Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Foster:If Rangers had money I would still be at Aberdeen fighting relegation

I honestly think he'd come back a better player BB, in terms of attitude, ability and consistency. A taste of the 'big time' should be an inspiration for any player.

However, my instinct says we wont see him back at Aberdeen at all.

I hope we do, no grudges from me.

I agree with this. We're light in the full-back areas and we have a decent SPL one under contract - who has probably improved sine he last played for us.

If he's happy to play for us, then we should keep him.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the same people who want us to sign Steven Smith.

Anyway, I don't really think Foster would have had much choice in the matter when it came to the loan deal. Apart from the last interview I read from him I don't think there's been much he's said to get people angry.

I agree he has been very carefull in is interviews. When asked if he will be staying at Rangers or if he wants to he says, At the moment all he knows is he will be an Aberdeen player next season.

And while admitting he has enjoyed his time at Rangers playing in big European games he has never said he the famous it is the only team I wanted to play for line or that he is desperate to stay.

Why is it a player who for years was arguably one of our worst players and very inconsistent suddenly become a world beater because he has played for the huns.

We used to argue about players suddenly getting picked for Scotland just because they signed for the huns.

Aint this just the same.

Why is it a player who for years was arguably one of our worst players and very inconsistent suddenly become a world beater because he has played for the huns.

We used to argue about players suddenly getting picked for Scotland just because they signed for the huns.

Aint this just the same.

He has had some bad seasons but In fairness, in the seasons that he played well, he was arguably one of our best players.  He clearly has the ability, perhaps he needs a coach or manager of a certain type to help his consistency or maybe playing in the champions league will have boosted his confidence and will make him a better player for us.

Aint this just the same.

Who's suggesting that?

Aint this just the same.

I get your point, but I dint think anyone has suggested that he's a world beater. He's had a good couple of seasons now and to say he wouldn't have improved playing in the champs league is probably a bit of diservice to the guy. I didn't want him to go in the first place, but would be happy to see him back.

Aint this just the same.

I get where you're coming from, and a lot of it at the time was just another stick to beat Mark McGhee with for some... you'd have thought Foster was the bastard child of Paul Breitner and Paolo Maldini, when the reality is that we just needed anyone at all who could play full back to a barely acceptable level; which is exactly what Foster provided, sometimes it was a bit more than that and sometimes a bit less but over the course of a season he was certainly a better option than sticking Considine or McArdle at left back and right back.

If we are going to improve though, we require a better standard of player than Ricky Foster.

I get where you're coming from, and a lot of it at the time was just another stick to beat Mark McGhee with for some... you'd have thought Foster was the bastard child of Paul Breitner and Paolo Maldini, when the reality is that we just needed anyone at all who could play full back to a barely acceptable level; which is exactly what Foster provided, sometimes it was a bit more than that and sometimes a bit less but over the course of a season he was certainly a better option than sticking Considine or McArdle at left back and right back.

If we are going to improve though, we require a better standard of player than Ricky Foster.

Was it not more the hideous imbalance left in the squad as the result of that loan move?

I hear what you're saying but how come Walter Smith thinks hes of an acceptable level for Rangers, and in playing terms they are miles ahead of us, yet WE (the bottom 6 team) need a better standard of player. Now either he is better than we give him credit for or the fact that he generally holds his own in the Rangers team is some sort of blip.

I hear what you're saying but how come Walter Smith thinks hes of an acceptable level for Rangers, and in playing terms they are miles ahead of us, yet WE (the bottom 6 team) need a better standard of player. Now either he is better than we give him credit for or the fact that he generally holds his own in the Rangers team is some sort of blip.

He's just the modern day Alec Cleland/Gary Bollan.

Was it not more the hideous imbalance left in the squad as the result of that loan move?

I'm talking about how Foster appeared to be elevated to greatness by some.  The squad was horribly imbalanced by his departure and poor decisions by McGhee, but his absence seemed to greatly exaggerate his effectiveness. 

You'd have to ask Walter Smith that.  While you're at it, you could maybe ask him why he also thinks Kirk Broadfoot is a player too.

• 1 month later...

Liam McLeod, from twitter:

liammcleod79: New #Rangers manager Ally McCoist wants to retain defenders Kyle Bartley on loan and #Aberdeen's Ricky Foster permanently next season

liammcleod79: Stumbling block for McCoist's move for Foster is the transfer fee but both McCoist and player would like it to happen. #Rangers #Aberdeen

Transfer fee a stumbling block when he's just been handed 10 million? GTF McCoist and Whyte. Would rather keep an unhappy player than let him go on the cheap to those cunts.

Agree with this. Was always going to happen though, I just hope that the board show a wee bit of backbone when an offer does come in.

I hope the board are strong too. but those of you wanting 7 figure sums need to lay off the glue. It's Ricky foster ffs.

Exactly. And they know we're skint and they know how tight Milne is. If it's a great deal more than £250k i'll be shocked... remember, the huns will know full well what his salary is, and that is the driver in these deals.

I'll be astounded if the cunts offer more than £100k for Foster.

I'll be even more astounded if our board have got the balls to turn it down.

We should however turn down any initial offer we receive from the filth and if Foster really wants to go (and have yet to see the quote in writing where he allegedly says he does) then let him slap in a transfer request, at which point we notify every single club in Britain and Europe about the availability of a versatile twenty six year old with Champions League experience, and let the bidding begin.

I swear I will NEVER forgive Wiggy if he lets Foster go to Der Hun for a pittance

I think most transfer fees are worked out on how much the contracts are worth. So...

Let's say Foster is on approx. £3k p/w with us he has two years left so let's says £312k plus a percentage of this season say 90% so about £450k maybe £500k if we're lucky. Would seem likely to me. The question you'd have to ask is; would you sell him to the Huns for that? I wouldn't

We should however turn down any initial offer we receive from the filth and if Foster really wants to go (and have yet to see the quote in writing where he allegedly says he does) then let him slap in a transfer request, at which point we notify every single club in Britain and Europe about the availability of a versatile twenty six year old with Champions League experience, and let the bidding begin.

This.  Really does depend on foster though.  If he does want to leave - we need to ring every penny from him.

I think most transfer fees are worked out on how much the contracts are worth. So...

Let's say Foster is on approx. £3k p/w with us he has two years left so let's says £312k plus a percentage of this season say 90% so about £450k maybe £500k if we're lucky. Would seem likely to me. The question you'd have to ask is; would you sell him to the Huns for that? I wouldn't

Why wouldn't you?

Weakens them financially, doesn't particularly strengthen them on the field, doesn't particularly weaken us on the pitch as he's not been here for a year and when he was he was .... well, occasionally competent. 

He's not David Robertson.

Which is a shame.