Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Aberdeen Manager

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fairly unexciting appointment. Got St Johnstone promoted and went on to consolidate them as a middle of the table team, one which ain't going to be challenging up at the top and one which isn't going to be relegated. No money to pay and I'm sure he probably 'ticked all the boxes of being young and an ambitious manager' will be the party line by Milne. Again, I'll back McInnes all the way because he has got some solid foundations and now he can assess the team before the end of the season, but it's hardly one to get the pulses racing.

In my view, McInnes is only an "unexciting appointment" in considering his tenure at Bristol City a failure - the mitigating circumstances there obviously being that he had to slash the wage bill whilst keep them challenging in the Championship.  I think we have got to cut him that slack, and from what I recall, even the Bristol City chairman himself acknowledged that it was an incredibly difficult job to do in what is arguably the most competitive league in the world.

I don't believe for a second that any professional football club manager takes any notice of what fans say on messageboards.  A handful of regular posters spouting nonsense is hardly representative of a regular hardcore of 7,000 attendees on any given Saturday.  Aye, we're a dour bunch in the NE, but it's pandering to negativity to suggest that anyone would allow themselves to be put off by such nonsense.

I don't understand how we define "exciting" when it comes to a managerial appointment in the middle of the worst financial crisis to hit Scottish football, exacerbated by the hundreds of thousands if not millions of pounds Stewart Milne has spunked away on sacking coaching staff.  Maybe a better word would be "imaginative", and then I'd understand it - I'd have liked a foreign, or modern-minded coach.  But the fact we've got McInnes, who I would've been delighted to have taken from St Johnstone a couple of years ago, for nothing, represents brilliant business in my opinion.  A young coach, not long retired from the game himself, who will have some modern ideas on how to coach and man-manage young players, I firmly believe his star will rise and if that happens while he is with us, then it's a win-win.

A fairly unexciting appointment. Got St Johnstone promoted and went on to consolidate them as a middle of the table team, one which ain't going to be challenging up at the top and one which isn't going to be relegated. No money to pay and I'm sure he probably 'ticked all the boxes of being young and an ambitious manager' will be the party line by Milne. Again, I'll back McInnes all the way because he has got some solid foundations and now he can assess the team before the end of the season, but it's hardly one to get the pulses racing.

I have to ask again, what kind of manager is it, or who is it, that would?

I simply have no idea what else the club could do. We've tried a manager characterised as fulfilling his destiny, as inspirational.

He's a good appointment. Lets see what he can do.

• 2 weeks later...

A win today and McInnes would have 5 games with a bit of a buzz about the club and a chance for the new manager bounce to take us into Europe.

The spineless defeat means a demotivated dressing room, a few players probably thinking about a summer holiday then new employer, and a tough start for McInnes to win over the horrible cunts who already have it out for him.

Would be astonished if we finish above 11th now. achieving what we budget for = success. Congratulations Mr Milne.

This result is fitting in that it characterises the Brown reign. Rarely won a battle during his tenure, especially a game we've HAD to win, rarely score and even when a gilt-edged opportunity such as Killie failing to win their two home games against bottom-3 opposition we still go down with a whimper.

If our manager was anyone other than Mr Respectable (draw your own conclusions to if that is merited), he would've been hounded out months ago. His legacy is a soft, non-scoring, ageing, profligate and unbalanced squad. He has not improved Aberdeen FC at all. He has been a monumental catastrophe for Aberdeen FC because he has not improved upon the legacy left by McGhee.

Epitaph of the respectfully forgettable Craig Brown: Out with a whimper.

This result is fitting in that it characterises the Brown reign. Rarely won a battle during his tenure, especially a game we've HAD to win, rarely score and even when a gilt-edged opportunity such as Killie failing to win their two home games against bottom-3 opposition we still go down with a whimper.

If our manager was anyone other than Mr Respectable (draw your own conclusions to if that is merited), he would've been hounded out months ago. His legacy is a soft, non-scoring, ageing, profligate and unbalanced squad. He has not improved Aberdeen FC at all. He has been a monumental catastrophe for Aberdeen FC because he has not improved upon the legacy left by McGhee.

Epitaph of the respectfully forgettable Craig Brown: Out with a whimper.

Agree with all that apart from the not improved us. I think he's improved the squad a lot, he just didn't have it about him to get the best out of them, so the results have been undeniably gash. Had he been hounded out months ago I'm not sure who we'd have replaced him with. Maybe McInnes would've wanted to take the job in January with no break between jobs but who knows.

In spite of everything, I'm vaguely positive that if McInnes can hold onto whichever player he wants to and then add a couple where necessary, then next season we'll achieve at least what we should have this year. For the long term it may even turn out that this last year or two has seen our board of chancers, shysters and jokers blindly stumble onto the right path after all, with the not-quite-dead-yet body of AFC dragged along behind them.

If there's an exodus of players who are worth keeping on the other hand then all the improvement as I see it has been utterly ephemeral and pointless. In which case I promise to shut up.

• 2 months later...

interesting that crowds have actually increased in the last 2 seasons.

I certainly get the feeling we're trying to get the foundations laid properly in the team instead of charging ahead on an unsustainable basis. Also glad to have a manager who has no question marks over him in terms of how long he wants to be there before moving on/retiring.