard Kuklinski a mafia hitman and all round serial killer.

A good read but one of his others, about a similar kind of dude, Tommy Pitera was very disappointing.

Just started "The Brother-hoods" by Guy Lawson and William Oldham about 2 polis who were mafia hitmen.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love The Smiths.

I read Lustrum from the ever excellent Robert Harris. His stories of Roman politics are wonderful.

I'm on to Shout by Philip Norman. Updated version. Magic so far.

Is that a new een? Recently read The Ghost and was quite impressed. Nae sure which one of his to try next, as he seems to have a vast number of novels on a similar theme.

Yep, I've loved al lhis books.

He had an earler one about Cicero called Imperium. These only two which envoke the same story/people although some have similar settings in time.

Start at the start with him,

- Fatherland

- Enigma

- Archangel

- Pompeii

- Ipmerium

- The Ghost

- Lustrum

Cheers min  :thumbsup:

Is that a new een? Recently read The Ghost and was quite impressed. Nae sure which one of his to try next, as he seems to have a vast number of novels on a similar theme.

Fatherland and Imperium are his best IMO. Think I read that Lustrum is the second book in his Cicero trilogy?? I thought Ghost was probably his weakest effort so if you enjoyed that you'll love the rest of his books.

Just finished the Frankie Boyle autobiography, quite enjoyable post Christmas fayre with a few laugh out loud bits. Comes across as a very honest and intelligent guy, which I don't suppose is all that surprising.

Just started Sleepy Head by Mark Billingham.