Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Buying a hoose

Tyrant

By the way the bit in bold just isn't true according to ASPC. You got my hopes up.  :-[ There's a few one bed places aye. Nae use to me unfortunately.

To be fair, I think it's a bit hit and miss.  I noticed two around xmas time on Esslemont Ave £98k and £105k.  Flats in Aberdeen tend to be very small though compared to the ones I'm used to in Glasgow so it's nae like you're comparing apples for apples.

Houses on the other hand - when I was loooking a year ago I found you don't get shit in the city for less than £250k.  I was interested in a right scabby 1.5 storey semi for that price on Countesswells Rd (nae the kind of semi you'd expect in the car park at the other end of Countesswells, if you catch my drift) behind the Palm Court, but would've needed to spend another £40k making it liveable.  In BoD you'll get something, but if you're happy to spend 40 mins to travel 3 miles in the morning to get to work, you're as well saving yourself £50k by moving out of the city boundary altogether.  And don't get me started on the new-builds.  So many people who have moved into 4 bed S Milne/Bett/A.N.Other houses in Westhill, Kingswells etc etc need to put on extensions to get more living space.  Before you know it you've spent £400k and your extension leaves you with half a garden, that wasn't big enough in the first place.  Well middle classes of Aberdonia, I wish you well in your suburban nightmare.

That said, if anyone wants an extension drawn up, I'm yer man.  :wave:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to say, when I was hoose hunting just over 2 years ago 1 bedroom flats on Rosemount Place were going for over 115k. I did see a couple nearer the 100k mark but they all had fairly major problems which would have taken thousands to fix.

I got a bit lucky. After Uni I was able to stay with my parents for about a year while I saved up for a deposit, and then I bought my flat directly off a family friend for under market value. I doubt that if I was renting a flat while looking to buy that I would have been able to save very much.

I could live wi my old man rent free but the problem is that he lives near Fraserburgh and I work in Altens. So even if I didn't mind spending 2-3 hours a day in the car what I'd save on rent I'd spend on petrol which again would make it very hard to save.

Another thing about new builds is the bloody price. There's a development called City Mount which is at the Mounthooly roundabout. Prices start at £190k for 2 bed apartments. Next to no chance for a first time buyer. Really nice looking flats though.

http://www.citymount.co.uk/

Other option is buying a place along with my sister.  :-\ That would increase the deposit at my/our disposal but she's abroad for the next 18 months so wouldn't be contributing to the mortgage but the hoose would still be half hers.  ???

I'm currently using Martin Lewis' mortgage guide to try and learn everything I need to know about them before going to see a mortgage advisor tomorrow. I plan on seeing 2 or 3 as well as seeing what I can find for myself as for once I think Rocket's advice was good.  :o

I'm going to have to side with CTS on this one as well.  I think people really have just forgotten how to save.

Sure you might have to save more than previous generations but it's all relative.

Gone really are the days when people had to save up for anything so it's probably a shock to the system when they actually have to put some of their hard earned cash to one side.

You hear plenty stories of kids who haven't left home yet with £20k credit card bills and students running up vast amounts on loans with no real regards on how they'll pay them off.  Furniture can all be put away on tick, shops practically throw store cards at you everytime you're at the check out, most electrical equipment can be bought on installments.  I think I currently have three items that I'm paying up at 0% interest free.  Why wouldn't I sign up for that?

So that also goes for me, I can't remember the last time I had to save for anything in day-to-day life.  You name it, you could leave your house without a penny in your pocket and come home with a new TV, car, holiday, pair of tits, etc.

Except a house that is.

You'll have to actually save for that.

Do youngsters these days think previous generations collected 'free hoose' vouchers from cornflakes packets or something?

Work hard, extra hours where possible, save some money for a deposit, buy a house.  It's always been the same.

Fucking lazy young cunts.

:thumbsup:

It's almost irresponsible not to do that while you can still get away with it. Its a right bitch when it all catches up with you though...

In other news, all you old folk with your 10 buy-to-let properties so that me & Tyrant cannae get on the housing ladder should all quit yer jobs and fuck off: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17855240

It's almost irresponsible not to do that while you can still get away with it. Its a right bitch when it all catches up with you though...

In other news, all you old folk with your 10 buy-to-let properties so that me & Tyrant cannae get on the housing ladder should all quit yer jobs and fuck off: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17855240

Tbh be honest it's a bad idea. If everyone over 50 fucks off a lot of experience is lost and that might be harder to cope with that it might seem.

Anyway.. back to ranting about how the world's against me.. I've seen one or two properties which have potential and are cheaper because they require refurbishment. Despite being well under the maximum of what a lender will lend me I can't go for them because the lend won't lend me more than the purchase price. Leaving me nae money to get the place up to scratch. Fucking useless. This narrows down my options a lot and will probably see me having to splash out more than I maybe thought I had to.

Tbh be honest it's a bad idea. If everyone over 50 fucks off a lot of experience is lost and that might be harder to cope with that it might seem.

Anyway.. back to ranting about how the world's against me.. I've seen one or two properties which have potential and are cheaper because they require refurbishment. Despite being well under the maximum of what a lender will lend me I can't go for them because the lend won't lend me more than the purchase price. Leaving me nae money to get the place up to scratch. Fucking useless. This narrows down my options a lot and will probably see me having to splash out more than I maybe thought I had to.

I was messing around looking at properties online and came across this:

http://www-g.aspc.co.uk/cgi-bin/public/LiveProperty/298409?ID=GNKPKBLD#picture

Nah - fuck them. Everything worth knowing ever is on Wikipedia.

I was messing around looking at properties online and came across this:

http://www-g.aspc.co.uk/cgi-bin/public/LiveProperty/298409?ID=GNKPKBLD#picture

I'm sure he'd rather pay a little more and not have to shit in a bucket.

Don't get me wrong I'm not above shitting in buckets if I've been lent the cash to refurbish the place so I'm just using the bucket on a temporary basis.

I'm not that clued up about the whole lending thing but I was thinking about this. Could you not get a long term mortgage for a cheap house you are planning on renovating and then get a personal unsecured loan, at a higher rate of interest, to renovate the property?

I'm not that clued up about the whole lending thing but I was thinking about this. Could you not get a long term mortgage for a cheap house you are planning on renovating and then get a personal unsecured loan, at a higher rate of interest, to renovate the property?

If I could afford to repay both simultaneously then probably? But then I'd also have to continue to pay rent until such times as the property I'm renovating is habitable. So apparently it's not generally done by first time buyers.

If I could afford to repay both simultaneously then probably? But then I'd also have to continue to pay rent until such times as the property I'm renovating is habitable. So apparently it's not generally done by first time buyers.

Bullshit.

I, as well as a load of my friends were in that boat when we bought our first properties.  Bought cheap with a load of work to do and spent money when the pay cheques came in doing them up.

I spent two or three years doing a mixture of washing dishes in the bath, showering at work, living off a microwave oven in the living room, sleeping on the couch, borrowing 3 bar heaters until the boiler was installed and living out of cardboard boxes.  It's far from ideal but needs must.

A little bit of elbow grease and roughing it never hurt anybody and it meant I ended up with a whole new skill set and a pad that was done exactly the way I wanted.

The young team just want everything handed to them these days.

Toughen up ffs sake.  ;)

Bullshit.

I, as well as a load of my friends were in that boat when we bought our first properties.  Bought cheap with a load of work to do and spent money when the pay cheques came in doing them up.

I spent two or three years doing a mixture of washing dishes in the bath, showering at work, living off a microwave oven in the living room, sleeping on the couch, borrowing 3 bar heaters until the boiler was installed and living out of cardboard boxes.  It's far from ideal but needs must.

A little bit of elbow grease and roughing it never hurt anybody and it meant I ended up with a whole new skill set and a pad that was done exactly the way I wanted.

The young team just want everything handed to them these days.

Toughen up ffs sake.  ;)

What absolute nonsense.  ::) If that was fishing it worked. I was specifically looking at properties that required renovation for the very reasons you specified. (Have you seen the way half the hooses oot there are decorated?) I'm more than willing to do any work that I can and roughing it isn't a problem (you should see my current abode). But I'd require finance to carry out major work because as willing as I am to put in a shift I wouldn't be able to install a kitchen or bathroom for example. I'm not saying it's rocket science but it's something that you'd need experience to do well. I'd want/need work done to a professional standard which requires money. If I can't get that money then I can't renovate? Simple.

So apparently it's not generally done by first time buyers.

This was advice given to me by a mortgage advisor. Hence "apparently". I did find it strange because I thought it was a good idea especially for a first time buyer. You buy the house cheap because it needs work, do the work on as tight a budget as you can and when finished the house is potentially worth more than what you've spent on it. I know it wont work out like that on every property but these are the lines that I was thinking along.

It irks me that people think I want a free ride. If my parents taught me anything over the years it's the value of money and the hard work required to earn it. Hence I've been in employment constantly since I was 16 and I'm sure many of you are the same. I feel I've had a good attitude throughout my so far short but fast paced house-hunt, being realistic with figures and obviously having done my homework on mortgages to the apparent surprise of the mortgage advisers that I've spoken to. I don't think I need to be spoken down to from a higher rung of the property ladder by any of you older folk!  :wave:

What absolute nonsense.  ::) If that was fishing it worked. I was specifically looking at properties that required renovation for the very reasons you specified. (Have you seen the way half the hooses oot there are decorated?) I'm more than willing to do any work that I can and roughing it isn't a problem (you should see my current abode). But I'd require finance to carry out major work because as willing as I am to put in a shift I wouldn't be able to install a kitchen or bathroom for example. I'm not saying it's rocket science but it's something that you'd need experience to do well. I'd want/need work done to a professional standard which requires money. If I can't get that money then I can't renovate? Simple.

This was advice given to me by a mortgage advisor. Hence "apparently". I did find it strange because I thought it was a good idea especially for a first time buyer. You buy the house cheap because it needs work, do the work on as tight a budget as you can and when finished the house is potentially worth more than what you've spent on it. I know it wont work out like that on every property but these are the lines that I was thinking along.

It irks me that people think I want a free ride. If my parents taught me anything over the years it's the value of money and the hard work required to earn it. Hence I've been in employment constantly since I was 16 and I'm sure many of you are the same. I feel I've had a good attitude throughout my so far short but fast paced house-hunt, being realistic with figures and obviously having done my homework on mortgages to the apparent surprise of the mortgage advisers that I've spoken to. I don't think I need to be spoken down to from a higher rung of the property ladder by any of you older folk!  :wave:

Why not? Do you think people who install kitchens and bathrooms are skilled tradesmen. You'd be more likely to do a better job yourself in my opinion.

Why not? Do you think people who install kitchens and bathrooms are skilled tradesmen. You'd be more likely to do a better job yourself in my opinion.

Skilled or not skilled I'm not sure but I've got next to no experience of building anything let alone kitchens and experience is useful when it comes to those sort of things.