Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Chris Crighton

mizer

Kyle Lafferty aping Steven Naismith's goal celebration was not the only tribute paid by Rangers to their fallen team-mate. This collection produced a performance of boorishness in Naismith's image.

The campaign to paint Naismith as a martyr is in full swing but he is a victim only of his own folly. His shin high, blood drawing tackle on Rob Milsom ended the participation of Aberdeens best player and should have done likewise for Naismith but for the decision of Willie Collum not to send him off.

That the players who scored the opener and conceded the decisive penalty would not have been on the park had it not been for Naismith's foul ultimately added to the justified indignation of the Dons support.

Rangers had been up to their tricks from the off, when Allan McGregor went at Fraser Fyvie in precisely the same manner he did to Chris Maguire last season. As then, TV evidence must see him banned though opponents may hope he escapes given his penche for throwing the ball into his own net.

So, by the time Collum, as ever, reduced Aberdeen to ten men, the Red Army didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Having made such a show of wagging his finger in Darren Mackies face after he had gone over in the box, defender Doirin Goian went down like a tonne of manure to draw Rory Fallon's expulsion - for contact less forceful and violent than Nikica Jelavic booting Andy Considine up in the air seconds earlier.

Should they lose their biggest match of the season to HMRC, the penalties coming Rangers way will be very different to the ones they inevitably receive from Collum, and Scottish football will be better for it.

I fully expect to get pelters for this, but am I the only one that finds that article a bit cringeworthy?

While I agree about the crap red card decision, and naismith's shocking tackle etc the way it's written is like something you'd expect from a 15yr old on a chatroom, not an actual journalist's column in a paper. especially ending with the point about HMRC.

he might as well have ended with "and rangers fans stink too, na na, na na na"

Slagging the sh1t that's written in rags like the Daily Record and then bigging up juvenile crap in the P & J is a tad hypocritical.

Kind of agree to a certain extent.  My feelings are that the article could have been written after any OF game and it's only a collective licking of the Red Army wounds.

Skip forward a few months and we'll be witnessing another halfbaked sending off of a red whilst an OF player gets awarded a penalty at the other end for assaulting one of our players.

The game's a bogey.

Kind of agree to a certain extent.  My feelings are that the article could have been written after any OF game and it's only a collective licking of the Red Army wounds.

Skip forward a few months and we'll be witnessing another halfbaked sending off of a red whilst an OF player gets awarded a penalty at the other end for assaulting one of our players.

The game's a bogey.

Exactly.

I commented to my mate that there was no shame in losing that game on Saturday, we quite simply could not win it, given the blatant bias of the referee.

The game's a bogey.

I've been seeing this since 1970!