Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Managers in England

Sounds like Moyes could be on the brink?

TBF be fair hardly anyone could have followed SAF and made an immediate success of it.

I think that's true and Moyes has been pretty awful. However, some of those players have been an absolute disgrace this season and they have to take some of the responsibility.

Agreed, but his transfer dealings in the Summer weren't exactly stellar. too much time chasing Everton players.

Surely he should have seen Ferdinand was already past his best by a long way, Evans and Jones are not top 4 central defenders (maybe get away with playing one of them with a quality CB, but both together?). Also Carrick, Cleverly and Young have been overhyped for years and are not good enough as a group.

Either Man U give him the Summer to bring in some quality to address the above or get rid now. If you were Man U would you trust him to rebuild?

Agreed, but his transfer dealings in the Summer weren't exactly stellar. too much time chasing Everton players.

Surely he should have seen Ferdinand was already past his best by a long way, Evans and Jones are not top 4 central defenders (maybe get away with playing one of them with a quality CB, but both together?). Also Carrick, Cleverly and Young have been overhyped for years and are not good enough as a group.

Either Man U give him the Summer to bring in some quality to address the above or get rid now. If you were Man U would you trust him to rebuild?

Carrick was voted United's player's player of the year last season, and deservedly so, but as I've said before, Moyes tactics have him playing 10 yards further up the park where he just won't be effective.  Play Carrick sitting right in front of the defence and he'll control the vast majority of matches for United, particularly at home. He hasn't been in that position this season and United have really struggled, particularly at home.

There are good players there who are not performing for him (there are some average ones not performing for him too) but they've not looked comfortable as a unit all season and that goes to the manager.

I like Davie Moyes, generally, but never thought he was up to the United job and I feel a bit sorry for him. I hope they put him out his misery and let him get on with his career at a club where he's a more comfortable fit.  Some of the players have done the dirty on him - Rio Ferdinand leaking every line up to the Mirror is an example of this; it wouldn't have happened under Fergie and Rio should be out the door right after Moyes.

Carrick was voted United's player's player of the year last season, and deservedly so, but as I've said before, Moyes tactics have him playing 10 yards further up the park where he just won't be effective.  Play Carrick sitting right in front of the defence and he'll control the vast majority of matches for United, particularly at home. He hasn't been in that position this season and United have really struggled, particularly at home.

There are good players there who are not performing for him (there are some average ones not performing for him too) but they've not looked comfortable as a unit all season and that goes to the manager.

I like Davie Moyes, generally, but never thought he was up to the United job and I feel a bit sorry for him. I hope they put him out his misery and let him get on with his career at a club where he's a more comfortable fit.  Some of the players have done the dirty on him - Rio Ferdinand leaking every line up to the Mirror is an example of this; it wouldn't have happened under Fergie and Rio should be out the door right after Moyes.

Agree with that completely. Some of the so-called senior players have been a disgrace.

I don't understand sacking him now. If he wasn't going to get time then why bother giving him the job in the first place? If ever there was a job that needed time it's following SAF Ferguson at Man Utd.

I will concede that his post match interview on Sunday reminded me a lot of a certain Dingus. He seemed convinced that his team played really well. Not in the game that I watched.

But Fergie achieved wonders with a relatively shite squad. No other manager had a chance of doing that. I know the transfer dealing have been shite but as far as I know that's more down to the guy whose job it is to actually do the deals once the manager has identified targets. I can't remember the guy's name but it was his first time in the job and he made a cunt of it which certainly hasn't helped Moyes.

Fit's the about Rio leaking lineups? Why? ??? Odd.

Officially sacked this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27107795

I find it utterly bizarre that they've chosen to do this now, unless they've already got the new man lined up.  I think he deserved until Christmas considering who he had to take over and the squad he needed to build.  He made a very positive signing in Mata in January so it would have been interesting to see who he'd manage to sign in the summer. 

I see van Gaal has been tipped as favourite, that'll be spurs fucked then!

Officially sacked this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27107795

I find it utterly bizarre that they've chosen to do this now, unless they've already got the new man lined up.  I think he deserved until Christmas considering who he had to take over and the squad he needed to build.  He made a very positive signing in Mata in January so it would have been interesting to see who he'd manage to sign in the summer. 

Agreed.  I see SAF is getting some criticism for helping select Moyes.  Should've been given a bit more time.

He knew when he came in the squad was getting old and needed rebuilt, but spent the summer chasing Fabregas who he had no chance of signing and Everton Players. I also think although aging the team should still be good enough to challenge for Champions League football. They got beat by West Brom, Swansea, Sunderland ETC. He looked lost and had no plan B.

I heard there was a clause in his contract that he could be fired without Man U having to pay the full remainder of his contract,  if he failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Number of games won by Manchester United managers after their first 31 games in charge:

Moyes:18

Busby: 15

Atkinson:14

Ferguson: 12

Sexton: 12

Docherty: 10

Pretty irrelevant stat though, isn't it? How many of those managers had just taken over a team which had strolled to the league title the previous season?

Well I hope he comes back and fucks Man U up the arse. I think he has been treated rather shabby. If the internet was around when SAF started with Man U he would have been shafted fewer games in than Moyles. The pressure that fans now have with showing how they feel online makes a huge difference to things. And anyone who thinks a new manager that starts at Man U and can come in running after SAF and with an ageing team and be in the top four is deluded.

Well I hope he comes back and fucks Man U up the arse. I think he has been treated rather shabby. If the internet was around when SAF started with Man U he would have been shafted fewer games in than Moyles. The pressure that fans now have with showing how they feel online makes a huge difference to things. And anyone who thinks a new manager that starts at Man U and can come in running after SAF and with an ageing team and be in the top four is deluded.

So it was the internet that got Moyes the sack and not the fact his tenure had cost United £200m?  Or that the players were clearly not responding to his methods? Or that he has overseen the worst defence of a league title possibly ever?

Anyone who compares Fergie starting at United and Moyes starting at United is deluded. United were an utter shambles of a club when Fergie tookover and he gutted them from top to bottom, so he was afforded the time. Moyes walked in to a very successful set up and ripped it up believing his way was better.  I think that lies at the feet of Moyes and not the internet.

All squads are ageing, but the squad Moyes got had lost Scholes and gained Januzaj and Zaha; one of whom has been used sparingly despite being the most exciting prospect at OT in years and the other wasn't even given a chance.  Are you seriously suggesting that taking the team who had last season won the league by 11 points to 7th place and out of all the cups (out of domestic cups at home, too) by early April isn't worthy of the tin tack?

Tthere has been utterly no sign of improvement.  His flip flopping in the media - team wins, "they're a great bunch of players"; team loses "I don't think they're good enough" - and his questionning of individual players - "They tell me he (Kagawa) is a great player; I've yet to see it." (that's Kagawa the former Bundesliga player of the year by the way, if he needs others to tell him he's a great player he's perhaps in the wrong business) has been embarrassing and possibly damaging in his relationship with the squad, something which lies squarely at his feet too.

Signing Fellaini... if ever there was a player not suited to a club it's him with United. Desperate signing which suggested Moyes didn't appreciate where he was and simply resorted to what he knows best; decent, hard grafting players with no frills, more concerned with breaking play up and making things generally uncomfortable for opponents rather than going for players who can actually play football (in fairness, Mata falls into that latter category).

I feel sorry for Moyes because he was clearly the wrong guy for that job, but I don't feel sorry for him being sacked, it's just a shame how was handled.

Moyes walked in to a very successful set up

That was only because of Fergie's willpower last season. Already the signs were there that too many players were either past it, not good enough or just "coasting". Scholes?

Moyes (or whoever took it on) was doomed to fail because of the "old guard" and laziness in the existing squad, and with the useless and untried Woodward handling transfers? Moyes fucked up, yes, but it's not all on his shoulders......I'm look at you Ryan, Rio........

Looking forward it will be interesting to see where they go now.  Van gaal doesn't seem a good fit to me, klopp would be the outstanding choice but he's said he intends to honour his bvb contract.  In short I think he fancies another go at PG's bayern, on a side note it's impressive he hasn't been disheartened enough by the loss of Gotze and Lewandoski to angle for a move to a richer club.  I have a big soft spot for Dortmund, have done since Booth went there, so I hope he stays where he is.  Simeone is obviously a bit interesting but how would he adapt to england both as a home and a League? I can't help but think he may end up at Barca, they will probably be changing manager soon.  One mischievous thought did occur though............ Wenger has yet to sign a new deal at arsenal..........  I highly doubt it but stranger things have happened in football.

Actually the more that I think about it the more it make sense. 

He knows the league

He has won trophies (not recently but he has had financially tied hands for a while until very recently)

He know's how to harvest talented youth and utd have a great youth setup

He would be way less likely to lose top players due to high wage demands

Van Persie would stay

He has a very good european record

He would not be fazed by Ferguson being in the stand

As I said I highly doubt it will happen but you have to admit it's a very tantalising thought.