Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next Aberdeen Manager

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If it came down to a straight choice between Adams and ...(wait for it...) Terry Butcher, who would you all prefer?

My gut instinct is to go for Butcher, as suggested by Joey Harper in the EE, despite him clearly being an unpopular fucker amongst the fans.

He's more experienced than Adams, clearly has an eye for a player, knows the Scottish game, gets his teams punching above their weight, speaks well to the media, and has an obvious passion / commitment for whatever he's working on.  I know all about his hun history etc, I am of that generation, but I think I could tolerate him for a couple of seasons to see where it takes us.

Thoughts?

Yes. This. I was at the County v Caley game last weekend due to being up their for a piss up anyway. The way Adams conducted himself and the way Butcher conducted himself was night and day. Adams was shouting to the crowd, the police getting involved etc. And the shite he did at the end with Butcher where he barely shook hands, said something and stormed doon the tunnel was absolutely pathetic. Butcher was livid and had to be held back from storming after him. It was like a spoilt bairn. Butcher then shook every single County players hand and celebrated with the crowd.

Adams really did conduct himself in a terrible manner and without his two sidekicks Neale Cooper (whom I got a picture with later on in The Den) and his other assistant (can't mind), I got the impression he was a bit lost. He didn't seem to be able to even shout at his players without speaking to them first, instead standing there with his hands in his pockets like a fud!

It should be said though that I'm not advocating Butcher for the job, just not impressed from what I see of Adams.

Collins for me.

McInnes, meh. As Bobby says, underwhelmed is how I would describe my feeling on him.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ Ross County have rejected an approach by Aberdeen to speak to Derek Adams about their managerial vacancy.

The Dons have begun the search for Craig Brown's successor, with the 72-year-old retiring from management in the summer.

County chairman Roy McGregor told BBC Scotland they had rejected Aberdeen's approach.

Aberdeen have drawn up a list of about 12 candidates to take up the managerial reins at Pittodrie.

Adams has impressed in County's debut season in the SPL, guiding the Highland outfit to fourth place in the table.

Responding to Aberdeen's interest, McGregor told BBC Scotland "it's dead" and would not welcome any further approach.

Earlier this month, the County chairman said they were keen to extend Adams's contract.

"I'm 99% sure that he'll be here next season. He's got another year on his contract and has an extension on the table," the chairman said at the time.

"It'll be down to whether Ross County are as ambitious as he is and that the board here are willing to back him in what he's trying to do with the club. I'm sure they will."

Brown, who will take up a seat on the Aberdeen board as a non-executive director in the summer, will have a say in appointing his successor. /quote]

Having looked on AFCHAT for the first time in months, I'd like to change my opinion on McInnes from being "happy with" to "we must sign at all costs".

If thay numpties don't want him to that extent, if he does get appointed we're on for league and cup double, before winning the Europa league in his second season. NAILED ON.

Sadly confirms that appointing someone with any sort of track record (let alone a good one) was never realistic.

Would love to see this work. Genuinely not sure i can be arsed going to anymore home games though if afc-chat is a fair reflection of the sentiment. The anti-glasgow bigotry is a joke. Pathetic.

Ok, at first glance not the most inspired appointment, but if it is McInnes, then welcome aboard. If you turn out to be half as succesful as a.n.other ex Glasgow Rangers (deceased) player that managed us, then you'll do for me.

Some of the comments I've read elsewhere just defy belief, frankly you couldn't make it up. On The Hat there has been certain members campaigning to get shot of Broon virtually all season. They have their wish granted and now disapprove of his replacement. Really should be careful what you wished for lads ::)

The anti-glasgow bigotry is a joke. Pathetic.

It's embarrassing, and I'm from the North East.

Re McInnes, totally underwhelmed but I think we've got to give him a fair crack of the whip.  We've got some decent players, maybe his fresh input will get some more from them?  Also there shouldn't be any bitterness / infighting because the changeover has been amicable.  Onwards and upwards.

Anyone know who his assistant will be?

It's embarrassing, and I'm from the North East.

Re McInnes, totally underwhelmed but I think we've got to give him a fair crack of the whip.  We've got some decent players, maybe his fresh input will get some more from them?  Also there shouldn't be any bitterness / infighting because the changeover has been amicable.  Onwards and upwards.

Anyone know who his assistant will be?

Tony Docherty

I do wonder if we'd have gone for him had he still been employed elsewhere. 

It smacks of being the cheap option and that bothers me. I don't care who he played for, but I worry about his ability to do the job here. Good luck to the guy but it's an uninspiring choice and for his sake in particular I hope we get off to a fast start.

Don't think I've ever been so under whelmed about one of our managerial appointments as I am right now.

Has to be more inspirational than Broon? He is young manager which I wanted. His St Johnstone record is hard to compare as a lot of it was in the first division before he got them promoted but the only full season in the SPL he finished ahead of us with a pittance of a budget.

I can understand where you're coming from bobby, but I also think it reflects the general apathy towards the club at the moment. We were never going to get an inspiring managerial appointment, as much as we'd all hoped we would. I think this appointment (providing he doesnt doesn't foster back) is certainly better than latrine and the majority of other names that were mooted about. he definitely has my support.

If folk on the hat hate him, he's an instant hit with me. Arseholes.

I think it's a look to the youngsters we have.

IIRC he brought a lot of decent young players through at StJ that stayed beyond their first senior contract? Maybe that might be a good thing considering our recent heamorraging(sp) of youngsters. Also IIRC again, was he not good at spotting bargains from lower leagues/abroad and making them fit his team, sell them for a profit, then they get found out as shite?

Maybe he will fit the bill?

Me, I'm still a bit "meh" on this too, but we could have done a fuck of a lot worse.

but I also think it reflects the general apathy towards the club at the moment. We were never going to get an inspiring managerial appointment, as much as we'd all hoped we would.

Why not? We're still a big job relatively speaking.

The fact we even think of saying "well it's better than levein" tells you how fucking uninspiring

this is. I've been to 6/7 matches since new year and seen us score 3 goals.  I'm fed up.  Fed up with the players, management and board. The appointment of McInnes has not relieved any of those concerns.

Are we though? I think its time for us to face facts. We have done nothing of merit (trophy-wise) for decades. We've not challenged the old firm even when there is only one of them  or even reached a final since the turn of the century. I don't think it is a big job anymore. The problems clearly lie higher in the club, but until there is a serious momentum shift, I can't see anything changing. My apathy levels are clearly quite high, but again I think in the grand scheme of things, he is potentially a good appointment. I liked what I saw when he was at Perth, and hopefully he'll be able to get something out of the current squad and utilize the youngsters better.

As I said previously, I can totally understand your frustrations, personally, I wanted Collins.

Are we though? I think its time for us to face facts. We have done nothing of merit (trophy-wise) for decades. We've not challenged the old firm even when there is only one of them  or even reached a final since the turn of the century. I don't think it is a big job anymore. The problems clearly lie higher in the club, but until there is a serious momentum shift, I can't see anything changing. My apathy levels are clearly quite high, but again I think in the grand scheme of things, he is potentially a good appointment. I liked what I saw when he was at Perth, and hopefully he'll be able to get something out of the current squad and utilize the youngsters better.

As I said previously, I can totally understand your frustrations, personally, I wanted Collins.

Put simply, McInnes wouldn't be here if we weren't. He's just been in the championship. Does well at AFC and he'll be back there pronto.

Put simply, McInnes wouldn't be here if we weren't. He's just been in the championship. Does well at AFC and he'll be back there pronto.

I'm comfortable with that and its been a reality for some time with players and managers alike.

I really would love to know what the inspirational choice would have been.

I like the appointment.

And my fucking god we have a lot of idiots amongst our support.

I'm comfortable with that and its been a reality for some time with players and managers alike.

I really would love to know what the inspirational choice would have been.

I like the appointment.

And my fucking god we have a lot of idiots amongst our support.

Im also comfortable with that. Just the way it is these days.

As I've said before, I really didn't know who I wanted as the list of names was generally pretty uninspiring to me. But good luck to the guy, I hope he's a success.

Seriously all of you that are bitching and whining about what an uninspiring appointment McInnes is .....GET OVER IT and get behind the club that you all claim to support. I'm as frustrated at how things have been as the next person but I will support AFC through thick and thin. As a club, we have a hell of a lot to prove if we want to be considered a big club in the current climate. At the moment we're simply clinging to the label of what we once were. We can get that back to some extent, but we're going to need to go right back to basics.

So if the rumours are true... Welcome Derek McInnes. COYR