Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hartley: DEAL IS DON (sic)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad he's signed finally! Think Hartely will be a great addition to the team, he always impressed me as a player and I hated the cunt when he played for Hearts and Celtic! Hopefully be a really good influence on the team and a good choice of captain!

A signing that has made me even a tad excited to see him play in the new season!

Anyone else think the club may have bent their own rules regarding pay structures etc to get their man? The cynic in me thinks maybe very poor season ticket figures have forced the club's hand here, and I'm very happy about it. Power to the people and all that.

Aberdeen have needed a big name signing for a few years now (I don't think I've been this pleased about a new player since Baz Nicholson) and hopefully this will stop the steady decline.

Actually starting to look forward to the new season now, and that shows a remarkable turnaround for me.

COYR!  :AFC2:

Anyone else think the club may have bent their own rules regarding pay structures etc to get their man? The cynic in me thinks maybe very poor season ticket figures have forced the club's hand here, and I'm very happy about it. Power to the people and all that.

Aberdeen have needed a big name signing for a few years now (I don't think I've been this pleased about a new player since Baz Nicholson) and hopefully this will stop the steady decline.

Actually starting to look forward to the new season now, and that shows a remarkable turnaround for me.

COYR!  :AFC2:

I'm not sure, I did read that Hartley was content in taking a fairly sizeable pay cut to go to Hearts, and I don't think they're offering a great deal more than us if at all - Radio Scotland reported that we actually offered Kyle more than he signed for Hearts.

Either way, it's a bit of a coup in the sense that we weren't really expecting a signing like this.

I'm feeling slightly more comfortable about the season starting now, but another signing of this nature would certainly be most welcome...

I`ve got it on good authority Hartley WILL BE going back to Tynecastle.  My local town side Duns played a Hearts XI last night and after their 2-0 success in a fundraising exercise for the Berwickshire team Jim Jefferies spoke about him bringing the ex-Jambo captain up the road for a second stint with the Gorgie club within the next few days.

So just watch this space.  And if by some miracle Hartley does join us I`ll apologise whole heartedly and sack my spy!

:wave:

I`ve got it on good authority Hartley WILL BE going back to Tynecastle.  My local town side Duns played a Hearts XI last night and after their 2-0 success in a fundraising exercise for the Berwickshire team Jim Jefferies spoke about him bringing the ex-Jambo captain up the road for a second stint with the Gorgie club within the next few days.

So just watch this space.  And if by some miracle Hartley does join us I`ll apologise whole heartedly and sack my spy!

When you sending your spy his P45? ;)

Think we are being a bit unfair on Seebass here. If it had not been for Mad Vlad's input Hartley would have been a Jambo by now. Glad he's not. Think he will provide a positivie influence on the team this year.

Which is why making any calls on Hearts is muggish in my opinion.

Hartley aims to restore Dons winning mentality

new skipper will lead from the front in bid to realise potential of young ones

By Michael Gannon

Published: 29/07/2010

Aberdeen’s new club captain Paul Hartley is thrilled to be Mark McGhee’s leader on the pitch and is determined to instal a winning mentality at Pittodrie.

Hartley’s two-year contract went through late yesterday afternoon.

With the formalities of his free transfer from Bristol City completed, the 33-year-old Scotland international was immediately named captain and has his sights on dragging the Dons out of their slumber and making Pittodrie a place for other teams to dread.

Hartley said: “The captaincy is a responsibility I have had at clubs in the past and it is a big honour. I think I am a good team player with a winning mentality.

“I am used to winning games over the years and that is the attitude I hope can rub off on some of the young players. I know Aberdeen are a massive club.

“They have challenged for honours throughout the years and we have to get back to that. It is all about installing a winning mentality. We need to get teams fearing coming to Pittodrie again.

“Your home form is absolutely vital in the SPL and every team coming to our place has to expect a hard game. This going to be a big season for the club.”

Hartley is not content with Aberdeen simply aiming to finish in the top six.

He added: “You do not like to set targets because a lot can happen throughout the year. You try to win as many games as possible. People talk about the top six, but we want to do better than just getting into the top half. We also want to win the cups.

“I have played against Aberdeen on numerous occasions so it is a club I know plenty about. I have had some decent results at Pittodrie and lots of tough games.

“It has not been going how they have wanted in recent years, but this is a new season with a lot of new faces.

“We want to gel together quickly and get results on the board. You have to get your best team performing as soon as possible.”

Hartley did not take much persuading to sign up to McGhee’s vision at Pittodrie. The Dons manager sees the midfielder as the perfect inspiration for his youthful squad.

Hartley added: “I am delighted to be at Aberdeen. I have been speaking to the club, Mark McGhee and Willie Miller since last week and it was a fairly straight-forward decision.

“When I heard what they wanted from me I was keen to be involved. I do not want to go into what happened with Hearts. I am at Aberdeen and that is all that matters.

“There was a bit of waiting about in the last day or so for things to be finalised, but now it is organised I am looking forward to getting started. It is a great challenge to play alongside all of these young players.

“My first thoughts when I saw the squad was I felt really old. It is a young group and the manager has been looking to bring in some experienced players. It will be my job to help them develop and improve as players.”

McGhee said: “Zander Diamond has done an admirable job as captain and will be vice-captain. Paul is someone he has looked up to for a number of years and he is looking forward to learning from him.

“We have got more than just a midfield player. We have got someone who has got great experience and strength of character. He will be a great role model.”

McGhee will turn his attention to landing former Charlton defender Grant Basey after all but ending his interest in Lee Hendrie and Robbie Williams.

McGhee will turn his attention to landing former Charlton defender Grant Basey after all but ending his interest in Lee Hendrie and Robbie Williams.

:-\

Couldn't care less about Hendrie but seems like potentially the only significant signing for anything other than the very short term would have been Williams.

If true then we've basically spunked all our money on a bunch of nobodies and a 33 year old.

Joy.

edit - dont know wtf went wrong there but i can't be arsed fixing it :)

:-\

Couldn't care less about Hendrie but seems like potentially the only significant signing for anything other than the very short term would have been Williams.

If true then we've basically spunked all our money on a bunch of nobodies and a 33 year old.

Joy.

edit - dont know wtf went wrong there but i can't be arsed fixing it :)

Not quite my own feelings, ie we've signed a good player and some no-ones.

If you look at the SPL outside of the evil empire, over the last couple of seasons several "nobodies" have come in and done a decent job.

Indicative of weakness in the SPL? Probably

Cause for despondancy re our signings? No.

I'm not remotely despondant. Just not seeing a stellar season despite one (I've said good but it's very good) very good signing.