Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

Again not true, not going by what the players have said in one of yesterdays papers.

Maybes so but he was still stripped of his captaincy and it sent a message to others in the team that behaviour of that nature will not be tolerated.

Mcnaughton wanted to stay at the club and held out for a better deal until april, the club offered him a reduced terms contract and then decided to leave, i have no problem with that, if you cant spot the differance between Mcgnaugtons situation and what maguire is currently doing then there is not much point in having this discussion

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actively be considering any potential offers that come our way for Maguire during Jan if he is intent on not signing a new contract. That said, I think he is still too young for a big move and any move to England or further will see him quickly being sent out on loan to a lesser team. Whether he would be a success at a higher level at this stage in his career, I'm sceptical.

Mcnaughton wanted to stay at the club and held out for a better deal until april, the club offered him a reduced terms contract and then decided to leave, i have no problem with that, if you cant spot the differance between Mcgnaugtons situation and what maguire is currently doing then there is not much point in having this discussion

:lolabove:

That's all.

Again not true, not going by what the players have said in one of yesterdays papers.

Maybes so but he was still stripped of his captaincy and it sent a message to others in the team that behaviour of that nature will not be tolerated.

My bad on McNaughton, I don't remember how it was reported at the time and given we chased for compensation (but ultimately failed as he went outside of Scotland) would suggest otherwise.  I assume it was common knowledge on the internet though...

So you'd be happier if Maguire came out and said he was happy here, but still wasn't signing a new deal? 

If he goes then he goes, and personally I won't give a flying fuck.  Not because he doesn't have potential, but in the past we've lost real footballers/strikers like Stavrum, Black, Archibald, and Gilhaus... Maguire, I'm afraid, barely even registers on my radar.

It's hardly Lennon leaving the Beatles if Maguire fucks off.... I think well get over it.

:lolabove:

If he goes then he goes, and personally I won't give a flying fuck.  Not because he doesn't have potential, but in the past we've lost real footballers/strikers like Stavrum, Black, Archibald, and Gilhaus... Maguire, I'm afraid, barely even registers on my radar.

It's hardly Lennon leaving the Beatles if Maguire fucks off.... I think well get over it.

This. I'd like him to stay though it seems almost certain he won't. Next?

I think if Maguire went to England after his contract had run out we wouldn't get anything, Cardiff never got a fee when Ledley moved to Celtic in the summer and their manager was in the paper moaning about the rules.

Anyways, if he was that good Rangers would be after him and not Goodwillie.

I think if Maguire went to England after his contract had run out we wouldn't get anything, Cardiff never got a fee when Ledley moved to Celtic in the summer and their manager was in the paper moaning about the rules.

The same club that paid 3.5 mill for Kyle Lafferty? They will be the yardstick then.

I have already put a link in this thread about Ledley.  He was over 23 at the time, and that is the rule for cross border transfers.  Maguire only turns 22 this month, so we will be entitled to compensation wherever he goes at that is a FIFA rule.

As for the second point Maguire and Rangers.  Really?  Just think about that for a few seconds...

Sorry never noticed the link, fair enough but the second point, what is your point actually?  Rangers never sign a Celtic fan?

I don't think they go about signing those that openly slag off Rangers and "threaten" their players on social networking sites.  I also don't think Rangers go about signing players who actively make a point who goad their fans whenever that player's team score against them.  We aren't just talking a Celtic fan with Maguire, we are talking someone who is actively anti-Rangers...

That is besides the point anyway.  Rangers are looking for someone proven at scoring goals in the SPL.  Over the last 18 months, Goodwillie has that, Maguire does not.  Maguire offers other things that Goodwillie doesn't though, they aren't like for like.

This

to be honest IMO i'd happily have him stay but he's not exactly been conststently performing well at this level.

Potential - Yes

World beater - No