Foster:If Rangers had money I would still be at Aberdeen fighting relegation

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘Rangers will have to dig deep for Aberdeen FC ace Foster’

Brown’s warning over on-loan defender

Published: 22/12/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today warned Rangers they will have to splash the cash if they want to keep Richard Foster.

Aberdeen FC defender Foster has impressed at Ibrox and has also expressed an interest in staying with Rangers beyond the end of this season, despite still having two and a half years left on his Aberdeen FC contract.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown confirmed that will only happen if Rangers are willing to fork out a “substantial” transfer fee for Foster.

Foster is a hun supporter. He'll definitely want to stay there. Aside from being a hun he's generally known to be quite smart. He's not going to burn his bridges.

The only issue I have with him playing for us if the fact he's shit. True we could have done with him this season but I'd rather have McNamee (and if possible to sign him) Davidson every single day of the week.

I like what Brown said also.

Foster is a hun supporter. He'll definitely want to stay there. Aside from being a hun he's generally known to be quite smart. He's not going to burn his bridges.

The only issue I have with him playing for us if the fact he's shit. True we could have done with him this season but I'd rather have McNamee (and if possible to sign him) Davidson every single day of the week.

I like what Brown said also.

'Shit' he may be, but I am convinced that having him at right-back instead of Ifil et al would have saved us a considerable amount of goals this season. He's a player worth having.

He can't really say anything else.  Unfortunately now we find ourselves in an absolutely bizarre position where we are going to struggle to properly dictate a potential fee for someone we still have contracted for 2 years.  As professional as I think Foster is, I can't really see him being over the moon at returning to a club where he was pushed out the door, not to mention a considerable element of the support who will struggle to accept him back.  The only way round this would be Craig Brown convincing him of a place here. 

To me this sounds like we are trying to put him well and truely in the transfer market.  I guess we have to focus on Rangers just now due to them having a loan agreed till the end of the season but come the end of the season I can only see him or the club pushing through a move as it will probably be in the best interests of everyone.  I just hope it ain't for tuppence hapenny.

You obviously skimmed past the part where I said we could have done with him this season.

Next season no.

I had indeed, apologies.

I disagree however, in that next season I would still be happy to have him around - there are numerous inferior players who need replaced first. That isn't to say that I wouldn't take a fee for him though. He at least is a sellable asset, unlike the majority of the players on our books.

I had indeed, apologies.

I disagree however, in that next season I would still be happy to have him around - there are numerous inferior players who need replaced first. That isn't to say that I wouldn't take a fee for him though. He at least is a sellable asset, unlike the majority of the players on our books.

I posted in another thread that the only players I'd personally want to keep are Fyvie, Pawlett, Hartley, Folly, Vernon, Jack and Robertson.

The rest can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

I know this won't be the case though.

I posted in another thread that the only players I'd personally want to keep are Fyvie, Pawlett, Hartley, Folly, Vernon, Jack and Robertson.

The rest can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

I know this won't be the case though.

What have Vernon and Folly done that McArdle, Magennis and so on haven't.  I think Folly has seriously regressed as the team has, I seriously can't think of a game he has taken by the scruff of the neck in a long time.  Vernon has been left massively isolated of late and has shown he can score, but is far from proving consistency in his performances.

Thing that confuses me is if you are basing this on talent, performance or attitude.  I can't see any great pattern to your selection...

What have Vernon and Folly done that McArdle, Magennis and so on haven't.  I think Folly has seriously regressed as the team has, I seriously can't think of a game he has taken by the scruff of the neck in a long time.  Vernon has been left massively isolated of late and has shown he can score, but is far from proving consistency in his performances.

Thing that confuses me is if you are basing this on talent, performance or attitude.  I can't see any great pattern to your selection...

I admittedly haven't seen much of the team this season but I haven't shyed from that.

I've never seen McArdle at full back but all I heard (LS aside) was that he struggled. It also pulls the team out of shape. I've seen him in the middle and didn't find him particularly better than what we have.

Vernon looks like he can take his chances as long as he's being provided with them.

Hartley has the right attitude and drive to help the younger players, although the legs are going.

Folly is the player I've seen most fans raving about although recently everyone has come in for stick. I haven't seen much of him admittedly. By your admission though it seems when we were doing well he was doing well too. A hard working water carrier isn't going to look great when we're struggling.

Magennis just looks awkward and doesn't have a football brain. Will run and run and run and put himself about but that seems about it.

The young players can all play football and still have plenty potential to fill. Robertson has looked the worst but I'm told he's naturally a left midfielder. It also can't help playing in such a poor defence with no left wingers tracking back.

I don't think we can have both Hartley and Folly in midfield together, teams are ripping us to pieces in there because we have utterly no urgency.  Both in their own right are good players but Hartley's legs have gone. Get a guy in there beside him (or Folly) who will go box to box and get to the opposition quickly.

Folly at different times this season has looked a class act and then totally out his depth.

I really do think it's one of two, not both.

I don't think we can have both Hartley and Folly in midfield together, teams are ripping us to pieces in there because we have utterly no urgency.  Both in their own right are good players but Hartley's legs have gone. Get a guy in there beside him (or Folly) who will go box to box and get to the opposition quickly.

Folly at different times this season has looked a class act and then totally out his depth.

I really do think it's one of two, not both.

I think there is definitely space for both if we play with a 3 man midfield, whetehr that's in a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 formation.

I agree in regards to a 4-4-2 formation but I can't remember the last time we tried two front men I'm afraid.

I think there is definitely space for both if we play with a 3 man midfield, whetehr that's in a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 formation.

I agree in regards to a 4-4-2 formation but I can't remember the last time we tried two front men I'm afraid.

I agree, a midfield of Folly, Hartley and Fyvie for example could potentially work. 

Folly looked a very composed player earlier in the season, but the last couple of games I've attended have completely passed him by.

I still think it's far too pedestrian.  You'd then have one guy doing the forward midfield work of at least two men. We frankly don't have anyone good enough to do that justice.

I still think it's far too pedestrian.  You'd then have one guy doing the forward midfield work of at least two men. We frankly don't have anyone good enough to do that justice.

I agree to an extent, the doubts being that we aren't strong enough defensively to have more of a cavalier midfield.

If we had the defence sorted I'd be a lot more open to one of the two playing.

I agree to an extent, the doubts being that we aren't strong enough defensively to have more of a cavalier midfield.

If we had the defence sorted I'd be a lot more open to one of the two playing.

It's nothing to do with being cavalier, it's to do with doing a midfielder's job properly in my opinion. Neither of them have the legs to move out of their comfort zone on the park and the rest of the side will suffer as a result. 

I actually think in certain games our defence would perhaps be better off without the two of them sitting on top of them.  The gap between midfield and defence is non existent at times. That has to change.

It's nothing to do with being cavalier, it's to do with doing a midfielder's job properly in my opinion. Neither of them have the legs to move out of their comfort zone on the park and the rest of the side will suffer as a result. 

I actually think in certain games our defence would perhaps be better off without the two of them sitting on top of them.  The gap between midfield and defence is non existent at times. That has to change.

You will have seen more of the team this season Bobby so I can't argue with how it's been going in your eyes as I don't really have an opinion. I've mostly seen highlights of defensive errors etc and just felt they could do with a bit more cover.

The best midfield performance I've seen this season was from Ryan Jack. I wish he hadn't had a couple of leg breaks as he'd have broken through before. He's a good lad and a good player.

Having only seen the Dons twice this season, both times we won, I haven't really any idea what formations we are playing at present. Does Hartley occupy a kind of sweeper role like he did at Celtic in his latter period there (I think) or does he just play a deep midfield role ? If we are going to play a 5 man back line would Hartley be better in there as the composed head ? Just a thought, Severin seemed to take to that role quite well and I'm sure Roy Keane played there in his later years.

Having only seen the Dons twice this season, both times we won, I haven't really any idea what formations we are playing at present. Does Hartley occupy a kind of sweeper role like he did at Celtic in his latter period there (I think) or does he just play a deep midfield role ? If we are going to play a 5 man back line would Hartley be better in there as the composed head ? Just a thought, Severin seemed to take to that role quite well and I'm sure Roy Keane played there in his later years.

He's still in midfield, sitting in front of the defence.

Both Severin and Keane played as out and out centre backs more than sweeper.  I would worry that Hartley as last man just wouldn't have the legs to dig us out the hole sweeper's should be digging their team out of.

Both Severin and Keane played as out and out centre backs more than sweeper.  I would worry that Hartley as last man just wouldn't have the legs to dig us out the hole sweeper's should be digging their team out of.

Agree with that. Foster would be ideal for that role imo.

Sorry, my thinking had moved on a notch during that post. I had meant Hartley taking on a role as an out and out CB in a back 5, not a sweeper....just to clarify.