Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hartley: DEAL IS DON (sic)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would leave the Lee Hendrie thing up in the air now :-\

Ok so we were going to offer record breaking wages (well over 3g a week) for Hendrie.  Surely if Hartley heard that he would be wanting at least the same and we surely cant afford two.  Actually wasnt Hartley going to be Hearts highest paid player if he went back ??? No sure canna mind.

Reading between the lines Hartley obviously wanted a move to the Jambos affore wiz but Hendrie never really talked about fancying going elsewhere (maybe because nobody showed any interest in him)  So surely Hendrie would be the better signing, or would he . . . . . . ???

Hartley is the type of character who very much gives his all to the cause, and can only be a good influence on the young squad around him. With his work rate, experience, and ability, he could be the best signing the club have made since Scott Severin in my opinion.

To the powers that be, please make this happen, and quickly, before Dundee United or Hibs get any funny ideas.

PS Any chance of Hendrie too or is that asking for too much?

Now McGhee sets sights on Hartley signing

Published: 27/07/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee’s rebuilding plans are focusing on his attempts to sign former Scotland midfielder Paul Hartley.

McGhee yesterday signed former Colchester United attacker Scott Vernon and former Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Yoann Folly on two-year contracts, and both will be included in tonight's pre-season friendly against Port Vale.

Former Huddersfield defender Robbie Williams is expected to complete his deal today and discussions are ongoing with former Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie.

Aberdeen are prepared to wait for Hartley.

McGhee believes Hearts are still the main competition, despite reports to the contrary, but the Dons are by no means out of the race.

The veteran’s fractious relationship with the Tynecastle club's owner, Vladimir Romanov, from his previous spell in the capital remains a stumbling block.

The 33-year-old has held talks with McGhee but the Dons manager is playing it cool. He said: “We won't dwell on Hartley because we have other targets we are pursuing. I expect to hear back from Williams today and (former Charlton defender) Grant Basey will rejoin us as well.

“Negotiations are still ongoing with Hendrie. There are some bits at pieces we are looking at from our end.

“We have done Vernon and Folly and we need to see what will be left of the budget after Lee.

“It is not a concern.”

McGhee was content with his swift piece of business to land Vernon.

The 26-year-old attacker arrives with plenty of experience following spells at Oldham, Blackpool and Colchester.

McGhee sees the Mancunian forward as the man to fill the void left following Lee Miller's departure to Middlesbrough in January.

He said: “Vernon will do a good job for us. He will hold up the ball and link up play. He is the replacement for Lee.”

McGhee was convinced by midfield anchorman Folly in pre-season matches. He said: “He is industrious and keeps possession. He has plenty of experience and I think it represents a good bit of business.”

Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield has remained with the squad at Loughborough but will not be available for another two weeks after scalding his foot with boiling water.

Defender Richard Foster has a slight Achilles strain and will not be risked against Port Vale.

McGhee said: “It is step up in terms of the quality of opposition. They will be a decent standard and we are expecting a tough game. If we take it lightly we will be made to pay.

“This will be a good workout for us. I will take the opportunity to look at a few players again.”

Hartley set for talks with Aberdeen FC

Midfielder to meet McGhee in England

By Ross McTavish

Published: 27/07/2010

PAUL Hartley was today set to leave Bristol City – and head for talks with Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee.

A spokesman for the player confirmed the midfielder was close to finalising his release from the English Championship club.

He was expected to travel to meet McGhee at their Loughborough training camp within the next 48 hours.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen FC were continuing talks with Lee Hendrie and Robbie Williams as McGhee admitted he wants to have all of his new faces in place before the weekend.

Probably end up with one or the other.

I would suggest that's a very optomistic viewpoint. There's obviously a stumbling block with the Hendrie deal, and the quotes in that article about Hartley dont really match the headline.

I think there's a very good chance we'll end up with the square root of fuck all.

But I'm that kind of guy.  ;)

I would be surprised if our budget could stretch to signing both Hendrie and Hartley. Probably end up with one or the other.

Totally, I think i'd prefer Hartley, as we know what he'd give the team. Hendrie i've not kept tabs on for years. In fact, I'd go as far to say i'd rather we signed Williams and Hartley, but if it does stretch that far, I wouldn't be complaining. But this is Aberdeen we're talking about, it cannot be this straight forward!