Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest problem some people are having now is to accept mediocre players as good.

This is mainly because we have not had any for a while and we have basically been shit .

We've had much better players than Maguire in the recent past.

No-one seems to be saying Maguire is anything more than a talented prospect.

Contrary to 1 or 2 posters constant bitching about Maguire losing him for nothing or buttons WOULD be a bit of a financial blow and probably (less) a blow to the team. We are just starting to see some performances come from him and he could well turn out to become a key player in the next few months.

See we've gone through all the churlish, childish ego driven shit from him and now its time we should be seeing what he can really do. This isn't the time to give up on him and throw him to the wolves. If that was the plan we should have done it years ago and spent the time and money developing other players. We didn't.

So lets back him while he's in the team and hope the club can convince him to stay and if it happens he leaves without achieving anything at the club we'll all have forgotten about him very very quickly.

Contrary to 1 or 2 posters constant bitching about Maguire losing him for nothing or buttons WOULD be a bit of a financial blow and probably (less) a blow to the team. We are just starting to see some performances come from him and he could well turn out to become a key player in the next few months.

See we've gone through all the churlish, childish ego driven shit from him and now its time we should be seeing what he can really do. This isn't the time to give up on him and throw him to the wolves. If that was the plan we should have done it years ago and spent the time and money developing other players. We didn't.

So lets back him while he's in the team and hope the club can convince him to stay and if it happens he leaves without achieving anything at the club we'll all have forgotten about him very very quickly.

Probably the best post in the entire thread!

I would think it may come down to whether or not we're in a cup final. If we beat celtic I think he'll stay until at least the end of the season before signing on anywhere else, just so he has a chance of a winners medal.

he's surely not likely to leave it til 5pm on the 29th to start talking to clubs is he?  They'd need to be very understanding over his situation which i think is a bit unlikely.

That's fair enough I guess.

Although trying to teach any young player the importance of being loyal is waste of bloody effort these days.

I'd could see Rangers try getting him since they can't seem to afford Goodwillie, but being an avid tim, I'm not sure if he'd go there.

sorry, remind me again why a young player should be loyal to a club?

what do you mean by "loyal" anyway?

how long should they stay, before being allowed to leave without being branded "disloyal"?

:clap:

Would rather he stayed. I'd be disappointed if he left, but i'm sure i'd get over it. It would do him good to have a look at where all the rest of our talented prospects have ended up. Another 2 years here would do him the world of good.

I look forward to seeing him on the Celtic bench next year.

If it was a straight shot out between Mackie or Maguire i would be picking mackie every single time, not much between them at all at this moment in time, at least i know that Mackie will give all he has and genuinly cares about the club.

Not his biggest fan - but if it came down to those two, mackie would be my first choice and that is frightening.

If it was a straight shot out between Mackie or Maguire i would be picking mackie every single time, not much between them at all at this moment in time, at least i know that Mackie will give all he has and genuinly cares about the club.

Not his biggest fan - but if it came down to those two, mackie would be my first choice and that is frightening.

I kind of agree with this (sorry) but probably a heart ruling the head thing. Bebo has hit a wee purple patch just now and is playing well, but Mackie has more application and only a wee bit less ability.

Mind you If he's going to spend the rest of this season playing his balls off till he gets picked up by the tims then he would be an asset. Keeping him another season might just kick in the 'Robbie Winters Syndrome' If we can get the same money for him in the close season after him trying to impress scouts every week as we would in Jan, might as well keep him! Get Big Broon to tell him there's a celtic scout in the stand every week!

On a side note maybe we could go back to reasoned arguments like we used to in the old days on this site (about a month ago) The main arguments seem to be that A N Other is Stupid or 'fishing' or a cretin or just plain not liked! Its OK to say 'I think you are wron' and argue why but the one line slaggings are getting tedious.

Up 'e Dons!

Exactly why there are lot of people not using this site, The abuse is out of control on here, Wouldnt mind being called a cunt or a retard by people who actually bother their arse to go to games but half o the abuse that comes on this site is from stay away fans who ruin any good threads that do come along

Exactly why there are lot of people not using this site, The abuse is out of control on here, Wouldnt mind being called a cunt or a retard by people who actually bother their arse to go to games but half o the abuse that comes on this site is from stay away fans who ruin any good threads that do come along

:lolabove:

Says it all realy. Your denial of reality is stupifying.

While I would not question Mackie's loyalty to Aberdeen, I do not understand how any logical person who goes to games would prefer him to Maguire.  Mackie has proven time and time again that he cannot play football particularly well.  Maguire on the other hand is an up and coming technically able player improving all the time.

Ideally, I'd never see Mackie play for Aberdeen again.  Maguire I'd like to see for a couple more seasons, but if not, it ain't the end of the world, I hope he does well wherever he goes (unless in the SPL) and we will move on to the next young striker coming through.

While I would not question Mackie's loyalty to Aberdeen, I do not understand how any logical person who goes to games would prefer him to Maguire.  Mackie has proven time and time again that he cannot play football particularly well.  Maguire on the other hand is an up and coming technically able player improving all the time.

Ideally, I'd never see Mackie play for Aberdeen again.  Maguire I'd like to see for a couple more seasons, but if not, it ain't the end of the world, I hope he does well wherever he goes (unless in the SPL) and we will move on to the next young striker coming through.

Couldn't put it better myself. Mackie for all his heart and sole has proven over a decade that he is pretty pish.

sorry, remind me again why a young player should be loyal to a club?

what do you mean by "loyal" anyway?

how long should they stay, before being allowed to leave without being branded "disloyal"?

I'm sorry you are right.

there's absolutely no reason why a player who a club has spent years of effort on (at considerable cost) and who has been given a chance to become an established professional at said club, despite sometimes showing an attitude that others may have given up on, should have to show any loyalty at all.

what was I thinking?

Yes, he'd be quite within his rights to take sh!t on Craig's desk just before he walks out the door.

I'm sorry you are right.

there's absolutely no reason why a player who a club has spent years of effort on (at considerable cost) and who has been given a chance to become an established professional at said club, despite sometimes showing an attitude that others may have given up on, should have to show any loyalty at all.

what was I thinking?

Yes, he'd be quite within his rights to take sh!t on Craig's desk just before he walks out the door.

hes not going to shit on the managers desk (a manager who did nothing for his career, incidentally)

hes going to sign for a bigger team on a higher wage...whats hard to understand?