Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Aberdeen Manager

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Probably doesn't have any relevance but McInnes was at Rugby Park when we drew 1-1 a few weeks ago.

Ha! I remember pooping my pants for similar reasons just a couple of years ago...

Someone on Mad claiming John Collins will be our next manager.

Logical enough, as I said yesterday Tommy Craig was at the game on Tuesday, so there's a not-completely-unbelievable tenuous link there...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that said, I’ve got no idea who I actually want and fear the reality is that no matter who it is, we’ll be having this same discussion in 2 years time.

Sadly, you're probably correct on that one.  Interesting to see Collins' name getting mentioned a lot more now.  As i've said, i'd be happy with him, and Bobby makes a good point. I hadn't considered his past with CB.

Just please don't let it be Latrine.

Levein a great manager at club level?  Not sure that I agree with that.  At the time of him being touted for the Scotland job, I told anyone that would listen that his Dundee Utd team did not once finish above Jimmy Calderwood's Aberdeen.  That being said, I do think that he has to be seriously considered.

Steve Kean? Again, I wouldn't say his record with Blackburn was awful.  Yes they were relegated but their squad was stinking.  They were second in the Championship when he was sacked.  Look at them now.  But, not sure I want him.  I think alot of the problems there were related to what was going on inside the club and his relationship with Jerome Anderson.

Collins I know has got some great ideas.  If he has learned from his early mistakes at Hibs, as I'm sure he probably will have - such as sitting the first team down, stripping himself to the waist and explaining that they should aspire to have a body like his (true story) - then perhaps he should be considered.

I think if we go for Derek Adams, we'll need to take his old man back as well, as I reckon he could well be the brains of that operation.

My friend's son was in the dressing room that day  :o

I'm actually dreading the announcement about our next manager. Want so much to feel excited about the dons again but if it was Levein I would want to cry

Heard that Hartley was going to be in interim charge until till the end of the season with an announcement just before the Hertz game for added crowd effect. No idea if there's any truth in that though, but my lower league sources are generally pretty decent.

Your decent lower league "sources" being Aberdeen Mad, as of last night???

Holy FUCK! I've all but given up. Regurgitating other forums, especially shite I've managed to stumble upon, in my 20 minutes a week on AFC forums, is an actual STEWART MILNE level of LOW.

Imagine, a lower league manager who knows how a cheque book works.

I hope this isn't a serious suggestion?

One for the "Managers in England" thread.

Your decent lower league "sources" being Aberdeen Mad, as of last night???

Holy FUCK! I've all but given up. Regurgitating other forums, especially shite I've managed to stumble upon, in my 20 minutes a week on AFC forums, is an actual STEWART MILNE level of LOW.

Imagine, a lower league manager who knows how a cheque book works.

I hope this isn't a serious suggestion?

One for the "Managers in England" thread.

+1

your input to this shartfest is welcomed.

If it came down to a straight choice between Adams and ...(wait for it...) Terry Butcher, who would you all prefer?

My gut instinct is to go for Butcher, as suggested by Joey Harper in the EE, despite him clearly being an unpopular fucker amongst the fans.

He's more experienced than Adams, clearly has an eye for a player, knows the Scottish game, gets his teams punching above their weight, speaks well to the media, and has an obvious passion / commitment for whatever he's working on.  I know all about his hun history etc, I am of that generation, but I think I could tolerate him for a couple of seasons to see where it takes us.

Thoughts?

I thought the very same KGB, but felt like letting the chaps on the forum what cam out of a Div 3 Board Meeting on Monday. None of whom I would imagine know what either this forum or Aberdeen Mad is.

Lot's of stuff get festooned about, but like you say, stranger things have happened and it wouldn't surprise me one little bit  ::)

Stranger things have happened I suppose  :-\

If wiggie had any ambition (which he doesn't), but if he did, I'd go for Darren Ferguson, bringing Eoin Jess with him as assistant. He has a very good record of spotting talented non league players (all we can afford) and extracting their potential. He and Jess seem to share the same football philosophy at Peterborough, playing the 'right' way. I also think Ferguson would have no qualms about turfing out the dead wood from the squad, like his old man, not a great respecter of reputations. But that's never going to happen, so from the realistic options I'd go for Stark or Collins.

If wiggie had any ambition (which he doesn't), but if he did, I'd go for Darren Ferguson, bringing Eoin Jess with him as assistant. He has a very good record of spotting talented non league players (all we can afford) and extracting their potential. He and Jess seem to share the same football philosophy at Peterborough, playing the 'right' way. I also think Ferguson would have no qualms about turfing out the dead wood from the squad, like his old man, not a great respecter of reputations. But that's never going to happen, so from the realistic options I'd go for Stark or Collins.

DF is in the same boat as McLeish. Unlikely to join us because they'll be used to earning much more in the English lower leagues.

Welcome by the way.  :thumbsup:

DF is in the same boat as McLeish. Unlikely to join us because they'll be used to earning much more in the English lower leagues.

Welcome by the way.  :thumbsup:

Agreed, as much as i'd like to see either DF or McLeish, the SPL is far below them now (sadly). Like Ingolfssonorwinnie? I've gone for Collins too, I think he'll shake the team up one way or another and won't have any qualms about getting rid of the coasters.  We need someone with a completely different philosophy and as much as I like what I see at County, all I hear is that it's about the Adams snr and not jnr.

Billy McKinlay and Iain Dowie are said to be the frontrunners to take control of Aberdeen

FULHAM coach Billy McKinlay has emerged as a shock contender for the Aberdeen job.

McKinlay is understood to be among the contenders for the post which will become vacant when Craig Brown quits this summer.

Ironically, Brown is likely to back a move for the 43-year-old, below.

He took McKinlay to the 1998 World Cup as a player and he faced Brazil in the Paris opener under him — and Brown, who’ll have a say in his successor’s identity, is an admirer of his coaching talents.

The highly-rated former Dundee United midfielder was targeted for a move to Blackburn as manager at the start of the season — but Fulham rebuffed the Championship side’s move.

McKinlay has been at Fulham since retiring there in 2004.

He has worked his way up from youth coach to first-team coach and was in temporary charge of the side when boss Martin Jol was ill last year.

McKinlay is settled at Craven Cottage but has ambitions to boss and could be tempted by the prospect of a Pittodrie call.

If Iain Dowie is appointed manager I will never set foot in Pittodrie again, EVER. I'm going to assume it's his agent linking him rather than anything from us.

Was McKinlay not the player who the P&J unveiled as signing for us (picture on the back page with scarf in the SS) before he fucked off elsewhere.

That was Jim McInally.

Oh aye! Nearly all the same letters in their names. I knew it was someone whose suname was the same as another Scottish international of a similar time. 18 years ago!

But some bookies have apparently stopped taking bets on McInnes being our next boss.

I'd be happy with McInnes, should have had him instead of Magoo

But some bookies have apparently stopped taking bets on McInnes being our next boss.

Bookies closing markets on these things is no sign of a done deal. Next manager markets are highly exploitable to betting rings so I wouldn’t read too much into that but I do think he’ll be on the shortlist (if there is one) due to the fact there is no compensation to be paid.

“Underwhelmed” would begin to describe my reaction should this be true, however