Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Foster:If Rangers had money I would still be at Aberdeen fighting relegation

Nope - I said Velicka was a good player and he will score goals if he plays - I also stated that foster was dire and shouldnt be classed as a full back. Im not happy about it but in my opinion a fit Velicka is twice the player of a fit foster.

So going on that it would be safe to assume you'd be comfortable with a fit velicka playing then?

Despite saying you think no ex rangers players should ever play for aberdeen?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stoney, I'd assume the same goes for Hartley, Jamie Smith, McNamara, Joe Miller, Charlie Nick and all the other ex-Celtic players that should never have been allowed to pull on an Aberdeen jersey.  Why stop there, what about ex-Hearts players or Dundee Utd?  Aren't they our rivals too?

Why is Ricky the face of the Rangers christmas promo?

4276425_4276425.jpg

Article in the herald about him.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/interview-two-clubs-four-managers-one-dangerous-situation-for-richard-foster-1.1074472

Michael Grant

15 Dec 2010

PUTTING a microphone in front of Richard Foster at the moment is the equivalent of handing him a live hand grenade.

One of the simplest questions of all – where would you like to be playing next season? – is enough to put him in a spin.

Foster can’t talk about wanting to stay on loan at Rangers in case it upsets people around Aberdeen, where he is due to return in May. And he can’t talk about wanting to return to Aberdeen in case it makes Rangers unhappy. It’s football’s equivalent of a Tory crossing the house to sit on the Labour benches for a while, and then going back again. He can’t please everyone.

Some solid performances may have increased the likelihood of Rangers making a bid to sign him permanently at the end of the season but Foster’s position is even more complicated than that. It was Walter Smith’s decision to take him on loan but the manager will be gone when any consideration is given to trying to buy him. That will be Ally McCoist’s call. As for the situation back at his “parent club”, Mark McGhee let him leave but has now gone from Aberdeen himself. So who should he be trying to impress most: Smith, McCoist or the new Aberdeen manager he has never previously worked with, Craig Brown?

Foster is clever enough to negotiate his way through the verbal minefield. He politely turns down any chance to engage with the “where would you like to be next season” issue at all. “I’m never going to come out and say ‘I definitely want to stay here’ or ‘I definitely want to go back to Aberdeen’,” he said. “But right now it’s not something I am thinking about. I am here until the end of the season and want to play as many games as I can and then take things from there.”

Eyebrows were raised by Rangers’ move for Foster, not just because it was a loan move between two clubs who are fierce rivals but because the 25-year-old’s ability to hold down a regular place at Ibrox was openly questioned. Injuries have opened a route to the first team and Foster has done well, starting against Valencia and Manchester United in the Champions League among half-a-dozen appearances so far.

If his experience as a Rangers player is to last only five more months he wants it to include involvement in an Old Firm game. The next one is in only 18 days’ time and right now Foster is the first choice at right-back. When the clubs met at Parkhead in October he was an unused substitute. He had never been to the Glasgow derby before, even as a spectator.

“I did get a sample of the atmosphere the last time, on the bench. It was definitely one of those games where you think ‘I really want to play in that’. It’s the biggest game in Scottish football. The rivalry between them, the atmosphere and the passion, you would do well to match that anywhere in Europe. It’s definitely a game I would love to experience.

“The noise when Celtic scored first; the place erupted. Then it was like a deafening silence when we equalised. It was a strange, strange atmosphere. It’s hard to describe, hard to put into words, but I’d love to experience it on the pitch.”

Was he optimistic he would play when the clubs meet on January 2? “Things change week to week, day to day in football so you never know what’s going to happen. As long as I keep fit and put myself in contention there’s nothing more I can do.

“I knew it would be hard to get in the team I just need to show what I can do. I hope my performances, especially in the Champions League, have shown I can cope at this level. To get in the team I am having to play pretty much as well as I can. As an Old Firm player your touch has to be better, your passing has to be crisper, your speed of thought has to be quicker because the players here – especially the forward-thinking players like Steven Naismith and Kenny Miller – always seem to be that one step ahead. You always have to try to be on the same wavelength as them.”

Does he want Miller and Naismith to leave in January? That depends. “It’s a strange one. These are the kind of guys you don’t want to be playing against, but you definitely want to be playing with. If I take a chance to stay here I’d definitely want them to stay, but if I go back to Aberdeen I don’t want to be playing against them . . .”

n Foster was promoting a Christmas party for children in the Family Section of the Broomloan Stand at Ibrox before the St Mirren game on Saturday. Christmas cards signed by the players, a disco and an appearance by Santa will be among the attractions from 1.30pm.

After playing at teh top end of the league and in CL, he's not exactly going to be content to play for aberdeen for any length of time anyway so personal grudges against him for turning blue-nose are completely irrelevent. We need to be looking for a replacement either way, so cashing in on him in summer is probably best for all concerned.

After playing at teh top end of the league and in CL, he's not exactly going to be content to play for aberdeen for any length of time anyway so personal grudges against him for turning blue-nose are completely irrelevent. We need to be looking for a replacement either way, so cashing in on him in summer is probably best for all concerned.

Cashing in to achieve what exactly?

I have zero doubt in my mind that the money we 'gain' from his departure will result in his wages being halfed to bring in someone even worse, whilst any dosh we might make off of him won't even cover a few month's interest on the quagmire of debt we owe to the banks.

And so the downward spiral shall continue.

"To get in the team I am having to play pretty much as well as I can"

An admission that players feel able to get into the Dons side whilst 'cruising'?

Surely he should be trying to "play pretty much as well as I can" no matter who or where he is playing?!?

Strange thing to say, for me... I will still welcome him back if it happens. He'd certainly be one of our better players now...

I have zero doubt in my mind that the money we 'gain' from his departure will result in his wages being halfed to bring in someone even worse, whilst any dosh we might make off of him won't even cover a few month's interest on the quagmire of debt we owe to the banks.

You think Brown and Knox would tolerate that? If that happened, they'd pack their bags and go. At their age, they have nothing to lose.

You think Brown and Knox would tolerate that? If that happened, they'd pack their bags and go. At their age, they have nothing to lose.

Give them time, they'll probably be lucky if they've even unpacked their travelling rugs and Tunnocks yet.

To get 'better players' we're going to have to spend money.  We don't have any and we won't be given anything anywhere in the region of what we need.

So the plan will be to offload players and bring in whoever falls into the bracket of 'free', 'cheaper', 'lower wages', 'available' and 'better'.  None of which fills me with a sense of 'good will to all men'.

If you want proof of this, take a look at the past 15 years.  Then look at what has happened during those 15 years.  Then realise that it's the same shite, different day/week/month/year/decade/era/ambitionless board.

"Nothing to lose"..... but their health or a couple hunner grand to top up the Werthers Originals fund when it's time to collect the next Stuart Milne golden handshake.

Cashing in to achieve what exactly?

Ok, in future I'll change my opinions about what's logical so as to suit your paranoia.

"Nothing to lose"..... but their health or a couple hunner grand to top up the Werthers Originals fund when it's time to collect the next Stuart Milne golden handshake.

So you don't think Milne got them in the second round by offering incentives? By nothing to lose, I meant that they are in the twilight of their careers, and might not hang around too long if they had to put up with what you suggest. Just depends what burning ambition or egos they have at their stage of life.