Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Gavin Rae

Got told this news at 5 this evening not a good move... Might suggest Arneson is away in next few days.

Bloody well hope not. I don't see what this signing would bring to the team apart from an experienced head in the middle. Bit pricey to be taking passengers though surely?

Bloody well hope not. I don't see what this signing would bring to the team apart from an experienced head in the middle. Bit pricey to be taking passengers though surely?

Just spoke to Donald (our dees mate) and he said he had been a cut above the rest of the team recently and had been creating lots of opportunities in behind the striker as a playmaker.

Signing him years after we should have. he certainly knows how to play the game, not sure how much he's got left in the legs though. Fingers crossed on this one I think.

Signing him years after we should have. he certainly knows how to play the game, not sure how much he's got left in the legs though. Fingers crossed on this one I think.

Thought he looked good against Killie when I watched it in the pub.

Been told by a Dundee fan that he definitely looks SPL class.

Doesn't sound like its 100% guaranteed...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16772412.stm

Dundee midfielder Gavin Rae is close to completing a move to Aberdeen, Dons manager Craig Brown has confirmed.

The 34-year-old former Rangers and Cardiff player had caught the eye of Hibernian boss Pat Fenlon but is likely to move to Pittodrie instead.

"Gavin Rae is still a Dundee player. There is administration to be done and one or two minor points to be ironed out before he is here," said Brown.

"He was at the game today because he couldn't play [injured] for Dundee."

Brown, though, was wary of guaranteeing that Rae would soon be playing in red.

He told BBC Radio Scotland: "If we get him, and I have been well warned by Duncan Fraser, our chief executive, that things are not completely signed and sealed, it will be in time for the Hibs match in a fortnight's time.

"He won't be able to play next week if he is fit because if we manage to sign him he is cup-tied already."

Whoa, fits happening here. EE bullshit or a grain of truth?

I was wondering the same thing on Saturday. Fair enough signing Hughes as cover for Milsom, but do we really need Rae??

How many central midfielders will we have next season? Milsom, Fyvie, Jack, Folly, Rae, Hughes, Osbourne

One of them has got to be going?

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120130/rae-completes-_2212158_2593269

Aberdeen have completed the signing of midfielder Gavin Rae from Dundee on an eighteen month deal.

The 34 year old Aberdonian had been interesting other SPL clubs but was determined to play for the club has always supported.

Pittodrie Chief Executive Duncan Fraser praised his Dens Park counterparts for the way they dealt with the situation.

"I have nothing but the highest praise for the way Dundee conducted themselves in this transfer. They were desperate to keep Gavin and pulled out all the stops to do so but when it was obvious he wanted to come to Aberdeen, they were first class in making sure there were no unnecessary delays."

Gavin, who spent a season at Aberdeen junior side Hermes, began his senior career at Dundee, before being transferred to Rangers in 2004. He spent three years with the Ibrox club where before moving south to join Cardiff City where he was a team-mate of ex-Don Kevin MacNaughton. After leaving the Championship side last summer, he was snapped up by Dundee for a second time.

Gavin, who played 14 times for Scotland, is ineligible for Saturday's Scottish Cup tie with Queen of the South as he is already cuptied.

Only reason i can think is one i come across in football manager. If its anything like that they might want to try and up the number of homegrown players at the club.  Because he is 17 he will be able to qualify as a full homegrown player as he will have spent 3 years there before he is 21.  You have to have a certain number of those in your squad when you register it for the League and Champions league.

As i said though that's how it is in FM, i honestly couldn't tell you how accurate that is in the real world but it does fit the question. I don't think its out of the question for Fyvie to go on to be good enough to be a squad player for city.  They could probably get him for a couple of Mill which is not much money for them and then they could put him out on loan for a year and half.  If it works out great, if not well they will probably be able to recoup about half what they spent so its not exactly high risk or loss.