Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Why do you love AFC?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It was the nearest team to me.  I know living in Shetland that there are other team closer on the map but when we steamed south on the boat it stopped in Aberdeen and if we took the plane then there was no direct flights to Glasgow or Edinburgh so we had to get off in Aberdeen Airport.

Simples :thumbsup:

Only knew 3 teams in scottish football until I was about 12 and all the prik and cunts at my school supported rangers or celtic. Aberdeen seemed to be the team that pissed them off and my dad worked there so more chance of getting to see them.

And you cant switch sides once you have enlisted in the great war against cunts so 18 years later im stuck

Like quite a few of the others, I was born in Aberdeen, my dad supported them and despite moving south when I was 6, he would stil go to the games and take me sometimes.

I agree with Tom W, once you have a team, you just can't change it.

Plus I was really lucky, my first real football memory was the '76 cup final, I was 16 when we won the league at Easter Rd and being an all conquering Dons fan as a teenager was a gift from the footballing gods - especially living in the central belt.

Now, too many years later, and despite living thousands of miles away, I still feel the pain of our club's decline.

The reason I support Aberdeen - I was a toddler on holiday in Aberdeen with my family and my dad took me along to see Aberdeen training because he knew one of the reserve players (Alan Lyons) who had invited us along for the day.  At the end of it I got to kick my wee football about with (amongst others) Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan, Stuart Kennedy and Alex McLeish.  Ever since then, even though I was too young to appreciate who or what they were, my parents encouraged me to support Aberdeen rather than the OF and as I was fascinated by football that's what I did, and it helped my grandfather was a Dons fan too (everyone else in my family supports Celtic).

The reason I love Aberdeen - Other than the usual reason of "they're my team, so that's it", they just become part of your thought process and it inevitably links into your emotional system.  You wait all week for them to play and when they win it's brilliant, and we've (mostly) all seen some wonderful players over the years: Miller, McLeish, Leighton, Strachan, McGhee, Simpson, Weir, Theo, McDougall, Black, McKimmie, Grant, Bett, Mason, Nicholas, Gillhaus, Jess, Shearer, Richardson, Booth, Rougvie, Anderson and Hewitt...  Players like that made them an easy team to love, but the bigger reason is probably being swept along in the emotion of a game or a season with everyone else who follows the Dons.

At what point can your kids opt out? As my family are from the area and I indeed lived there for a few years I have no escape that I can see. But my son has been raised out-with of the area but loves Aberdeen at the age of 3. When we have a kick about he always wants to wear his Adeen strip and informs me that Adeen need us. I am concerned I may be subjecting him to 70 odd years of footballing misery and that he may hate me in later life.

Guest rocket debris

Born in Aberdeen. First sex in the city. First drink in the city. Just home. But I don't "love" AFC. Not any more. I despise what is happening to our club and I despise the retard wankers that post on AFC webchatspeaksites. Dunno if it's Milne or the retards that turn my stomach the most. AFC is an embarrassment to me, to the city that I do still love and to the North East. You faker weegie cocksuckers don't count.

Born in Aberdeen. First sex in the city. First drink in the city. Just home. But I don't "love" AFC. Not any more. I despise what is happening to our club and I despise the retard wankers that post on AFC webchatspeaksites. Dunno if it's Milne or the retards that turn my stomach the most. AFC is an embarrassment to me, to the city that I do still love and to the North East. You faker weegie cocksuckers don't count.

That's sad man.

Guest rocket debris

That's sad man.

Jeez, did you have a humour bypass after birth or is it genetic? Weegie cocksuckers was just a laff.

Jeez, did you have a humour bypass after birth or is it genetic? Weegie cocksuckers was just a laff.

Of course it was.  You're embarrassed by the club, you hate our greatest ever player and you've sullied the name of our greatest ever manager on these very pages as well.  Sad, indeed.

Guest rocket debris

Of course it was.  You're embarrassed by the club, you hate our greatest ever player and you've sullied the name of our greatest ever manager on these very pages as well.  Sad, indeed.

So I guess we don't understand each other then? Does this make me a sad person?

Partly 'I don't, it's just an excuse to get pished with mates.'

Partly 'I'm a sad-act and have nothing better to do.'

and Partly Other

I got in to supporting Aberdeen because of my dad. I had a season ticket when I was 9 years old and went with him every week.

I love football to the point of obsession (possibly a little less in the last few years as i have found other things to be goodly, also). Despite growing up in the north-east, I no longer consider it home, and I have no affiliation to Aberdeen, nor do I even particularly like the city.

Edinburgh is my home, and the city I love. If I had got in to football as an adult, rather than a youngster, I probably wouldn't be a don. However, that just isn't how it works so a dandy I am and a dandy I will always be.

The reason I support Aberdeen - I was a toddler on holiday in Aberdeen with my family and my dad took me along to see Aberdeen training because he knew one of the reserve players (Alan Lyons) who had invited us along for the day.  At the end of it I got to kick my wee football about with (amongst others) Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan, Stuart Kennedy and Alex McLeish.  Ever since then, even though I was too young to appreciate who or what they were, my parents encouraged me to support Aberdeen rather than the OF and as I was fascinated by football that's what I did, and it helped my grandfather was a Dons fan too (everyone else in my family supports Celtic).

The reason I love Aberdeen - Other than the usual reason of "they're my team, so that's it", they just become part of your thought process and it inevitably links into your emotional system.  You wait all week for them to play and when they win it's brilliant, and we've (mostly) all seen some wonderful players over the years: Miller, McLeish, Leighton, Strachan, McGhee, Simpson, Weir, Theo, McDougall, Black, McKimmie, Grant, Bett, Mason, Nicholas, Gillhaus, Jess, Shearer, Richardson, Booth, Rougvie, Anderson and Hewitt...  Players like that made them an easy team to love, but the bigger reason is probably being swept along in the emotion of a game or a season with everyone else who follows the Dons.

You could have saved yourself some typing and just admitted to being a glory hunter!  ;)

Was born in Aberdeen and was obsessed with football from a very early age - I remember wanting to go to Pittodrie for ages before my first game at the age of five. Although no-one in my immediate family is a don it was never a conscious decision, so its difficult to put a reason on why. Just coz for me too then...

Most of my scottish cousins were dons fans, and luckily for me one of them gave me an old away shirt and that was it. Its just grown and grown since then. As bobby says, it moulds you as a person and influences your thoughts. If i stopped i'd probably have to have crisis talks with myself. I'd have to start again. Last season the passion waned somewhat, but i don't think i was the only one.

Why do you think that is out of interest? For me my passion for the club was still the same, I was frustrated as hell watching it being honest but it did seem like the crowds spectacularly tailed off more than usual.