Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Aberdeen Manager

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wot no Jim Jeffries!?

Here's a not altogether unrealistic name from left-field:

Antoine Kombouare

I'm liking the idea of a foreign manager, or a manager who has not necessarily played at the top level, or someone who has managed in an unfashionable but forward-thinking set-up.

What about Steve Nicol?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS...consider yourself slated.

Few months of that and you'd be screaming for Broon to get the job back and play one up front at home ;)

regardless of what happened with Scotland I'll always respect Levein as a manager, especially for this I might add

I would have taken him before the Scotland debacle tbh be honest. But I now don't want him anywhere near oor club. He plays fucking horrible football.

I also think it will be Hartley. Not especially keen on him like. Nor Deek Adams or McInnes.

We should think outside the box and go managerless for a while and let the players manage themselves.  :doh:

People forget because of results that at times Scotland played some quite nice stuff under Levein, The friendly against Australia not so long ago we looked really positive and played them off the park.  I also remember Utd playing good football under him and if you look at who he signed at Utd and Hertz he clearly also has an eye for a player.  I genuinely think he would be a good appointment but I would much rather have Adams.

Aye that interview is brilliant. I respect Levein for that, the only manager to really come oot and give it tits to something so plainly obvious for years. And as you say, he clearly has an eye for a player (United - Conway, Swanson, Bauben, Gomis, Daly etc). Plus he also overhauled United's youth system and was a member on their board.

However, he clearly lost the plot with Scotland. Wouldn't be a very sensible appointment and would drive away more fans IMO.

None of the names on that bookies list is exciting me. I'm not on the Derek Adams bandwagon and certainly agree that Hartely wouldn't even be mentioned had he not played for us.

What's folks thought on John Collins? Won a cup for the Hibees but soon there were rumours of a player backlash against him. I would have thought he would be quite hard on the players (not a bad thing) and maybe bring something different to the job. Fresh ideas, new methods and all that jazz.

Collins just doesn't sit right with me at all, can't really explain it but don't fancy him.  When we got rid of JC I wanted Black for the job, what are peoples thoughts on him?  I've said before I don't want another Gothenburger in charge but if it was Black?  I dunno I might be able to overlook it, always been impressed by him in interviews and his brief managerial stints

My initial reaction today when someone suggested Levein, was anger. Thinking about it now though I don't I would be too upset. The whole Scotland thing has made me hate him but before all of that I thought he was a great manager at club level. Might be worth the risk.

Only other one from that list that i'd be ok with is Collins.

Give Stavrum a call  :thumbsup:

Needs to be someone from outwith Scottish football if we want to get away from the SPL mentality of "play for a draw hope we get the odd win"

A young ambitious manager hoping to make a name for himself rather than someone who just wants to play safe to keep their current job for as long as possible.

Someone with little to no knowledge of our current squad so the players are judged on ability rather than reputation (past or present). Get the new manager in ASAP to clear out the shite this summer rather than having to put up with them for the start of next season.

None of these things will happen with Brown still involved.

Needs to be someone from outwith Scottish football if we want to get away from the SPL mentality of "play for a draw hope we get the odd win"

A young ambitious manager hoping to make a name for himself rather than someone who just wants to play safe to keep their current job for as long as possible.

Someone with little to no knowledge of our current squad so the players are judged on ability rather than reputation (past or present). Get the new manager in ASAP to clear out the shite this summer rather than having to put up with them for the start of next season.

None of these things will happen with Brown still involved.

Worth keeping in mind we'd not have got mcginn without broon. As much as his tactics have cost us, that asset of being able to sell a project to potential players did go some way to compensating. That's why i've wanted to see him move upstairs all along with a more effective coach in place.

I do believe broon when he says he isn't going to interfere, but i also suspect we're going to be getting a relatively inexperienced coach in with broon there for mentoring if needed. I can't see any reason to believe this would transfer itself to the same negative tactics that broon has definitely been guilty of for as long as i can remember. The new guy could be negative himself of course.

Can't see any positives in collins whatsoever. Was doing well at hibs but spectacularly imploded when he thought the fulham job was opening up for him. Prize walloper in my book.

Levein? Fuck that.  Do you not remember his style of football at Hertz? Lump the ball up to de Vries. If that isn’t working, stick Kevin McKenna up front and lump it up to him.  I’ve always said that considering how cultured a centre half Levein was as a player, it is an utter disgrace how he sets his teams up and he’s done nothing to change my mind on that.

I’m not convinced about Adams; not saying he’s a poor manager, I’ve just never taken to the guy.

I’d like to see Jocky Scott involved more with the new man, either as an assistant or co-manager.  Paatelainen would be an interesting appointment. I also have a sneaky suspicion John Collins is going to have a good chance of it with Brown still involved.

All that said, I’ve got no idea who I actually want and fear the reality is that no matter who it is, we’ll be having this same discussion in 2 years time.

Not on the list, but saw this somewhere else...Barry Smith ???

Just NO...........

What about Steve Kean ?

Awful record as manager at Blackburn, but was he thrown in the deep end too soon. Highly thought of as a coach, and with an experienced mentor (Broon) could he make it ? Is he too high risk ? Would he be remotely interested ?

I thought Steve Kean handled himself with nothing but class whilst getting shat on by the fans and the board at Blackburn.

Totally agree, some of the personal stuff directed towards him was completely over the top. Thought he kept his calm and dignity extremely well.

Levein a great manager at club level?  Not sure that I agree with that.  At the time of him being touted for the Scotland job, I told anyone that would listen that his Dundee Utd team did not once finish above Jimmy Calderwood's Aberdeen.  That being said, I do think that he has to be seriously considered.

Steve Kean? Again, I wouldn't say his record with Blackburn was awful.  Yes they were relegated but their squad was stinking.  They were second in the Championship when he was sacked.  Look at them now.  But, not sure I want him.  I think alot of the problems there were related to what was going on inside the club and his relationship with Jerome Anderson.

Collins I know has got some great ideas.  If he has learned from his early mistakes at Hibs, as I'm sure he probably will have - such as sitting the first team down, stripping himself to the waist and explaining that they should aspire to have a body like his (true story) - then perhaps he should be considered.

I think if we go for Derek Adams, we'll need to take his old man back as well, as I reckon he could well be the brains of that operation.

I suspect, like BTR, that the Adams family are what is driving County, rather than Deek alone.

You just have to hope the board have the means to both get all the necessary info on all the candidates and make the right decision.

I reckon Milne played a blinder getting Brown and he's done a job, next man hopefully moves things on again.