Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Aberdeen Manager

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're holding ourselves back if we persist with this nonsence about being a big club. We *should* be a big club but we aren't.

As much as we have a dim and distant history of success and even a comparitively decent wage budget for the SPL we are a car crash of a club currently. The shite our managers have to deal with from fans is enough to put off anyone with ambition and common sense. I understand we are long overdue a trophy, but anyone not getting instant glory is lambasted (some not undeservedly of course). And even more worryingly we demand our managers are the right *type* of person. That's a hideous and ironically hunnish attitude. Large sections seem to demand our managers fit a mould that frankly doesn't even exist.

Edit - that's not to say I'm happy with our recent and potential managerial appointments, but I fundamentally disagree with the notion we can currently attract anyone of significant calibre. That said however, if McInnes knocks back the job after getting wind of the venom on afc chat that'll only make the morons more vocal by giving them undue influence. So I'd say the least worst option is welcome the guy aboard and get on with sorting out the poisonous culture at the club.

One thought. Did anyone at the time think Turnbull was an "inspiring" choice?

Or Ferguson?

Gie the man a chance, if he's ours, he's OURS!

Spot on MBT. some sections of our support will crucify any new manager before he even gets to the city.  :-[

Pretty pleased with this appointment, I liked him at St J & thought he was in for a big future. Didn't work out at Bristol but it'll perhaps make him hungrier to succeed. No expectations between now & end of season where he can just set about task of working out what is dead-weight. Got a good feeling about this one, I think he's one of the most promising young Scottish managers going.

Welcome aboard Del-Boy!

Deal is done if you believe what is printed in the P&J.

Await meltdown on the Hat :-*

Derek McInnes will today be appointed Aberdeen manager on a two-year contract but is not expected to be in charge of the team for Saturday’s SPL home game against Hearts.

The 41-year-old former St Johnstone manager has been out of work since his sacking by English Championship club Bristol City in January. He met Aberdeen directors, including current manager Craig Brown, last week and yesterday agreed terms to take charge at Pittodrie along with his long-time assistant Tony Docherty.

For the full story, pick up a copy of today’s Press and Journal or read our digital edition now

Genuinely surprised anyone still visits AFC Chat.

As for McInnes, I think I'd have preferred Butcher, Black or Adams but he'll certainly get my backing and I hope all other fans get behind him.

Thank god we didn't have internet forums when Fergie got announced!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21911117

Derek McInnes says he will target silverware after being appointed as Aberdeen's new manager.

The 41-year-old, who was sacked as Bristol City boss in January, and his assistant Tony Docherty will take up their roles in two weeks' time after agreeing deals until 2015.

McInnes will succeed Craig Brown, who was planning retirement in the summer.

Continue reading the main story   

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be given the opportunity to manage a club of the stature of Aberdeen," said McInnes.

Brown, 72, had planned to vacate the dug-out at the end of the season but said he would step aside earlier if the Dons could find an available replacement.

The new management team will take charge of the first team following the Scottish Premier League split in two weeks' time.

After moving from St Johnstone player to manager, McInnes led the Saints to First Division title success and promotion to the Scottish Premier League.

He joined Bristol City in 2011 and kept them in the Championship at the end of last season.

However, a run of poor results led to the former Rangers, Toulouse and West Brom midfielder being sacked in January.

McInnes said he was determined to bring success to the club.

"Having been given an outline of the club's vision of the future I can clearly see the ambition here," he added.

"And I can assure, fans, players, sponsors and everyone associated with Aberdeen Football Club that I will do everything within my power to build a team that will entertain the fans and, more importantly, bring long-awaited success back to this great club."

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne said he was delighted with the club's managerial appointment.

"When Craig stepped down, Derek was at the forefront of our thoughts," he said. "It was important to appoint him as quickly as possible before the start of next season to allow them to have a look at the squad.

"Our board had a clear vision of the type of person we needed to drive change going forward and, having reviewed and worked through all of the available options in detail, the consensus was very much that they ticked all of the right boxes for us."

The pair have signed deals until 2015 with the option of a rolling contract thereafter.

Not my first choice personally (would have liked Mixu) but think he is a decent appointment. He did well at St J and maybe made wrong move going to Bristol when he did. Still a young manager and one who is clearly ambitious and not 70 and looking for a pension top up. If he is backed in correct manor by the board I am hopeful this will be a mutually beneficial appointment.

Not my first choice personally (would have liked Mixu) but think he is a decent appointment. He did well at St J and maybe made wrong move going to Bristol when he did. Still a young manager and one who is clearly ambitious and not 70 and looking for a pension top up. If he is backed in correct manor by the board I am hopeful this will be a mutually beneficial appointment.

if that's in reference to CB I think that's very harsh

Brown had to be persuaded to take the job by Milne, not the actions of a man just out for a quick buck

He went back to Well asked for more money from them and then we offered more so he came to us.

Anyway, should you not be in a Serbian pub/morgue by now?

In The Pub just up from ground. £1.20 a pint of Lav which is drinkable. Serbs have not bothered us at all. Train guard was horrified at suggestion of trouble he said drinking contest more likely.