Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Buying a hoose

Tyrant

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Passing exams improves intelligence does it?

Are the young 'uns more intelligent cos more of them pass exams?

But more of them get the chance to sit exams!

No, you miss the point, "dumbing down" does not make everyone cleverer just makes "the stats look good"

PS Sorry, more "drivel" gd  ;D

ST, min.. since you're a master of DIY and especially floorboards here's one for you. How the fuck do you fix them if they're creaky as fuck? Saw a flat that I quite like but there's literally not a floorboard in the whole place that doesn't creak like a bastard and it was driving me nuts. Surely the whole lot won't need replacing?

Floorboards creaking is most likely due to them rubbing against each other. If that was the case they wouldn't likely need replaced. You can put talc between the boards or support them better by screwing them into the joists.

Depends if its proper floorboards or shitey chipboard too.

Floorboards creaking is most likely due to them rubbing against each other. If that was the case they wouldn't likely need replaced. You can put talc between the boards or support them better by screwing them into the joists.

Depends if its proper floorboards or shitey chipboard too.

So I've read but I've also read that they need replaced. Depends on which site you look at. I could go back for a third viewing and ask to have a look. I was thinking of drilling a wee guide hole within a few inches of each nail and then using 40 or 50mm screws to secure them down and then cover the floor with talc and sweeping it into all the wee crevasses. problem is if that didn't work I'd be stuck with a floor that drains my will to live a little more with every step.

Depends.

Are they uneven to walk on or are they just creaking a little?

If its just a few squeaks then I'd not worry myself as underlay and a thick carpet will soon mask that.  Old places have these bits of 'character' and you'll soon get used to it.

I only replaced the whole kitchen floor as they literally were coming away in my hand.  Other floors I patched with the 'good' boards that I salvaged from the kitchen.  The squeaky boards throughout the flat I screwed down with big fuck-off screws to make sure it didn't happen again.

Not uneven. And it's more than a little squeak. It was irritating as fuck and that was when i was there for only 15 mins. It's literally the whole flat so would need sorting. Screwing them down appears to be the way forward and wouldn't be too big a job.

What I could do is buy screws one month. Then the next month I could buy a screw driver. Then save for three month for a drill.. ;)

If I've any more DIY queries I know where you are, ST.  :thumbsup:

Not uneven. And it's more than a little squeak. It was irritating as fuck and that was when i was there for only 15 mins. It's literally the whole flat so would need sorting. Screwing them down appears to be the way forward and wouldn't be too big a job.

What I could do is buy screws one month. Then the next month I could buy a screw driver. Then save for three month for a drill.. ;)

If I've any more DIY queries I know where you are, ST.  :thumbsup:

To be honest Tyrant, if there's something that was 'irritating as fuck' with a property then I'd probably walk away.  There's plenty on the market due to the number of lazy young folk struggling to get mortgages.  ;)

But if it's ticked all other boxes and you're willing to put in the graft then it's an easy enough fix.

Just try not to hit any cables or pipes whilst you're at it.  ;D

Nice one.  Welcome to the property ladder, dinna be put off by any squeaky rungs on your way up!

Far aboots is it and are you happy with the deal?

Cheers min. Just a stones throw from Berryden. Nae too far from where I am now. Pleased with the deal. It doesn't need any work which suits a young lazy cunt like me and I got it for slightly under valuation.  :thumbsup: oving in at the end of June.

Although I wish it was the hoose that DD posted. Looks awesome.