Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Trialists to play this weekend.

Mark McGhee has challenged his seven trialists to prove they should join the Aberdeen players on their week-long pre-season camp in England.

Former Aston Villa and England midfielder Lee Hendrie will join the six players who played at the weekend in the squad for tonight’s game at Dunfermline and the manager will retain those who impress for the trip.

He said: “It could be the trialists could come to England with us. The plan is to review the situation after tomorrow night but there is a good chance we may take them all with us.

“We know the opposition is going up another level from Sunday and we will put out a strong team but we still have the trialists and we have to be fair to them.

“Adnan Ahmed ended up wide right at times on Sunday against Peterhead and, to be fair to the lad, he is a central midfielder. He will get his opportunity to play in his proper position against Dunfermline.”

McGhee is used to taking in players on trial who have not made the grade but he has been impressed by the efforts of all those at the club. He admits choosing which players to release is not going to be easy.

He said: “We are trying to get as much value for our money as we can. We have brought in players we can afford to sign in positions we need to fill, but we need to whittle down the options further which will not be easy.

“Once we make the signings we will have done as well as we could in the circumstances.

“At times I have had trialists and thought how could they ever be good enough for us. But I could take any of the six guys here on board. Unfortunately, we cannot do it.

“If we do sign two, three or four of them they will bring strength to the squad.”

Talks with Hendrie are ongoing, while the Dons manager hopes to increase his efforts to bring Bristol City midfielder Paul Hartley to Pittodrie before he heads to England.

He said: “Hendrie has trained for two days and there is no doubting his quality from what we have seen. He is as fit as a butcher’s dog. I told him we would soon knock the suntan out of him.

“Hartley is in the process of negotiating his way out of Bristol City and once that has been agreed we will see what we can do. His agent told me Hartley no longer has an apartment in the city and is staying in a hotel in Bristol, so, clearly, he expects to be back in Scotland very soon.”

Mitch Megginson and Ryan Jack will join the first-team squad in England after impressing in pre-season training, while Derek Young and Peter Pawlett are expected to train in Middlesbrough on Friday with the players. Sone Aluko is expected to join his team-mates next week.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1835543#ixzz0uJ5a0nQf

Not Ahmed then?!? From what I've read, I thought he seemed to be the most promising of the lot, with Williams not far behind?

It says that Ahmed, Smith, Folly and Okus are still waiting to find out "their fate".  Maybe they're waiting to see how it goes with Hartley/Hendrie before offering him anything.

It says that Ahmed, Smith, Folly and Okus are still waiting to find out "their fate".  Maybe they're waiting to see how it goes with Hartley/Hendrie before offering him anything.

We're incredibly short on midfielders as it is are we not? So surely we should sign one of them up straight away, i.e. Ahmed, just to ensure we don't put all our eggs in 1 or 2 baskets.

We're incredibly short on midfielders as it is are we not? So surely we should sign one of them up straight away, i.e. Ahmed, just to ensure we don't put all our eggs in 1 or 2 baskets.

IMHO if they have not signed Ahmed yet they are stupid.