Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would not question Mackie's loyalty to Aberdeen, I do not understand how any logical person who goes to games would prefer him to Maguire.  Mackie has proven time and time again that he cannot play football particularly well.  Maguire on the other hand is an up and coming technically able player improving all the time.

Ideally, I'd never see Mackie play for Aberdeen again.  Maguire I'd like to see for a couple more seasons, but if not, it ain't the end of the world, I hope he does well wherever he goes (unless in the SPL) and we will move on to the next young striker coming through.

Pretty much the way I feel about it as well. Mackie may try hard but in the end he is nowhere near the standard required. Maguire on the other had has obvious ability and hopefully enough sense to see that another couple of season working with experienced coaches like Brown and Knox will only improve him as a player and earn him a much more lucrative move than he can get now.

Exactly why there are lot of people not using this site, The abuse is out of control on here, Wouldnt mind being called a cunt or a retard by people who actually bother their arse to go to games but half o the abuse that comes on this site is from stay away fans who ruin any good threads that do come along

Fuck off you fucking spastic.

I know I said I wouldn't but, really, I canna let this go.........

Pot and kettle? From possibly the biggest fisherman/most contoversial just for the sake of it poster on here (or tied with Caledonia).

I'll bet I've been to more games home and away in my time than you laddie, been through the bad and the good, but cos I'm now unable to justify a season ticket or get to games regularly, due to distance, I'm not allowed an opinion?

Fucking. Wise. Up.

Or fuck off to the hat

...whats hard to understand?

my posts, clearly. or at least they are for you anyway.

(the dump on the desk thing was what's known as 'sarcasm' an exaggeration for comic effect)

I originally said it's a win win for us if we're either getting cash, or keeping a player finally starting to look decent.

stoney mentioned his logic in a reply to me of why we shouldn't wait for him to decide at the end of his contract. to show other young players we won't be f**ked around to which I replied something "Fair enough, but teaching young players loyalty is a waste of time"

i.e. I take his point, but would sticking maguire in the stand really register with any young player these days, as loyalty is dead in the game. I'm not sure they'd care.

At this point, you get all shirty about my use of the word Loyal and why should maguire be?

try reading the whole thread before you jump in.

One way to motivate 'loyalty' in younger players in the club is to have the offer of a free bus ride to Peterhead for any player who wants to leave the club on his own terms.

Because realistically, that's where they're going to end up.

I know what I'd choose.

I reckon Maguire thinks his value is better than a career with Aberdeen could offer.

Few years in England and he'll be quids in - we can't compete with that - regardless of whether folk think he's shit or not, clubs in England will pay more for shit than we can. Especially shit who's stock is quite high in the market place.

If we wanted to turn a profit - we've missed the boat. We won't tie him up on a long enough deal cos he knows he'll get more elsewhere. So if anyone offers money now - take it and run!

If we want to make money from players - we should never get to the stage where we are negotiating during the last 6 months of their contract - that's what it comes down to.

Hibs and Hearts made money off young players by paying them high wages on long term deals - so the large fees payable were to buy them oot their current contract. The board's penny pinching short termism at Aberdeen means we'll never see large fees paid for our youngsters - and we'll more often than not see them leave for peanuts cos they know they can make more elsewhere.

Aberdeen FC are in a lose lose situation just now when it comes to the futures of our young players  :-[

Agree with what your saying Jager but I think that we have been trying to tie Maguire up for 18 months with no joy.

Agree with what your saying Jager but I think that we have been trying to tie Maguire up for 18 months with no joy.

That's what Miller says but part of that negotiation appears to have been lending him to Kilmarnock. I wouldn't take that as a strong desire to keep me if I was in his position.

One way to motivate 'loyalty' in younger players in the club is to have the offer of a free bus ride to Peterhead for any player who wants to leave the club on his own terms.

Because realistically, that's where they're going to end up.

I know what I'd choose.

Cos you've got relatives at HMP Peterheid ?   

Sums it up nicely for me.

In better times for our club without doubt. In fact we'd show him the door.

But as it is right now we have very few football players with any sort talent contracted to the club. Almost none in fact. Which make the lad one we could do with keeping.

However do agree I won't lose any sleep over it, just a shame to see we still haven't worked out how to manage contracts for younger prospects. Somehow you have to convince them that they will get their big money move in good time and the club can get a fee too if they sign a decent contract and the get their head down and work.

In better times for our club without doubt. In fact we'd show him the door.

But as it is right now we have very few football players with any sort talent contracted to the club. Almost none in fact. Which make the lad one we could do with keeping.

The fact we have few players right now who have this skill is almost utterly irrelevant. We are allowed to sign players, ye know?

Also, what is the point in holding on to someone with that skill if they so rarely produce it? What does that say to the younger players coming through the ranks - some of whom have this skill and more? That it's ok to only perform in a vast minority of the games?  That isn't alright.

You can take his age into account and take into account he's been played out of position as well, but he should still have been performing way above what he was actually showing a lot of the time. 

Interesting.

Could of course all be a big bluff and he could still turn around  say we couldn't meet his expectations and fuck off in the summer

If his decision was to fuck off, I don't think he'd need to bluff. 

More likely Craig Brown and Willie Miller have spoken to him and made him realise it would probably be more beneficial to remain at Aberdeen for the time being rather than chase the money.