Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Steven MacLean

Nothing at all. You are such a cynical cunt aren't you? Couldn't it just be he fits in so well with the style of play, loves the hard work ethic at Pittodrie, has rediscovered his form and loves the city and the fans and shit?

Hes a necrophile?  :o

I've got a feeling he could have been a decent player for us. It doesn't sound like much but a 15 goals a season striker would be very welcome, and I think he'd be capable of that in an improved Aberdeen team. And as we all know, we're going to be shit-hot next season.  ;)

However if his agent is talking silly money he can fuck right off.

I've got a feeling he could have been a decent player for us. It doesn't sound like much but a 15 goals a season striker would be very welcome, and I think he'd be capable of that in an improved Aberdeen team.

agree with that.  I honestly think the guy is a good/ok player, but as with any other player who has sampled the lower English leagues knows he can get better money.  He sure as fuck isn't worth it, but if he can get it, we're a bit fucked aren't we?

On loan striker Steven MacLean insists Aberdeen are still in the race to sign him - despite manager Mark McGhee appearing to rule out a permanent move.

MacLean, who is likely to depart Plymouth for free this summer, scored his fifth Dons goal in the 1-1 draw at St Johnstone on Saturday.

"I'd definitely consider staying, it's a great club," the 27-year-old said.

"There's always a chance I'll be here, but I'm just focusing on scoring goals until the end of the season."

As reported by BBC Scotland on Friday, Dons' boss McGhee's hopes of pairing MacLean up front with Kilmarnock's Kevin Kyle next season are unlikely to bear fruit.

The wages of MacLean in particular - about £6,000 per-week at Plymouth, who will play third tier football in England next term - are a massive stumbling block.

But the former Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday forward has not closed the door on the Dons.

"I have three games to go which are three cup finals for myself," he told BBC Scotland.

"Hopefully, I can do well in those for Aberdeen and at the end of the season, sit down with whoever it may be and my agent and try to get myself sorted out.

"I'm contracted at Plymouth so I'll be going back there and we'll need to see what happens but it's been well documented that my future probably doesn't lie there."

MacLean added: "But, I'm not really thinking about my future at the minute, I'm just wanting to play three good games, get a couple of goals along the way and we'll take it from there."

The vast majority of MacLean's career has been in England and that is likely to continue.

Steven MacLean

He made his Rangers debut under Alex McLeish in December 2002 but would make just four sub appearances for the club before joining Scunthorpe United on loan, where he scored 25 goals.

Spells at Hillsborough and Cardiff City followed before a so-far, unsuccessful move to Plymouth.

But how does the SPL compare to the English lower-leagues where the finances blow Scotland's top-flight out of the water?

"The SPL takes a lot of stick down the road," he said. "We could be be doing with a few more teams in the league up here but there's a good standard.

"If you look at the players that come from the SPL and go down south, it shows you there are quality players.

"The financial side of things is higher in the Championship but there are good players and some good sides in Scotland."

MacLean's strike against St Johnstone was his second in two games, with the point at McDiarmid Park enough to guarantee Aberdeen's SPL safety.

It was far from a goal of the season contender, but MacLean was not bothered about that.

"I'd take 20 of them a season," he added. "I'd rather score them than the screamers from 20-yards to be honest as it was a proper striker.

"I'm not known for scoring quality goals. I'll take them off the shins or off the backsides any day of the week."

To be honest I'd rather see a target man (preferably not Kyle but if needs must), but I definately don't want to spunk our wage budget away on strikers if it is at the expense of the defense or the midfield. I'd be happy seeing Paton and Mogwaii up front together at least until christmas if we managed to do something about the quality of service up to them, the midfield stopper and the 2 or more defenders we desperately need.

• 3 weeks later...